What do you guys think? any experience with them?
I've never owned a bass before and to be honest I don't know what to look for when it comes to specs.
I am a bit worried about budget, too.

I primarily write is metal but I wanted to bass as a bit of a ticket into more groovier or progressive style rock. The likes of anekdoten and such.

I want fretless because it's different to what I'm used to and seems like a fun challenge.

Have a look at these 2.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product746.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1825.html

Thanks in advance
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
I like the style, but the prices. I'm sorry, I can't help but if they are decent starter fretless, I'd buy it now...
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck
I like the style, but the prices. I'm sorry, I can't help but if they are decent starter fretless, I'd buy it now...

I don't really understand what you mean, sorry
These are really nice basses. However, if you've never had a bass before i don't recommend getting a fretless without fret markers at least.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
These are really nice basses. However, if you've never had a bass before i don't recommend getting a fretless without fret markers at least.

well yeah, I'd need to chalk them on myself or something. That's half the fun though right?
I'm not worried about playing the thing. I've got time to learn. More worried about the quality of those guitars mentioned
If your looking at these as your first bass, I would recommend against them, especially the first one. Learning bass on a 6 string fretless sounds like hell. The FAQ has a bunch of great starter basses listed off, but if your heart is set on a fretless, I'd suggest the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz bass (it has fret lines on it, so it would be easier to learn on then an unmarked fretless too).
What I ment to say was that the prices are amazing for a fretless 6er, but I'd be worried about the quality. If Rondo is a good name for cheap basses, I'd definatly take that offer.
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck
What I ment to say was that the prices are amazing for a fretless 6er, but I'd be worried about the quality. If Rondo is a good name for cheap basses, I'd definatly take that offer.

I see. Yeah Rondo is known for being very very cheap but decent quality.

I can't see what's so hard about learning bass on a 6 string. I can actually play bass already so it's not very foreign to me.

Also, I don't want a marked fretboard. or spend too much money.

For the products themselves, how are the specs? the 5 string is $100 more than the 6.
Why is that?
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Oct 2, 2009,
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1521.html

I can't really help in your situation.. but this was the one I bought. It outplays about 4 or 5 of the MIM Fenders that I played (no other ones available around here) for a fraction of the price. Just my two cents.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
that is very cheap. I guess it's worth the risk. it's not too expensive and probably won't depreciate in value too much either.
Quote by GaijinFoot
I see. Yeah Rondo is known for being very very cheap but decent quality.

I can't see what's so hard about learning bass on a 6 string. I can actually play bass already so it's not very foreign to me.

For the products themselves, how are the specs? the 6 string is $100 more than the 5.
Why is that?
Generally as you add more strings, if it's in the same series it increases in various increments ($50 is common), basically it's just because you need to add an extra tuner, make the bass itself a little bigger, a slightly larger pickup, bridge, etc...
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck

the almost seem to go to be true but rondo has some great basses for the price, granted their nothing too amazing but probably better than your average beginner bass
As far as I know crappy electronics are why these are so cheap. They do look like they could be great project basses though.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Yeah these are GREAT basses for the price.

Never played their fretless but fretted ones are really good.
Even the 99$ ones.

The pups are too bad.
And it has a night feel.

I would get it if I were you.

If you've never played bass before, I would definitely get a bass with fret markers.
Why don't you want marked? You'll have terrible intonation since you've never played bass before.
Steve - Sorry I made a typo. The 5 string is more expensive than the 6. I guess it's because of the specs but I don't know what to look for.

Cal1 - That's a good point as well. I've always wanted to mod my guitar but worried it'd hit it's resale price.

Gwath - I guess because it doesn't look like a fretless with the markers on, shallow I know.
But violinist use chalk until it becomes natural to them.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Just a question though, does it warrant getting the 5 string even though it is $100 more than a 6?
It'll be easier to learn on, and higher quality...I don't see why you shouldn't.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It'll be easier to learn on, and higher quality...I don't see why you shouldn't.

get fretted?
I can play bass. I don't need to learn. I say that quite loosely. I should say, I can play my bands tracks on a fretted bass.
I'm not really a beginner, just never owned a bass.
That's why I like the idea of fretless. Because I would be a beginner again. And I'd have to re-learn songs with a different mindset.

Anyway, about the basses, why is the 5 string more expensive than the 6?
Quote by GaijinFoot

For the products themselves, how are the specs? the 5 string is $100 more than the 6.
Why is that?

One is a "Douglas", the other's a "Brice". The Brice is Rondo's top tier line (or close to it).
Upgrades include... body wood, matching headstock, maple finish, 35" scale, string thru bridge, active/passive switch, separate battery compartment...

Learning on a six string shouldn't be any more difficult then on a four. Same notes, same theory. Guitar players don't start on four string guitars.

One thing on the unlined models. I've read, repeat, read, that the side position markers may not be in the correct locations on some of the basses. Make sure you speak with someone at Rondo and confirm the position marker lay out.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
One is a "Douglas", the other's a "Brice". The Brice is Rondo's top tier line (or close to it).
Upgrades include... body wood, matching headstock, maple finish, 35" scale, string thru bridge, active/passive switch, separate battery compartment...

Learning on a six string shouldn't be any more difficult then on a four. Same notes, same theory. Guitar players don't start on four string guitars.

One thing on the unlined models. I've read, repeat, read, that the side position markers may not be in the correct locations on some of the basses. Make sure you speak with someone at Rondo and confirm the position marker lay out.

Thanks. That was really helpful.
I think I'll probably get the Brice then. I've given myself the project of learning Death's Symbolic album. Be cool to record the bass parts too.

Thanks a lot.
Quote by GaijinFoot
Thanks. That was really helpful.
I think I'll probably get the Brice then. I've given myself the project of learning Death's Symbolic album. Be cool to record the bass parts too.

Thanks a lot.

Symbolic wasn't fretless. You're thinking of Individual Thought Patterns and Human.

Have fun with fretless though. It's a great experience.
The douglas may be good, but I've never had experience with them.

I bought a Brice Z6 fretless off Rondo, it gets the job done. but it's like a girlfriend with mood swings, different every day, I have to fight with it a lot.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by CurbstompBass
Symbolic wasn't fretless. You're thinking of Individual Thought Patterns and Human.

Have fun with fretless though. It's a great experience.

Yeah I wasn't really trying to make a connection with the fretless and Symbolic. It just happens to be what I'm doing at the moment and a bass would be great.
Between the brands id choose bryce. Its better by way off a lot compared with douglas, not saying this one is bad, bryce is just better hehe.

Dont worry with rondo and their instruments, they are fine instruments for a fair price. Id take an SX or bryce bass anytime =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Hobble
The douglas may be good, but I've never had experience with them.

I bought a Brice Z6 fretless off Rondo, it gets the job done. but it's like a girlfriend with mood swings, different every day, I have to fight with it a lot.

That sounds like my bass' tone... Anyways, I'd suggest you start with one with fret lines that's 4 strings. But above all, find one that you can try to get a general feel for it.
I'll get the bryce then.
I really don't want fret lines or a 4 string for the simple reason that I don't plan to turn buying bass guitars into a habit.
Also, again, I can play the bass, I took to it really well after a few years playing guitar.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. Really helpful
Ibanez makes a decent 4 string SR fretless fur a little under $300. It has lines, passive pickups with and active eq.