im looking into getting a fretless 5 string bass but i want one with fretlines since im starting out. my budget is $500USD and will go to 600 if necessary. any suggestions?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Ibanez put out a few 5 and 6 string fretless. I am sure you can find a used one about somewhere. I also think they still have the Gary Willis signature in production as well, which is a 5 string FL
I played an Ibanez Gary Willis Signature in a shop once, nice piece of equipment. Musiciansfriend has them new for $680, used for $540, 5 string fretless with fret lines. Only thing is it has this weird block between the neck and the pickup that makes popping somewhat difficult, but it's removable.

EDIT: look here. Looks like the Gary Willis is the cheapest you're gonna get unless you look used. If you save some more, can get the Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 fretless for $800.

Also, if you're willing to put some work into it, you could buy a fretted 5 string and defret it.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Oct 2, 2009,