Hello UG. I just ordered a Dimarzio Cruiser neck pickup for my Strat, and I am contemplating a new bridge single-coil sized humbucker for my bridge position that will fit well with it. I currently have a SD Lil '59 in, but I am not to fond of how shrill and bright it is. I want to replace it with something that is absolutely versatile. I play everything, but particularly the blues and classic/hard rock. I am thinking SD JB Jr, but I am open to suggestions, mainly pickups that are available at Long and McQuade. Thanks!

Ps. Play through a Traynor YCV50blue
i doubt you'll like the jb jr either.

do you have the bridge hooked up to a tone pot? if so, what value?

i suggest you try that before you get rid of it.
will completely change the tone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i doubt you'll like the jb jr either.

do you have the bridge hooked up to a tone pot? if so, what value?

i suggest you try that before you get rid of it.
will completely change the tone.

+1 You may want to change to some 500k pots, if your Strat has the stock ones in then they're most likely 250k.

Other than that I always recommend a Dimarzio Super Distortion, I think it covers classic and 80's rock style tones really well.
if you want more versatillity then i would use the dimarzio tone zone's sense the superdistortion was modded after the tone zones you will get 90% of the distortion tone but it will be less "shrill" and better for all styles of playing.

as far as middle pickups .. you will have to ask somone else about that but i would def look into changing that sense that is kinda like the "acheles" heel of most standard strats
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
The Super Distortion wasn't modelled after the Tone Zone at all - the Super's been around at least a decade longer. They're also very differently voiced, the Super is loud but fairly open, the Tone Zone has quite a tight, focussed sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well i really think the tone zone would be more versitle dont you? i got the idea he wanted a bridge pickup that was very good for all around style. the super distortions are great but i think they would be used by somone who uses distortion 90% of the time and they want the most distortion they can possably get.

superdistortions are pretty versitle in the "rock" world tho i know artists like Offspring and static X both use them.

for a bluesy classic rock vibe i think a different pickup would be aplicable. BUT if he has a chance to hear a superdistortion first hand it may be something he likes idk.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I don't think the Tone Zone is particularly versatile, it's a shred pickup through and through - the Super is definitely more versatile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com