Page 1 of 3
title. inspired by seeing Bill and Teds excellent adventure again and being in a history class whose textbook blows and whose writers cant get Ben Franklin and T Jefferson's balls out of their mouth.

im goin with Socrates. besides bein a ****ing genius of his time, he taught Plato, who taught Aristotle, who taught Alexander the Great. and those people had a tremendous impact.

i could also go with Martin Luther (not the civil rights guy). he went up against the almighty Catholic church and started the Protestant church. now there are thousands of divisions of Christianity. he showed u could stand up to authority, takin power away from that church and its often corrupt priests. he converted the bible, only written in latin which only a few rich educated people could read, into German, so people didnt have to rely on priests to tell them about the bible.

o yeah. and to add controversy, u have to name real people, so Jesus is not an answer.
Lou Reed
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Quote by daytripper75
You can't possibly pick ONE person.

i think jesus is a pretty clear choice.

Quote by toaster poodle
Lou Reed

nevermind, that wins.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Nikola Tesla.

At least to the modern world.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Either Einstein, Bose, or Hawking. Bose-Einstein Condensate FTMFW.

Of course this is merely my opinion. But clearly Einstein opened up the world to an immense amount of new things for the field of science. And without Bose, we may not even know about the bose-einstein condensates today. Also Hawking because he is the Einstein of our time.
Last edited by Daffodil Lament at Oct 1, 2009,
Probably Jade Goody.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Jesus Christ is rather competitive for this title...
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by genghisgandhi
jesus was real, and he shaped the history of the world, weather you believe in his teachings or not

I would agree with this. In terms of influence on the modern world, probably Jesus Christ. Or even perhaps Mohammed. I would think Jesus has had more influence than Mohammed though.

Just because I feel like disagreeing with TS today, I also would say that Plato is more influential than Socrates. Even though Socrates did teach Plato and Plato was certainly influenced by him, Socrates never wrote anything down. Everything we know of him was written by Plato. And in Plato's writings, Socrates is used as a fictional character as well as the factual philosopher, so it is very hard to discern the true Socrates. We don't really know if what the character of Socrates says in Plato's writings comes from the mouth of Socrates or from the mouth of Plato. So just because we don't really know much about Socrates and he didn't write anything down, I would say Plato is more influential
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
i think jesus is a pretty clear choice.

Oh I dunno, Jesus was only the originator of one of three different monotheistic religions that together influence most of the global population, so it stands to reason that historicaly, it'd be whoever invented monotheism, and as far as we know, that was the Egyptian pharoah Akhenaten.
Quote by genghisgandhi
jesus was real, and he shaped the history of the world, weather you believe in his teachings or not

Jesus did fuck all.

He preached the teachings he had learned, and made a few of his own. He was then martyred, and people found that all amazing and decided to form a faith around him.

Regardless of his existence, the actual man himself did absolutely nothing to shape the world. It was the people who followed him and spread his word that did so, for better or worse (mostly worse).

Saxo-Walrus

Michael Angelo Batio.

If it weren't for him we wouldnt have sweeps like we have them today. He was revolutionary.
Jesus. Is it really a competition?
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by namesroverrated
I would agree with this. In terms of influence on the modern world, probably Jesus Christ. Or even perhaps Mohammed. I would think Jesus has had more influence than Mohammed though.

Just because I feel like disagreeing with TS today, I also would say that Plato is more influential than Socrates. Even though Socrates did teach Plato and Plato was certainly influenced by him, Socrates never wrote anything down. Everything we know of him was written by Plato. And in Plato's writings, Socrates is used as a fictional character as well as the factual philosopher, so it is very hard to discern the true Socrates. We don't really know if what the character of Socrates says in Plato's writings comes from the mouth of Socrates or from the mouth of Plato. So just because we don't really know much about Socrates and he didn't write anything down, I would say Plato is more influential

i agree partially. ive only read the Republic and the Apology though, so im not the Plato authority. he also opened the academy which was important. but, without Socrates there would be no Plato. Socrates death in itself was pretty important as well. idk, my vote still goes to Socrates, even tho im a fan of Platos theory of forms.
Quote by fallenangel20
Jesus did fuck all.

He preached the teachings he had learned, and made a few of his own. He was then martyred, and people found that all amazing and decided to form a faith around him.

Regardless of his existence, the actual man himself did absolutely nothing to shape the world. It was the people who followed him and spread his word that did so, for better or worse (mostly worse)

thats the point. slipknot fans say slipknot is the best band ever, even though they are not. Slipknot is doing nothing to spread this, it just happens. Its the same principle.
Quote by fallenangel20
Jesus did fuck all.

Regardless of his existence, the actual man himself did absolutely nothing to shape the world. It was the people who followed him and spread his word that did so, for better or worse (mostly worse).

I think the point is that Christianity has had a huge influence on the world and Christianity started with Jesus. It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do, for the purposes of this conversation, he, possibly inadvertantly, influenced a lot of people.
How about Constantine? He basically legitimized Christianity.

If he hadn't done what he did then there is a chance we wouldn't even care about Jesus today.
Quote by fallenangel20
Jesus did fuck all.

Someone needs a hug
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by genghisgandhi
without jesus, he would be nothing. his claim to fame is christianity

But he legitimized Christianity. Without him we might not even be talking about Jesus today.
Quote by daytripper75
How about Constantine?

This.

Christianity (basically) started with Constantine. There were small sects before him, but when Constantine converted and made it the state religion, THAT'S when it all took hold.

That was also years and years after Jesus' death.

My point still stands. Jesus =/= The greatest most influential person ever.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by fallenangel20
This.

Christianity (basically) started with Constantine. There were small sects before him, but when Constantine converted and made it the state religion, THAT'S when it all took hold.

My point still stands. Jesus =/= The greatest person ever.

no one in this thread said that (the greatest person ever is the second guy in my user name)
Quote by daytripper75
How about Constantine?

Well he introduced Christianity to the Roman Empire which caused it to become a major religion, but he was just one of many people who had a huge influence on Christianity, and if Jesus never existed, then neither would Christianity.
Quote by fallenangel20
This.

At least someone is smart enough to agree with me.

Quote by SlackerBabbath
Well he introduced Christianity to the Roman Empire which caused it to become a major religion, but he was just one of many people who had a huge influence on Christianity, and if Jesus never existed, then neither would Christianity.

and if it wasn't for Constantine then we probably wouldn't be having this debate.
Quote by fallenangel20
This.

Without Constantine, Christianity wouldn't be considered nearly as influential.
Without Christianity, Constantine wouldn't be considered nearly as influential.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by fallenangel20
This.

No one said he was the greatest person ever. In fact, I would think most people on this forum would definitely agree with you. We're talking most influential person in history, not the greatest person ever.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by daytripper75
At least someone is smart enough to agree with me.

Quote by namesroverrated
No one said he was the greatest person ever. In fact, I would think most people on this forum would definitely agree with you. We're talking most influential person in history, not the greatest person ever.

Greatest. Influential. Whatever. Sorry for making a typo in my flurry of typing keys.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by genghisgandhi
without jesus, he would be nothing. his claim to fame is christianity

+1 Constantine

was Jesus ever a real person though?
I believe that the last dinosaur to have breathed the last dinosaur breath is in fact the most important person in history. Out of this breath it spawned a new life and a civilization to run the hillsides and seas and then to rape them. It continued life, therefore it is important.
I'm gonna say Jesus

He did sort of preach to us about God and heaven and all that, pretty important stuff if you believe in that, and his teachings are followed by millions all over the world after 2 thousand years
Kanye West.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Page 1 of 3