right now i have a 2x12 mesa cab to use with my 5150 and stiletto. it sounds great with both, but i can only run 1 at a time. id like to run both together. i decided i was going to buy a 4x12 cab, but i just recently found a cheap 2x12 exactly like mine on craigslist.

my question is: how will 2 2x12s sound vs. 1 4x12?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
if you like the sound of your 2x12...get another one! It'll be easier to move around too...I wish my Mesa 4x12 could be broken in half everytime I have to load it
I think you can probably run both together....you just need a splitter. If my math is correct, you can go from an 8ohm output to a 8ohm series box, which has 2 4ohm outputs.....
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
2 2x12's will sound tighter have less low end and be a little more mid-rangy. Compared to a 4x12.

I like the options of having 2 2x12s, you could put them on both side's of the stage for a fuller sound. a 2x12 is easier to move than a 4x12. (But in the end is moving 2 somewhat heavy cabs easier than 1 heavy one?) You could also leave a 2x12 at home and one at practice.

Just my extra thought's on the subject..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
well the bass doesnt bother me. my 5150 has plenty lol. im thinking itll be better to move aound also. i mean yeah ill have more pieces to move around, but each will weigh less and be more easily moved through small spaces. i cant count how many times ive helped a friend moved a 4x12 and had problems getting it through a doorway hahaha.

also, having the option to just bring along 1 2x12 and 1 head for a smaller gig or something seems awesome
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by LEPIV
I think you can probably run both together....you just need a splitter. If my math is correct, you can go from an 8ohm output to a 8ohm series box, which has 2 4ohm outputs.....

well i have 2 problems with this. one is that each head would be running into 1 speaker. i really like the sound of my heads through 1 speaker and im not sure if id get the same response out of 1 speaker. also, one head is 100 watts and the other is 120 watts. my cab handles about 140 altogether

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well i have 2 problems with this. one is that each head would be running into 1 speaker. i really like the sound of my heads through 1 speaker and im not sure if id get the same response out of 1 speaker. also, one head is 100 watts and the other is 120 watts. my cab handles about 140 altogether

I dont get it
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
my cab handles 140 watts. if i plugged both my heads into it id be running 220 watts into it. it cant handle both my heads at once

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
sorry for bumping, but id just like to see if maybe i could get some more input

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Maybe get an open-backed 2x12? It will make your leads come alive!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Don't do anything stupid. Buy either another cab, or get yourself a Radial Headbone.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
you should get the second 212 to run with one of your amps. running two amps into the same cabinet is probably not the best idea, and you'll be able to play with amp positioning better with two separate cabinets.

i know running 2 heads into my cab is dumb. i covered that. but if i had a 4x12 mesa cab with 2...one more time...."2" inputs, i could run both my heads into it safely. my question was simply: what are the sound differences between "1 4x12 cab" and "2 2x12 cabs"

but oh well, i think im just gonna get the other 2x12. less buying and selling hassle

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
please refer to every single post above of me explaining that i know i cant run both my heads into my 2x12...

edit: and running 2 heads in 1 cab with stereo inputs is bad? then why have 2 inputs?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Oct 3, 2009,
I was thinking of doing the same thing.. Getting a Mesa 2x12 to compliment my Avatar.. I don't have enough for a Mesa 4x12 haha. Will it still sound good?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by guitarted
it's not just running two heads into your CURRENT cab that's dumb. running two heads into any ONE cabinet is dumb.

No. You CAN run two heads into a stereo cabinet.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
the benefits are that 2x12 are more portable(duh), but also that you can more easily customize individual cabinets, like hooking up specific speakers in each cab to your preference. you can also have the option of just taking one cab or both to gigs. you also can leave a cab somewhere while still having one at home(like one you practice with and one for playing out live).

the more real benefits is the ability to customize the cabs more to the heads and be able to support stereo effects with a larger stereo field(those delays and choruses sound lush on a nice stereo setup). and even if you don't use stereo effects you can still spread the cabinets out so the other musicians can hear you better on the other side of the stage, it'll really fill out a live tone esp with the right speaker setups too.

2 2x12 cabs give quite a bit more felexibility over 4x12's. way better imo.

now quick aside about running a stereo cabinet(not running 2 cabinets in stereo mind you). i have my orange ppc212 setup to run in stereo, with one weber ceramic silver bell and one weber alnico blue bell. this would allow me to run 2 heads out of the cab and further 'customize' my tone coming out of it, like i can run my music man hd130 through the blue bell and my orange or50h through the silver bell, this would create a very balanced tone out of one cabinet. and when i get my second stereo 2x12 cabinet i can do the same thing and run my thd and sunn through the cab and have it on the other side of the stage. i don't think it is necessarily 'stupid' to run stereo cabs with 2 heads, as long as you know what you want and what yer going after.

edit: at TS, running 2 heads into one cab is not bad, but you do have to be careful about power handling issues and impedance issues. if your cab only handles 140 watts mono, then chances are it only handles ~70 per side in stereo. and if your 2x12 is 16 ohm mono then it is most likely on 8 ohms in stereo. i customized my ppc212 to handle these issues in a way that is manageable to me.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 4, 2009,
I much prefer 2x12s anyway, but I think it'll sound better for one simple reason....WIDE STEREO!

If you're in a one-guitar band situation, a cab on either side of the stage will sound absolutely killer, especially for getting that 'massive sound' at unmic'd pub/club venues.
- Get the second 2x12 (chances are they are both Mesa OS 2x12's right? They sound huge)
- Run each head into one of each cabs.
- Buy a Y cable and you can play both together at the same time.
- Or, you could also play both cabs together with one amp (kind of like a split in half 4x12)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by kyle62
I much prefer 2x12s anyway, but I think it'll sound better for one simple reason....WIDE STEREO!

If you're in a one-guitar band situation, a cab on either side of the stage will sound absolutely killer, especially for getting that 'massive sound' at unmic'd pub/club venues.

Quote by Van Noord

- Get the second 2x12 (chances are they are both Mesa OS 2x12's right? They sound huge)
- Or, you could also play both cabs together with one amp (kind of like a split in half 4x12)

check out my 'mutron biphase' demo on running 2 2x12's(orange or50h into ppc212 and a music man 150hd212) with stereo delay running into my mutron bi-phase. huge tone.

-ae
I dig the 2x12 big time. I'm a big 2x12 combo fan myself, and to be honest, I don't like the sound of a 4x12 next to a 2x12 very much.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I dig the 2x12 big time. I'm a big 2x12 combo fan myself, and to be honest, I don't like the sound of a 4x12 next to a 2x12 very much.
"This doesn't make breakfast at all! All it does is shoot you!"
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord

well ive got this part covered. i have a boss dd-20 with stereo outs. so not only would i have a 2 amp stereo rig, id have stereo delay. mmmmmmmmm

im trying to negotiate with the guy with the 2x12 right now so ill keep you guys posted

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Don't know if this helps, but I run a 2x12 combo with another amp and a 2x12 cab. That ain't much different than running 2 amps with 2 2x12 cabs.

My amps are 30 watts each, and it sounds like I'm pushing 3 times that amount
agreed, effectively the same

-ae
Quote by The^Unforgiven

2x12 does sound a lot tighter, and not as pummeling as a 4x12.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."