Just a quick question. I know that a semi-hollow guitar changes the tone when compared to a solid-body, adding some "acoustic resonance" or whatever. But can it really be considered as separate from a solid-body as a hollow is from a semi-hollow? What I mean is that, in both a solid-body and a semi-hollow, the bridge and pickups are on a part of a the top that is connected to a piece of wood that is connected to the back, whereas a hollow is not. Therefore isn't it fair to say that the difference between a hollow and a semi hollow is MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT than the difference between a semi-hollow and a solid-body, as opposed to the common statement that "semi-hollow straddles the line between hollow and solid-body"?

All I mean to say is that a semi-hollow may change the tone, but a hollow changes the way the tone is even produced.
Actually no...in all cases tone is produced by strings resonating, creating a magnetic field, and pickups turning that into an analog audio signal.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Ok, I'll give you that. But surely if the bridge is allowed to actually cause the top to vibrate (which would be impossible with a center-block or on a solid-body), it would change the way the pickups receive the string's vibrations?
I think that's true. Hollowbodies definitely sound and respond very differently than semis. You can make a semi-hollow sound like a solidbody, but it's pretty tough to make a hollowbody do it.
Bridge vibrations certainly effect tone, and having the bridge on a solid piece will make a big difference as opposed to having it on the top of a hollowbody.

The last line of the OP I take issue with - the tone is still produced in the same way, unless you're using a piezo or a microphone. I'd say that the way the guitar resonates is very drastically altered, but the sound is still produced in the same way.
Uhh...the top still resonates on a semi-hollow.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Sure, but the bridge transfers those vibrations. In a solidbody, it's a pretty straight shot from there to the rest of the guitar. With a hollowbody, there's all sorts of crazy stuff going on because the whole guitar is vibrating on its own a whole lot more and in much more nuanced ways than a solid chunk of wood. That's bound to effect how it sounds.