E||-----------------------------------------------9-10-11-12-||
B||-------------------------------------8-9-10-11------------||
G||---------------------------8-9-10-11----------------------||
D||------------------7-8-9-10--------------------------------||
A||----------6-7-8-9-----------------------------------------||
E||--5-6-7-8-------------------------------------------------||

I see it as a whole tone/chromatic scale, Ive heard the term "half tone scale" but im not sure what this is...

also this one
E||-------------------------11-13-||
B||-------------------10-12-------||
G||--------------8-10-------------||
D||----------7-9------------------||
A||------6-8----------------------||
E||--5-7--------------------------||

same thing but i took out every second tone or its like a Dimminished/augument thing with a Major 2nd (1-M2-b5-#5)

Crawl through knives.
There isn't a single whole tone in there (the first diagram). That's just a chromatic scale. It contains all 12 notes.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
the first scale contains
R b2 2 b3 #4 5 b6 bb7
or some such variant (it's octatonic so it must contain at least 2 intervals that are the same degree (in this case b2 and 2))
dunno how you would name it though potentially if you counted the #4 as a b5 you could claim it is a close relative of the locrian? but really i think it's just a chromatic scale minus a few notes

as for the second- it has only 4 notes, not what i'd call a full scale. In this case i'd name them
R 2 #4 #5 or R 2 b5 b6
that'd be taken from an altered lydian or phyrigian. Again i wouldn't name these as such though - i'd just call it a run of notes and name the notes.
I really wouldn't call those scales. For the first one, it's probably a scale with some chromatics added, and the second one is just that same scale with notes dropped (as you said).

Context for these?
The second scale is called the whole tone scale, and is part of the symmetrical scales.

The first one is random.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The first one is just the chromatic scale. He uses different notes in both octaves. If you look at the whole thing, all 12 notes are represented.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ oh yer - hadn't noticed he was using different things in different octaves - you're right it's the full chromatic.
I don't see how the 2nd is whole tone though - it only contains 4 notes
Quote by doive
^ oh yer - hadn't noticed he was using different things in different octaves - you're right it's the full chromatic.
I don't see how the 2nd is whole tone though - it only contains 4 notes

True, but I feel it would be the best name.

His thing doesn't contain a 3rd or p5 or 7th, and there are not many scales with none of any of those.

Theoretically it could be a few scales, but I Dunno, seems logical to class it into whole tone.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 2, 2009,
if you had to name it i guess you're right, but personally i don't think it's a scale so it's not worth naming it at all
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The first one is just the chromatic scale. He uses different notes in both octaves. If you look at the whole thing, all 12 notes are represented.

Surely calling something a chromatic scale implies A A# B C C# D D# E F G G# A, or in whatever key? If you had a scale that went C D F A B C E G C, I wouldn't call it a major scale.

Using the chromatic scale while composing wouldn't but the thread title suggests that this is a scale, not a riff based off a scale. Wouldn't it be better to view them as two separate scales?