Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, turning to UG for ideas/ suggestions for a high gain amp to play "hardcore" stuff or metal.

The closest band i think i would like to replicate would be Bullet for my Valentine.

What the amp needs: Good Hi gain channel and Good clean channel
Reverb would be a BIG plus

It would be run with a Gibson les paul standard (no emgs, regular burstbucker pups) with a TS808.

Budget... well at most $3000 usd.. but thats pushing it

what i had in mind:
Mesa Recto roadster (or roadking)
Orange Rockerverb 50
Peavey 6505
engl fireball

any comments or suggestions regarding the amps? or maybe new suggestions?

Thanks!
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
BFMV uses 5150's and Mesa rectos.

So you'd be good with either of those... But you will get zero versatility with the 5150. I.e. no cleans. If that's fine with you, you can find them for like 500. But if you have 3000... I would say Bogner Uberschall or similar to that.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
did you check the Powerball from ENGL? plenty of power and 4 channels, i got GAS with german slut
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Combo or Head?
New or Used?
can you just get a Reverb Pedal?

Quote by c0m2011
BFMV uses 5150's and Mesa recto CABS.

Fixed
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Not sure how much Diezel's go for across the pond but you could research them.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Look into a Rect-o-Verb. You'll hear people say they don't have enough gain, but in reality with the right pedals and tweaking, you'll get a killer tone out of it.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
well i have access to mesa's oranges, and peavey's...
as far as bogners, i have considered the uberschall, but have not tried it, nor checked its availability, same goes for diesel amps.

I believe BFMV do use triple rectos.. not just cabs (i think padge uses the trip recto, and tuck the 6505)

as for reverb, if not available on the amp i would be able to get pedal or something like that.

i prefer new, as i dont like to mess around with used gear, format - head only.

i would say the most important thing would be getting a great metal tone from one channel and a great clean tone from another, i remember i have tried an engl a while ago, but should go test some stuff out this weekend
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Diezel Einstein or a Herbert if you get lucky
Bogner Uberschall
Framus Cobra
Mesa Road King
ENGL SE

None are 50w (except the Einstein 50 - And arguably the RK, though it's switchable and will change the tone), but at that amount of wattage, 50W more doesn't really matter
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Diezel Einstein or a Herbert if you get lucky
Bogner Uberschall
Framus Cobra
Mesa Road King
ENGL SE

None are 50w (except the Einstein 50 - And arguably the RK, though it's switchable and will change the tone), but at that amount of wattage, 50W more doesn't really matter

This, you can get one used for $3000. They're 100 watts, but they sound so damn good it doesnt matter.

Quote by c0m2011
BFMV uses 5150's and Mesa rectos.

So you'd be good with either of those... But you will get zero versatility with the 5150. I.e. no cleans. If that's fine with you, you can find them for like 500. But if you have 3000... I would say Bogner Uberschall or similar to that.

6505s are versatile, they just dont have cleans
the + cleans are ok if chorused and reverbed
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Adrian89
did you check the Powerball from ENGL? plenty of power and 4 channels, i got GAS with german slut

some ppl say the fpowerball doesnt cutthrough as much as the fireball,

i'm gonna try em soon but man i want an engl
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
Get an Uberschall.
IF YOU CAN, a twin jet uberschall.
They are so goood.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
hmmm i wonder if anyone has bogner in the great white north....The ubershcalls seem to be very popular

Edit: just found out the only local dealer for bogner has the twin jet and regular uberschall, any guesses as to where im going this weekend?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Last edited by Professor Fate at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Holy-Diver
6505s are versatile, they just dont have cleans
the + cleans are ok if chorused and reverbed

uhh what?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Bogner Alchemist 40W? It can do pretty high-gain metal on its own, at least in my opinion. I have tried it out personally.

Randall RG50TC? Never tried it out but it seems right up your alley.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
No one has mentioned the Peavey JSX 50 watter. Might wanna look into that.

People will bitch about 6505 cleans, which is a valid concern I suppose, but there's no excuse for not being able to get a decent clean tone out of the 6505+ with proper EQing and usage of the guitar's volume knob. If I were BFMV, I'd laugh at anyone that needed to buy a $4500 amp to get my sound.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by HellBoy9393
Bogner Alchemist 40W? It can do pretty high-gain metal on its own, at least in my opinion. I have tried it out personally.

With a budget of $3k, I doubt TS will be looking at an RG50TC.
Quote by HellBoy9393

I think he can do better than the Alchemist for metal. It's not really geared towards that sort of thing, and it's kinda loose, even if it does have decent amounts of gain. The Randall is good, but he's got a pretty high budget, and could do way better.

Framus Cobra
Engl Invader, Engl Savage
Soldano Decatone (The nicest amp I've ever tried)
VHT/Fryette Sig:X

Those are the main ones I'd look for. Also, the new MG's are pretty good...

Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Just because his budget is 3k doesn't mean he has to use all of it.

Why do you need 3k to get a BMFV sound anyway?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Does it have to be 50 watts?
If so then a maybe a Marshall JVM 205H, or a DSL 50... Single Rectifier? Rockerverb?

If you want to look at 100 watters, I suggest you check out the Engl Fireball 100.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Well, I was gonna suggest a Mesa Boogie F-50, until I saw your budget .

Definitely look into a nice boutique head if you can afford it. I'd look at Bogner, Framus, ENGL, or Soldano with that kind of money.

Also, don't worry if the head you end up getting is 100 watts, you're not going to need to push it very hard if you're just looking for a good metal tone and cleans.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
If you want a hella versatile amp that can really do it all try out the Diezel Einstein.

It really can do everything except the most doomy of doom metal.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Well to answer some concearns, i do not need 3K amp to do bfmv, but, i am trying to find an amp that could do metal quite nicely, and please note this wouldnt be death metal or anything (which i would consider extreme) like bohemoth.

the reason i would through 3k at it, is because there is no need getting something of lower quality of i want to last, i understand that even with 1k id be able to get middle range tube amp, but 3k was the projection for the mesa road king, so 3k it is for pretty much anything.

I have no problem with spending less, but please note id like to be able to try out the amp before buying as some options like diesels seem quite distant

Please also note, as cheap as i am, things that cost over 1k i'd like to buy new just soid have my ass covered by the store as i have terrible luck with **** going wrong.

Other than that, this weekend ill prolly get the chanse to try out the road king side to side with the uberschall...
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Ok so i went to store.

Tried out the Bogner Uberschall Twin ($3K canadian)
The mesa Roadster (road king wasnt there, $2.2K Canadian)
Kosh 50w something (dont know the price)
EVH 5150III ($2.5K tax included)

i tried it with my gibson les paul.

Verdict:
Bogner is awesome gain times a million. but i hate the clean channel it was not clean at all! which is unfortunate. the price tag was a downer to. other then that it is the apocolypse of metal amps.

Mesa Roadster - pretty decent, but doesnt put the full out gain channel as much as id like (same with the rectos) good price, very versatile, but sounds abit toooo processed...meh

Kosh - meh... was not impressed.

Evh - really really really like the tone it put out. sucks that the switches are on the back though, but other then that, i am very pleased with it, really want to try out the peavey too though, that will be my next trip's objective. price is a bit high, but for the difference in the bogner id invest in a nice rack stereo reverb in that case

any suggestions?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Used Soldano SLO100.
Used Soldano Hot Rod 50.
Used VHT Pitbull CL
Used Hiwatt High Gain
Reeves High Gain 100/50
Titan
mesa roadster/roadking
bogner uberschall
splawn nitro (i highly recommend this one, KSE uses them)
ENGL fireball
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by c0m2011
uhh what?

they have a large variety of rock gain levels, from low-mid to extremely high
and the plus can achieve cleans. one day forumites will realize this
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Well i was really impressed the the fender/EVH 5150 III, and tomorrow i'll go check out peavey's take on it with the 6505,

on that note, does anyone have any suggestions to test things out that would sound about the same? (the only i just realized about the 5150iii is that they are made in mexico and for that price... but i mean who cares as long as it works right?)

so if there are anny suggestions in that matter....
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
The 5150 III is based on the Soldano SLO-100.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
are those 50w?

i think not.

there are 60w versions of all of them buddy.

also t/s the difference between 100w and 50w is very small sonically. if you like an amp that is not 50w just go for it, you will get more headroom and if the its is preamp gain based like the 5150 you dont need to crank it to get a decent tone in your bedroom.
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by lucertia.

You do know the wait on a new Cameron amp is several years long at this point? And the word going around is that he's having some serious problems and might not make amps anymore.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by lucertia.
there are 50w versions of all of them buddy.

also the difference between 100w and 50w is very small.

headroom.

THe baron only come is a 90watt because of the Kt88 tubes. the Wait for a Cameron is 3 YEARS. the mako DOES NOT come in a 50w.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Professor Fate
Ok so i went to store.

Tried out the Bogner Uberschall Twin ($3K canadian)
The mesa Roadster (road king wasnt there, $2.2K Canadian)
Kosh 50w something (dont know the price)
EVH 5150III ($2.5K tax included)

i tried it with my gibson les paul.

Verdict:
Bogner is awesome gain times a million. but i hate the clean channel it was not clean at all! which is unfortunate. the price tag was a downer to. other then that it is the apocolypse of metal amps.

Mesa Roadster - pretty decent, but doesnt put the full out gain channel as much as id like (same with the rectos) good price, very versatile, but sounds abit toooo processed...meh

Kosh - meh... was not impressed.

Evh - really really really like the tone it put out. sucks that the switches are on the back though, but other then that, i am very pleased with it, really want to try out the peavey too though, that will be my next trip's objective. price is a bit high, but for the difference in the bogner id invest in a nice rack stereo reverb in that case

any suggestions?

Did you use the volume knob on your guitar for cleans too?
It helps.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
BTW, I played a Framus Dragon a few days ago and thought it was awesome. You might want to try one out.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
headroom.

THe baron only come is a 90watt because of the Kt88 tubes. the Wait for a Cameron is 3 YEARS. the mako DOES NOT come in a 50w.

The baron i showed was not the same on you are on about, it DOES have a 60w variation, plus ive emailed Baron and Mako and they both do 50w versions buddy (they are custom amp builders after all) Also i was referring to the VOLUME difference which TS is obviously concerned about. I explained headroom in the post.

Camerons is well worth the wait (TS you could always get something else and trade up later)
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 5, 2009,
Page 1 of 2