So my science class was talking about how very little, and how eventually human behavior would be predictable. So I got to thinking that if human behavior was predictable than what do you do if whatever means of predicting behavior says this guy will eventually commit a murder. On one hand you may be wrong and be punishing a man unjustly, but on the other hand if you're right then an innocent person dies. Now I know it seems unlikely, and I'm not here to talk about the likeliness of this happening, but hypothetically, which is better?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Whew.

At least it wasn't about banging a 70+ yr old gal for gear.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
innocent until proven guilty?
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by Century
innocent until proven guilty?

Yeah, but I mean if you have a proven method of predicting this. Kind of like Minority Report.
The answer?

Moral nihilism! There is no answer!

i just had to write an essay on this, i cannot be bothered to give you a full answer. pm me if unhappy.
If we could accurately predict behaviour to that degree we would almost certianly also have mechanisms to change it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by webbtje
The answer?

Moral nihilism! There is no answer!

i just had to write an essay on this, i cannot be bothered to give you a full answer. pm me if unhappy.

Post the damn essay!!

Quote by CrossBack7
minority report?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Quote by tayroar
Yeah, but I mean if you have a proven method of predicting this. Kind of like Minority Report.
I KNEW that was what this was about. Great movie, btw.
Quote by Momentosis
Post the damn essay!!

Spent a week on it. It's mine.

Also it's shit.
Last edited by webbtje at Oct 1, 2009,
What do you punish them for?

The intent to murder, or murder? You can't possibly charge them with murder if they haven't killed anyone yet.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
If we could accurately predict behaviour to that degree we would almost certianly also have mechanisms to change it.

This. But the Idea of predicting behaviour makes absolutely no sense to me.
There was a movie made about this thing....

Minority Report,Well kinda...
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I'm not so convinced of that. We as people have to learn something before we put in mechanisms against it. Like at the beginning of WWI we tried the whole gentlemen's war tactic with machine guns. Then someone realized that alot of soldiers were getting mowed down, and that's when they decided to dig trenches. Technology often times moves faster than sense.

Quote by Who66
This. But the Idea of predicting behaviour makes absolutely no sense to me.

Well, the way we were talking about it is during the scientific revolution they decided everything is predictable, I mean with electrons being random its possible that we can't be predicted, but the idea was that everything included us.
Last edited by tayroar at Oct 1, 2009,
*Runs into thread panting and stands with hands on knees*

Ok guys... I just went to google, then image search, then photobucket and ran all the way back here.

*pants*

But I think I got the picture I wanted.

A Celebration For The Death Of Man...

Quote by Madison Perella

Thats not even sensible I base myself like this I like power I don't understand emotion. Knowledge is key and fire pokemon own.

Quote by webbtje
Spent a week on it. It's mine.

Also it's shit.

What's the use of writing something if you're not going to share???

Pretty please??

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by tayroar

I would say let them live their lives. It is wrong to throw someone in jail for a crime they did not commit. And if you are able to predict their actual behavior, then why not just have 2 cops stay over with the suppose victim on the day they are suppose to be murder?
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

We can't throw a man in jail because he hasn't done anything wrong, but we could prevent the occurrence. But I believe in free will over predestination, and don't think any person's actions will be "predictable enough" soon enough to do enough about it.
Quote by tayroar
I'm not so convinced of that. We as people have to learn something before we put in mechanisms against it. Like at the beginning of WWI we tried the whole gentlemen's war tactic with machine guns. Then someone realized that alot of soldiers were getting mowed down, and that's when they decided to dig trenches. Technology often times moves faster than sense.

I'm just going by the way the science concerning he human mind is currently working. Accurately predicting behaviour is next to impossible, but changing behaviour is very possible.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Momentosis
What's the use of writing something if you're not going to share???

Pretty please??

"The difficulty of whether something is right or wrong can lie in different interpretations and views on morality or certain issues; where a more relativist view (such as that of B) might believe that there is no such thing as a certain right, wrong or universal moral stance, the absolutist might prefer to say that we are all bound by certain key principles (in this case the 'wrongness' of rape)."

I realise it's utter bollocks. I spent most of the week drinking heavily with my flatmates. But fuck it, I'm doing law, they can't seriously expect me to put too much effort into an essay about morality.

WEBBDIT: Urgh, it doesn't even make sense. I'd be surprised if that's even a pass.
Last edited by webbtje at Oct 1, 2009,
If we were given an accurate portrayal of our future, wouldn't it be easy to even unknowingly sabotage it?
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Von.
If we were given an accurate portrayal of our future, wouldn't it be easy to even unknowingly sabotage it?

Nope.

Your son would end up killing you and ****ing your wife.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by tayroar

but the system can be beat!
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Ok... I go all the way to google and photobucket and post a relevant pic and everyone ignores me.

U guys are assholes I'm gonna go listen to linkin park
A Celebration For The Death Of Man...

Quote by Madison Perella

Thats not even sensible I base myself like this I like power I don't understand emotion. Knowledge is key and fire pokemon own.

Quote by gridlockSG400
Ok... I go all the way to google and photobucket and post a relevant pic and everyone ignores me.

It wasn't very relevant.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by gridlockSG400

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by gridlockSG400

There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.