Whenever I turn my TS9DX on, on my JSX's Ultra channel, it instantly starts to squeal, if I don't play anything. If I'm playing there is no feedback, but the moment I stop squuuuuueal. And it instantly stops when I turn the pedal off. It also happens a little on the crunch channel. So any ideas on what the problem is? I've tried using a power adapter, a different one, plugging them into different sockets, using a battery, stuff like that, no avail. Also, my JSX makes some decent noise on the Ultra channel... but I'm guessing that is just because it's just a hi-gain amp? It's nothing out of the ordinary... I hope.
So anyone know whats going on here?
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
You might want to back off the gain almost all of the way on your Tubescreamer. Overdrive/distortion pedals with the gain way up and distorted amp signals don't really mix well if you don't like squealing.
If your using a high gain setting and use a distortion pedal, your pickups might not have the output necessary for all the gain.
Quote by Dio10101
If your using a high gain setting and use a distortion pedal, your pickups might not have the output necessary for all the gain.

That makes no sense at all. Low output pickups would be less likely to make feedback, and would just sound like you're using less gain.
how close are you standing to the speakers?

i can turn the gain up on my OD808 pretty high... but then again, my amp isn't very high gain.

J.
I'm about 10-15 feet away from the speakers, I don't feedback normally when I don't play (without the tubescreamer on) unless I get let open strings ring (obviously). The tubescreamer squeals even when I mute the strings.
The tubescreamer is in the Turbo (or even TS9 mode) with gain about halfway, output a bit more than half... and don't remember where tone is.
So just back off the gain eh? Adding more gain the tubescreamer just brings it into crazy high gain I'm guessing?
I'll try that out then.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Usually when you use a Tubescreamer into an amps hi gain channel, you put the gain at 0 and volume at 10.
Quote by DTay47
I'm about 10-15 feet away from the speakers, I don't feedback normally when I don't play (without the tubescreamer on) unless I get let open strings ring (obviously). The tubescreamer squeals even when I mute the strings.
The tubescreamer is in the Turbo (or even TS9 mode) with gain about halfway, output a bit more than half... and don't remember where tone is.
So just back off the gain eh? Adding more gain the tubescreamer just brings it into crazy high gain I'm guessing?
I'll try that out then.

Definitely back of the gain - try raising the volume on the pedal to full and pulling the gain back almost to "0" or even all the way to "0". This will cause your OD to act as a boost, thus driving your tubes harder and adding more natural distortion.

If you're still having problems with feedback after lowering the gain then you may want to invest in a noise suppressor.
I knew gain at 0 and level at 10 was a common thing to do on high gain amps to tighten tone... but I didn't know it was necesarry! I didn't think I HAD to do it for my high gain channel... oh well, at least I know I can't do it now!
Tried it with gain at 0, and what do you know... no squealing. Hoory.
Thanks guys. The JSX comes with a noise gate too, which is actually quite handy too.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX