so what defines heavy to you? in your opinion, what are some of the heaviest songs/bands/albums?

no genre blasting.
no discussion of breakdowns.
no talk of tunings (unless to state that it doesnt make anything heavier )

GO FORTH AND SPEAK
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Has to pound my ears. Cock reference not intended. I don't care if it's fast or slow. It's not really something that can be quantified. For example, None So Vile is heavy as fuck, all of it, even though it is, at times, really melodic. I think that's mostly down to tone and the way in which Levasseur's riffs work. On the other hand, I don't think Deicide have ever been heavy. Energetic, fast, cool, yeah, but not heavy to me.
i never felt that speed ever actually affected heaviness. some riffs are best played at a certain tempo, but its not like you can say fast or slow is heavier. ex. i find that roots bloody roots is an extremely heavy song, but its pretty slow.
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

What I was getting at was that a lot of people only think slow or mid-paced songs can be heavy - which is why so much groove metal gets it completely wrong. As far as I'm concerned there's much more to it than that.
Funeral Doom can be heavy as ****, and no one's ever gonna accuse it of being fast.

Heaviness doesn't depend on teh heavay br00tal guitars and whatnot. It's really the mood of the song, you know?
Mostly Funeral Doom or sludge stuff. Slow, thick and disgusting riffs feels pretty heavy(?). I'll just name drop a few: Worship(Ger), Eyehategod, Bosque/Senthil split, Coffins (Not sludge or funeral but pretty heavy), Wormphlegm, Dystopia, Corrupted/Noothgrush split, Khanate etc

Vocals play a huge part in being heavy too. I prefer my music to have a chocking tortured sound cause well, it sounds passionate(?) and agressive. Something which can't be mimicked in other genres. It also feels like a sledgehammer to the balls

Can't get much tortured
http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=94782
http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=142397
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Oct 1, 2009,
Mortician is the heaviest stuff I know.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by webbtje
What I was getting at was that a lot of people only think slow or mid-paced songs can be heavy - which is why so much groove metal gets it completely wrong. As far as I'm concerned there's much more to it than that.

ya im agreeing with you, saying that speed doesnt really come into play when considereing heaviness.

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

I find Converge to be the most 'intense' band ever, but they're hardcore.

I find doom to be considerably heavy. Cattle Decap is like a jackhammer to the ears.
In "Spider Besider" By Secret And Whisper, there's this part in the middle of the song where all the fast paced drumming and melodic guitar basically collapses when the guitarist just screams "OH...". I can't listen to that song without going crazy at that part. Lol I really don't know what they do, but overall I think heaviness has much to do with the cadence of the part. I suppose that's the science behind breakdowns, but I can't go there. Anyhoo, here's the song. Listen up until 1:23.

http://www.last.fm/music/Secret+And+Whisper/_/Spider+Besider

If you care at all about music, you will listen to this song.
Anything that makes me melt.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by jibran
sexy music makes me melt

I find Marvin Gaye real heavy.

No joke.

Any music that makes me feel as though some sort of weight is on top of me is heavy.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
Any music that makes me feel as though some sort of weight is on top of me is heavy.

This. Mozart's Requiem is some of the heaviest music I've heard. As is Misery Signals (some songs at any rate).
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Electric Wizard's Dopethrone is pretty definitive in heaviness as far as my opinion goes.

But actually, fallenangel's description was excellent.
I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but I think Impending Doom's first album is really heavy. It's a very intense sound, and the vocals fit perfectly. Usually, I'm not into the whole "We're br00t4l lolz" thing, but I like Impending Doom.
Nile is also very heavy, both in their fast tempos and their slow tempos.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
i think its the attitude and energy of the music that defines heavy, and the way it pumps you up and everything, and speed just adds to the over all affect, but doesn't define heavy, distortion, low tunings, low vocals, and double bass help as well, but again not necessary, iron maiden don't use a lot of distortion or low vocals, and i don't think they use double bass but i'm not sure, but they're heavy
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
grooves

stoner metal has got it in spades, and its heavy heavy

they conjure huge fuzzed out guitars tones with skin tearing percussion that just rips through your head and the repitition of the riffs just further serve to eviscerate your cranium

also, I fail to see how double kick is defined as heavy
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by raincoffin
Electric Wizard's Dopethrone is pretty definitive in heaviness as far as my opinion goes.

But actually, fallenangel's description was excellent.

Quote by progbass
stoner metal has got it in spades, and its heavy heavy

they conjure huge fuzzed out guitars tones with skin tearing percussion that just rips through your head and the repitition of the riffs just further serve to eviscerate your cranium

I agree with these statements.
Bastards Will Pay is the heaviest song ever written, end of.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I define heaviness as like really thick sounding obviously, and the riff like hits you over the head. I agree with many hear that speed doesn't matter. To this day Black Sabbath even when not playing fast is some of the heaviest stuff out there for example.

edit: Oh and I think the bass has the most to do with what makes something heavy imo. To me its the bass that gives the song all of the power.
^Couldnt agree more.It sounds so eerie and moody to me therefore i'd consider it to be heavy.
I've never quite grasped the concept of heaviness; I agree it'd probably have to be low end; thick, and don't know but most of the stuff that people throw around as heavy don't really do much... or has any effect on me therefore I'm lost, I just use it to say that it transitions from clean into distortion or stuff like that; I usually associate powerchords with "heavy"
It's gotta slam like a mother****er.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Anything from Strapping Young Lad.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by Taydr
This. Mozart's Requiem is some of the heaviest music I've heard. As is Misery Signals (some songs at any rate).

This.

It's all really in the tone and the mood of the song. Speed, tuning, none of that has any bearing. For instance, I think the intro riff of Symbolic is heavy as ****.