I'm interested in buying or renting some relativity cheap lights for gigs just wondering anyone know how much something like this would run us? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ycr1TYBX4&feature=channel_page they look really intense and badass but don't look too elaborate yet make the performance wayy better.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
It looks like a very large Par Can.

So much hassle tho man if you are just playing in small venues. Just get a friend to work your lights and sync it up.

Or you could do a smashing pumpkins and use an overhead projector for visual fx which is very cool and cheap
Overhead projectors are quite expensive (round these parts at least) and if you find a cheap one, the bulb is usually about to go, and projector bulbs, a lot of the time are more expensive thant the projector itself. They are quite cool however.

What my band did for a couple of gigs is, we got the venue to dim/turn off as many lights as possible, and we brought with us a power strip with an on/off button and four desk lamps. That gave us a good bit of control over the lights, as they could be turned on and off with your foot. We also brought a small strobe light for certain songs, and it did the job perfectly, it was quite small too, about the size of a mac mini, if a little deeper.

A lot of people will suggest getting friends to do lights and whatnot for you, but imo, you should do your absolute best to ensure that the band is responsible for as much as possible within the gig. Friends can be unreliable. If you do need to rely on somone outside the band, try and make sure its a professional person being paid by the venue (sound engineeer or something of the sort)
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Overhead projectors are quite expensive (round these parts at least) and if you find a cheap one, the bulb is usually about to go, and projector bulbs, a lot of the time are more expensive thant the projector itself. They are quite cool however.

What my band did for a couple of gigs is, we got the venue to dim/turn off as many lights as possible, and we brought with us a power strip with an on/off button and four desk lamps. That gave us a good bit of control over the lights, as they could be turned on and off with your foot. We also brought a small strobe light for certain songs, and it did the job perfectly, it was quite small too, about the size of a mac mini, if a little deeper.

A lot of people will suggest getting friends to do lights and whatnot for you, but imo, you should do your absolute best to ensure that the band is responsible for as much as possible within the gig. Friends can be unreliable. If you do need to rely on somone outside the band, try and make sure its a professional person being paid by the venue (sound engineeer or something of the sort)

do this. But i'd say have a friend work the lights. preferably a drummer or at least someone with good rhythm that can work the lights to the tempo of your songs. and make sure he's heard the songs before you go on to play.