Hi all,

I've been playing guitar for about a year after getting in to it while in the final year of University. As I was a (poor) student at the time and I had never played before, I bought some pretty cheap equipment to ensure I didn't waste money. I currently own:

A Fender Frontman 10G Amp,
A Johnson Telecaster w/ EMG Pickups (it's here for anybody interested)

(Stop laughing )

Obviously, I was aware that they weren't the best stuff in the world, but needs must at the time.

Anyway, now I am confident that this isn't a passing trend, I'm stuck on what to upgrade. I have already read the commandments, and am aware that the Amp makes a huge difference to the sound rather than the actual guitar.

My current problem though, is that when I play the low E string, I get a metallic buzzing noise, whether played open or not. I'm not sure what to call this noise, fret buzz maybe? I've made a recording of it, available here (sorry about wma codec and crappy file host):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vhqmka

I'm still just about making ends meet, so purchasing both isn't currently an option, nor is sending it away for some expensive treatement. Is this noise fixable? What is it? If not, will a better amp soften it so the noise doesn't overpower the other notes?
I've tried changing the string, as well as tuning it up/down but the noise continues and I'm concerned I'm going to have to buy a new guitar and stick with my current amp.

Sorry if any of these are silly questions, I don't tend to read the forums outside of song recommendation and the like of, nor do I know any other guitarists so I'm a bit behind on terminology and all that.
Last edited by Pulsex at Oct 1, 2009,
if you look used you could probably pick up some decnt gear for a good price. how much can you afford to spend?
I suppose it depends.

If I REALLY, REALLY, MUST HAVE something, then I can save for it.

Apart from that, I'd be lucky to scrape £100 at the moment, which is why I was thinking one or the other to upgrade really.
I try to play a bit of everything as I'm just learning at the moment, but I tend to play Classic Rock or Indie to be honest.

Sorry, for not putting these in earlier
You're gonna want to fix your amp deal first before the guitar. But it also depends on whether or not you play with other people or what kind of power needs you have. 100 isn't gonna get you a whole lot unless you can find someone who doesn't know what they're doing who is selling something.
So will a new amp do anything to drown out whatever that noise is and can I do anything to lessen/fix it?

How much would I realistically need for a low end amp that isn't extremely poor on the second hand market (presuming I don't meet up with anybody like you described)?
One of the modeling amps would be good I think. Look at the Vox Valvetronix series, Fender Super Champ, or like an Epiphone Valve Junior are all decent amps for the price that I've found. Those are all under 200 USD I know, not sure what the conversion rate is. Sounds like you need to raise the action a little bit on that string.
Quote by cmalmo4
One of the modeling amps would be good I think. Look at the Vox Valvetronix series, Fender Super Champ, or like an Epiphone Valve Junior are all decent amps for the price that I've found. Those are all under 200 USD I know, not sure what the conversion rate is.

The conversion means I'll have to save a little bit more, but I'm sure I can get it together.

Sounds like you need to raise the action a little bit on that string.

Umm...ok. As soon as I Google what that means and how to do it, I'll get right on it

Thanks for your help, btw