Poll: Is this largely aggreeable?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is this largely aggreeable?
yes
15 58%
no
11 42%
Voters: 26.
I want to talk to the pit about meme usage. I will first do this by telling you the purpose of an internet message board. The idea is to communicate something, from point A to point B. From you to me, or vice versa.

When you post, "lol wut, epic fail whomp him", You aren't communicating anything. Seriously. You are just regurgitating a phrase that people may or may not recognize. This doesn't make anybody laugh, you look stupid, and any discussion is derailed by your decision to repost somebody Else's shit joke.

For instance I've been seeing this message

wat

Pop up in threads, and I've been wondering why. What purpose does that message serve? It doesn't tell us, the threadstarter, or anybody anything, and it isn't funny at all.

Now you may say, "bendy, you know in certain situations, memes can be the perfect joke." Why? They are messages that serve endless filler. When you see somebody post one, you don't stop to think about what they say, you scroll down to find the actual content. They only time they have any comedic value is when they're in some kind of dumb pun, but you could have put anything in there.

To some people, memes may seem like a harmless thing, but they are the reason that threads in which intelligent discussion or debate get bogged down. Without them, people would be forced to think about their posts for a few seconds before posting them, increasing the overall quality of not just the pit, but discussion on the internet. What does the pit think of this? Do you think that in moderation (which clearly isn't happening at the moment) they can be funny. or they completely suck and the internet would better without.

Oh, and people getting ready to post "tl;dr" or some other 4chan bullshit, you're not being clever.
tl;dr
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
I think they can can be really funny when used correctly. Overuse is a pain though.

Btw, stop complaining you rObOt.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Oct 1, 2009,
i find some memes funny. that's why memes exist. if they weren't at least funny to some people then no one would use them.

and just for the sake of it.

"cool blog...bro"
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Its the internet. its all a big joke.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
The funniest 'cool story bro' I've ever seen was in the no E's thread. That's a good example of a perfectly executed meme.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by SlinkyBlue
wat

I actually thought you were right until I scrolled down, read wat and cracked up. Seriously, memes are funny.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

lol wut, epic fail whomp him

Someone had to do it...

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
This would be a perfect time for a "The internet is serious business" related thing.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
I agree, for the most part. If it's a stupid spam thread, memes are fine IMO, but serious threads should not be weighed down with them.
tl;dr is the only one that really bothers me. Might as well post "I'm a dumbfuck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
Its the internet. its all a big joke.

That's where you're wrong. yes, we goof around a lot, but what's wrong with actually thinking when you do so? Also, don't get me wrong, using a meme as a base for a joke can be pretty hilarious. I laughed a few times at the "kanye west" thread, the "fuuuuuu" thread and quite a few others. What i am saying is that using a meme as an entire message or not putting any thought into your use of one is pretty dumb.

Quote by cho0onger

Someone had to do it...

Everybody who posted this just reinforces my point. Reacting at a thread with the most obvious thing imaginable instead of actually typing up a response.
Last edited by bendystraw at Oct 1, 2009,
I laugh at many memes, but eventually they wear off. For the first few da
A Celebration For The Death Of Man...

Quote by Madison Perella

Thats not even sensible I base myself like this I like power I don't understand emotion. Knowledge is key and fire pokemon own.

Quote by Jackal58
tl;dr is the only one that really bothers me. Might as well post "I'm a dumbfuck.

tl;dr
Quote by cho0onger

Someone had to do it...

whomp just sets me off in a fit of laughter. lol god i love that word. WHOMP lmao!
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Now, I created that wat lurk.

Don't talk down about it.

I use it whenever there's a ridiculous meaningless post or something I don't get at all.

If you read many of my other posts, I take alot of time to post them.

btw, you guys are doing it wrong.

wat

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Zoso1994
I actually thought you were right until I scrolled down, read wat and cracked up. Seriously, memes are funny.
lol ***, epic fail whomp him

Honestly, I think things would be better if memes weren't so prevalent in discussion, especially serious discussion. I myself may be guilty of over-memage, but to be fair, I try to put in just as much real responses to balance it out.
If I told you I agreed 100% with your post, Mr. Strawman, it would still be an understatement.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now