For those of you who know the history of my threads and how they've all been about "which gear is better?" "is this guitar good?" "what should i get this or this?" then you'll be pleased see that this thread is not like those. For those of you who have been playing guitar for a while, and who can play fast solos, fast picking, that crazy stuff, how long did it take for you to get there? And how much practice a day did it take? For people who want to get good at guitar really fast, is it the more practice the better? I've heard that if you overpractice, it will actually hurt your learning process because you keep getting angry that you strum the wrong note or something like that.
Quote by dsan224
For those of you who know the history of my threads and how they've all been about "which gear is better?" "is this guitar good?" "what should i get this or this?" then you'll be pleased see that this thread is not like those. For those of you who have been playing guitar for a while, and who can play fast solos, fast picking, that crazy stuff, how long did it take for you to get there? And how much practice a day did it take? For people who want to get good at guitar really fast, is it the more practice the better? I've heard that if you overpractice, it will actually hurt your learning process because you keep getting angry that you strum the wrong note or something like that.

Everyone is always a student of a guitar, and your aim shouldn't be to "get good really fast" as it's all subjective. A blues player can be a marvelous song writer, but to a technical player such as a shredder, he might not be "technically" better. While the shredder might be a technical guitar player but have horrible song writing ability.

You shouldn't aim to get good fast, your aim should be to play guitar for whatever reason you want. Maybe you want to be in a cover band and only learn songs for that band. Maybe you want to write your own music, maybe you want to be a lead player, maybe you just want to play for your own enjoyment.

I classify a good guitarist as someone who has fun playing, It doesn't matter to me if you aren't the most technical, or the best player, as long as you enjoy it, you're good in my books.
Getting better for me was all about really focused practicing. You could practice for hours but not get very far, but if you push yourself really hard for a half hour or more you learn a lot.

Edit: Yeah and to tack on another thing, good is really really loosely defined. To a non-guitar player, pretty much any guitar player is good. But you can be good at certain styles. To me being 'good' comes with being able to understand whats going on with your guitar. If that even makes any sense
Last edited by jinjan29 at Oct 1, 2009,
I started playing about 50 years ago.
I'm getting better.

mark

ADDED: I retired, and summer of last year, I bought a used Mexican Strat. I now have 4 electric guitars and I usually play a few hours a day. I started learning songs that I always liked, no real genre, just what I thought were good songs. I often play till my hands hurt so much I can't continue. I started to play years ago copying Keith Richard licks off the records, and still play a lot in that style, but I love almost any sort of music with a nicely played guitar in it. I recently started doing some Jimmy Page tunes on guitar, while also singing and playing harp on a neck brace (Bring It On Home) - I also found the original Willy Dixon version, and learned it that way, too. It's great, and I am learning a lot about different styles.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Last edited by old mark at Oct 1, 2009,
I'm still not as good as I'd like to be. Somewhere around 1 year of playing or so I stopped having to consciously think about matching my fretting and picking hands so I consider that the point when guitar "clicked" for me. I can't pinpoint when that was exactly or what I practiced to make it happen though..
Been playing just a year and a month now.
And my skill level is like being at the bottom of Mt. Everest, where as the top is insanely professional.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
inside a few months is when I really jumped in skill level. But I played 3-4 hrs a day, and liking back and at myself now, I wasn't that good, and I'm still not. Most UGers are modest, and will critisize themselves all to hell, but really were all good a our own style of guitar.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
If you mean technical ability, then it'll take awhile, depending on how and what you practice. I've been playing for around 5 years and Im just starting to learn some Fall of Troy stuff (fairly complicated and fast). But on the other hand, I have a friend who has been playing for about a year, and he practices speed stuff. He can play some pretty fast Metallica solos, like the Master of Puppets solo, altho it does seem pretty sloppy when he plays. So its all about what your end goal is, and what you want to achieve. I think a good guitar player should be able to play whatever they want to, fast or slow, rhythm or lead. And have fun doing it.
I started playing about four years ago. I'm still crap. Yay!
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I will never consider myself good untill I learn everything there is about the guitar.

I know, it's an impossible goal. That's why I will never consider myself good.
You don't get good at guitar by trying to become good, you get good by enjoying guitar.
Quote by dsan224

I've been playing for four or five years and I wouldn't consider myself good. There are people who are newer to it than I who I would say are better. It depends how much practice you put in, how quickly you develop style, and how naturally talented you are. I'm not very naturally talented, and I never put enough effort into genuine practice. It took me four years to develop an ear and about three to be able to do anything other than copy other people.

I would ignore those telling you that you can't get good by trying to become good. The truth is you can't become good unless you try. I'm all for artistic purity and whatever but guitar playing is a skill and it needs to be cultivated. The first year of playing can be extremely dull and frustrating, but if you stick with it and practice the boring **** you will improve drastically.

Only with time can you develop a feel for the instrument and an ear for the music. There's no secret. Just play and enjoy it, put in a bit of work, and it comes together.

If you have the opportunity to play with others, do so, it's not only extremely fun but you will learn a great deal, even if they aren't any better than you.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I have been playing for coming up on 4 years now, and to tell you the truth the thing that changed my playing ability the most was starting to play with other people. I got invited to play in a band with some guys and from that point the improvement was exponentially higher. It's all about how much you are willing to push yourself to try new techniques and new playing styles to create your musical identity, corny as that sounds.
Quote by suzuki15
You don't get good at guitar by trying to become good, you get good by enjoying guitar.

I agree. I would much rather watch Joe Walsh play then say watch Yngie Malmsteen play cause Joe Walsh looks like he enjoys him self more even though he probably isn't as good as Malsteen and I'm not a fan of Malmsteen.

But I've been playing about 4 years (spent 3 years playing rhythm and one year on lead) and I would say I'm alright with it. I can't do all the Paul Gilbert type stuff but when I play an improvised solo I can keep it in key and make it sound ok-ish.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Well I've only been playing for two months, and as you can guess, I'm not very good.

But what people need to understand is, you need to enjoy the learning process, not just waiting impatiently to become a guitar god.

Seeing as the learning process goes on forever, you'd better hope you enjoy it.

Another thing that I've been doing lately is playing with my bassist friend, and also with a drummer and a singer. Sure, we're not the best. But we are really enjoying ourselves, and there are so many songs you can play that are really easy but sound awesome!

Enjoy guitar. I don't know about you, but I'm an addict.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
"Good" doesn't make sense. I would say that about a year after starting I had a notable jump when a lot of things clicked. This took me from a stage of being a true beginner to being able to play decent things, write decent things, have a better sense of timing and feel etc.

You never finish but I think that might be what you're referring to. One year was the stage when other guitar players would listen to me and think i was quite good/would be comfortable playing for other people or publicly in general.
Good is a very subjective term. Good in what circles? I assume better than the average guitar player is good? I feel if one can play the entire Stairway to Heaven and Nothing Else Matters one is a decent player. In my music preferances, good means being able to play Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, George Lynch, Joe Satriani etc etc songs entirely so that is a good refrerance.

Start of with a song you deem inpossible at the moment and try to play it. You WILL fail (if you don't I don't see the point of the thread) I get motivated when I fail and try to improve. Take the song and break it up into pieces. In that part there will be things you need to work on, be it chord progressions, alternate picking, sweep picking or just some odd time rhythms. Then find excercises and practice practice practice. It took me most of a year to get the first part of Glasgow Kiss from John Petrucci right. But after that I've learned to sweep, basic sweep anyway.

More practice isn't better. You'll waste your time. Saying you play guitar for 3hours a day doesn't mean you practice all that time. I say you should practive at least half the time you play guitar a day. Practice meaning focussed training on stuff like scales picking whatever and then the other time you can just screw around and squeel pinch harmonics, play Danny Boy.

There is no such thing as over practice. If you have the capability to concentrate on what you're doing fr 6 hours a day, well then you can ractice that long. Practice as much as you can take in. Just remember focussed practice!!!
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
I like pretty much everything that has been posted thus far. I might reiterate what some have said in this post. As it has been said, 'good' is a relative term. Good depends on what your goal is and how you are progressing towards that goal. For instance, when I was trying to learn One, that was tough as the rhythm was crazy with it's syncopation and muted palm style. However, I met that goal and was very happy. I was playing this song about four years after I had picked up the guitar. Now I have been playing...many years. I can still play most of the stuff I played in my late teens/early 20's. One thing that HAS changed, is that I am writing music. Wow. What a revelation. It has opened a whole new level of playing for me and has set new goals. However, the greatest sign of being good is enjoying yourself. There was a day not too long ago where I said "I have to practice'. What a load of BS. In my opinion, practice is based on the desire to play, not need. In a band situation that can be different. I can get more out of practicing when I play for fun than I ever 'having' to play. Like was said earlier, watch these guys that are playing for fun. Even Paul Gilbert, EVH, and Satch...they always have a smile on their face. Sorry if this being kindalong, but I am usually pretty passionate about this stuff. Peace.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
mmhh, will be 12 years of guitar playing next summer but i still dont consider myself good.
Lot of on and off moments, even months without touching the guitar.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
This is actually quite funny. Pay some attention when reading, here and in other threads, in general the guys who think they're good is the guys playing between 1 and 2 years. The old dogs, guys who've been playing for a while don't consider themselves good. I guess modesty comes with experience. Lol.

I'll consider myself good when I can whoo an entire audience and make them go wow.
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
Just keep this in mind.

Practice doesn't make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

I've been playing for about 5-6 years now, and i would consider my self to be good at metal etc.
But now I've hit the stage of learning jazz and blues etc, and I'm finding that a little tough, not so much the technical side of things, but more the feel.

A good guitarist in my opinion is someone who is a well rounded guitarist.
So going by that, Yes i may be good at somethings, but over all I'm O.K

But over the next 6 months i should have all that under control...then ill be good!
In my opinion I'm a nice rhythm player but still have a while to go as far as lead goes. I've been a dedicated player since July 2008 but I didn't learn too much until December 08-March 09 when I learned the G and C chords and alternate picking.

I don't think I'll be the showoff metal head though, I'd much prefer to play lead like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4W3qH4xxs&feature=channel_page
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
a lot of words for a simple answer. practice all the time. you have to know the notes (not sheet music). either piano or guitar.

i've met a few people that can pick up a guitar for the first time and play. me........ i had to work at it, hours a day. i liked it, i was into it. we didn't have internet and google and all that stuff. if your friend knew something, he would not tell you because he thought you might get better than him.
Its kind of dumb to say something like 2 years or 5 years, its the hours that are important. Some practice an hour a day or 365 hrs a year, others 5 hrs a day or 1800 hrs a year. It took me about 2000 hrs to start getting happy with my playing.
Nyahh this question makes me think back. I've been playing a good three or four years now, and while I'm considered amazing by my friends and family, I know many guitarists who trump me in everyway. It took maybe a month before I discovered power chords, and following the realization that A LOT of music uses them I became much more enthusiastic. But over time I realized that I wanted to do much more than play some Blink 182 songs and began learning about theory, scales, and the like. I now have a bit of a Blues addiction, loving to improvise and sing at the same time, and the soulfulness of it all. I am fairly decent I guess when it comes to the Blues, but I am average when it comes to faster genres such as metal, while each day I get just a bit better. So I'd have to say it takes about a year, maybe a half a year depending on how much you play for things to really sink in and mold you into a guitarist. But after that it's always a battle to keep pushing yourself to get better. Surround yourself with other guitarists and musicians, they will really push you to always renew your fervor for playing. I now practice about 4-6 hours a day, and each week I notice subtle improvements in my playing, while not large, they're there and help me renew my resolve to be better.
I've always enjoyed playing, and I've always enjoyed my own playing. So, right away?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Still trying to get better haha
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
I've been playin for 13 years and I'm still shit. Nuff said.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.