Hey guys, i'm a guitar player but my friend wants me to play bass in his punk band because i'm not very experienced. He plays stuff by nofx, rancid, and AFI so what are some pretty easy songs on bass I should learn? I'm already learning a couple songs by the Descendents and Red Hot Moon but does anyone have some suggestions?
rancid has some difficult bass parts so id wait until you're a little more experienced to play that im not sure about those other bands though. Try some sex pistols stuff their stuff is easy and it is a great way to start playing punk.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
nofx shouldnt be too bad i'd start with that, once you start getting really good try out rancid and anti-flag that should keep you good for a while ha
Some AFI bass parts are kinda hard too. Just look at Affliction, thats a pretty punky song and the bass is hard I think. Sex Pistols is pretty easy, some older Green Day is pretty simple, maybe some Bad Religion as well. Most Alkaline Trio is simple, and the songs themselves are great I think.
EDIT: Anti-Flag is super-difficult. I would definatly not attempt that stuff until later. Most punk is picked, as Im sure you know, so work on that picking speed. And learn scales and stuff like that, please don't just play root notes. Good bass makes things much more interesting.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Oct 1, 2009,
alot of nofx songs are good to learn on, sometimes they're hard and sometimes they're not though. AFI defiantly has some intense stuff, i woulden't go there untill later. Keep playing decendents stuff, old greenday. Check out stiff little fingers, adolescents, authority zero, minor threat would help your speed, rancid will be a good challenge, check out the queers as well and some suicide machines.

the bands you listed as well as what i listed have bass players that usually don't just follow the roots, which is the way it should be, there's alot of harmonies and walking stuff as well as fills, learn your scales and boxes and stuff.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Oct 2, 2009,
Learn some Operation Ivy before you go on to Rancid, it's a little bit easier (same guy). Once you're comfortable (shouldn't be too long) move on to Anti-Flag stuff. Chris #2 is nuts.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Learn some Operation Ivy before you go on to Rancid, it's a little bit easier (same guy). Once you're comfortable (shouldn't be too long) move on to Anti-Flag stuff. Chris #2 is nuts.

Just curious, what difficult Anti-Flag stuff would you recommend for an advanced player? I've been getting into punk, but am finding it hard to discover interesting basslines.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Last edited by ozzyismetal at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by ozzyismetal
Just curious, what Anti-Flag stuff would you recommend?

turncoat's good but its pretty hard if your not that great, also 1 trillion dollars might be a good starting point its a lot slower than the usual.But i cant think of any more right now if only i had all the anti-flag albums on my MP3 player xD.

Oh maybe die for your government.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Bad Religion is good, American Jesus is one of the first bass songs I learned. Also, Same Old Story by Pennywise has a very similar bassline.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
The Clash bass lines are normally quite easy, but they do get more involved as Simonon got better. Songs like London Calling are good fun but not overly difficult.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by ozzyismetal
Just curious, what difficult Anti-Flag stuff would you recommend for an advanced player? I've been getting into punk, but am finding it hard to discover interesting basslines.

The press corpse is pretty hard. I've only heard the For Blood and Empire album though so i can't think of any more.
I play Bass and Drums, the instruments that are made fun of

"And there shall be a boy of such extrordinary rhythm section power, that he shall smite all 6-stringed elitists that stand before him"- Nostradamus
Quote by ozzyismetal
This Is The End (For You My Friend) has a pretty fast, interesting sounding bassline; not sure how hard it is, you should look it up.
You guys are awesome thanks for the helpful and quick replies, I have Myage by the Descendents up to speed and i'm gonna find some good minor threat and op ivy songs to learn
learn the crowd by op ivy good bass song
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
NoFx is pretty brutal at times (see the idiots are taking over), Rancid isn't bad at all (if you have a little speed in your hands), Bad religion is pretty easy, so are the Misfits and Ramones.

Basically if you want to learn punk i say start with bad religion and work your way upto Rancid and then NoFx.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
F**k It Up by Towers of London was the first punk song i learned, its easy but pretty catchy
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by ozzyismetal

A New Kind Of Army is a nice one.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
blink-182!!!!!!!
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
fall back down by rancid is pretty easy 4 a rancid song.

a hard anti-flag song is the press corpse, id tell you but, a project for a new american century, good and ready, if u wanna steal you better learn how to lie & old guard has a cool bassline.
Quote by ozzyismetal

Mind The G.A.T.T
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by ozzyismetal

angry, young and poor is really fun
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Rancid is pretty fun to play, most of it isn't that difficult. There is a lot of interesting Alkaline Trio bass lines you can learn too. Blink 182 is pretty good to start with as well. Anti-Flag has a few good ones too, though they can be pretty fast at times.
Recommended threads
sucks!
xKnifekillerx
Last post:
by 100%guitarmad