My b-day is coming up, and I'm getting some extra cash, and im looking for a good combo amp to take as a backup on tour with my band.

I play pop punk music,(not like green day, its quite a bit heavier).

I've been looking at 2 different amps. The vox ac30 cc2 and the peavey classic 50. I was just wondering which one would be the best, and would the vox be able to push the volume of a medium sized gig, without being micced? how do the amp's overdrive sound? I've watched youtube vids, but I'd like to hear from someone who has personally played or owned. I'm pretty sure that the 30 watt vox would be able to handle it, just wondering for security measures :P.

Please enlighten me
Both of those amps can handle that. The Peavey has more gain on tap, but the Vox has better tone IMO, and you can always use a pedal.
The reverb on the AC30 is better as well, but they're both pretty good in that regard.
As a side note, the C50 is nearly same wattage as the AC30, it's just that Peavey overrated it to make it look bigger. Side by side, I think the AC30 is louder.
I can get the vox right now for about 700 used

same for the peavey, and i could probably save a few hundred on the peavey used.

What about reliability? are both of these amps road worthy?

edit: I have a mesa dual rect. for a main amp, I just want something to play medium to smaller venues that sound good. I've never owned a vox, but have heard they are really amazing. I need something also very reliable. If possible i want to get rid of my dual rect, its too much oomph for me :P Metal head amp :P
Last edited by penguinfeet at Oct 2, 2009,
Yes, I'd say so. You'll want extra tubes and fuses if you're gigging, of course.
the vox is EASILY capable of gigging medium size venues. their volume is grossly out of proportion with their wattage. they are ear splittingly loud. i've got the AC30H2, and i love it more than any other amp i've ever owned. nothing will ever serve you better. they have bell like cleans, and marshall like roar. they are the midpoint between marshall and fender basically.

EDIT: the CC2's are not exactly what i would call reliable. they are known to have QC issues. i'd suggest looking for an AC30TBX reissue. these were still built in england and the quality is a lot higher. either that, or the AC30H2 which is handwired, but also double the price of other AC30s.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 2, 2009,
i personally thought the ac30 cc2 and even the cc2x were nice but not as nice as i was expecting. not really a fan of the C50 either. you should just go to a music store and try them out, they shouldn't be too hard to find.
I'm a bit confused as to what you're looking for, because you say you play heavy pop punk and the Mesa is too much for that (which I get)... but I'm affraid the AC30 might not be heavy enough?

Hold your flames, I love the AC30, one of the best amps ever tone wise, and at $700 in good shape it's a steal. The breakup is incredibly rich and very pleasing, and the jangly cleans are my fav ever! What I'm asking is for a better definition of your style, because if high gain is your thing, it probably isn't going to work for you. If that's the case, I suggest looking into selling the Mesa and picking up a high gain amp with a british voice (i.e., Splawn Pro Mod or maybe even the Nitro, Orange Rockverb/Thunderverb, Voodoo Dual Hex, Marshall JCM800...). That's not going to solve your back-up amp issue, but I think you'll prefer the tone over the Mesa's if that's your thing. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to find a used classic50 for around $400, but I'm not sure about your market. It might be a better idea, if you know your way around your amps, to just pick up a healthy stock of spare parts and fix it yourself if the need ever should arise.
Quote by GrisKy
I'm a bit confused as to what you're looking for, because you say you play heavy pop punk and the Mesa is too much for that (which I get)... but I'm affraid the AC30 might not be heavy enough?

Hold your flames, I love the AC30, one of the best amps ever tone wise, and at $700 in good shape it's a steal. The breakup is incredibly rich and very pleasing, and the jangly cleans are my fav ever! What I'm asking is for a better definition of your style, because if high gain is your thing, it probably isn't going to work for you. If that's the case, I suggest looking into selling the Mesa and picking up a high gain amp with a british voice (i.e., Splawn Pro Mod or maybe even the Nitro, Orange Rockverb/Thunderverb, Voodoo Dual Hex, Marshall JCM800...). That's not going to solve your back-up amp issue, but I think you'll prefer the tone over the Mesa's if that's your thing. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to find a used classic50 for around $400, but I'm not sure about your market. It might be a better idea, if you know your way around your amps, to just pick up a healthy stock of spare parts and fix it yourself if the need ever should arise.

He doesn't want to replace his Mesa... And besides, Dual Recs can handle just about anything decently.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by penguinfeet
If possible i want to get rid of my dual rect, its too much oomph for me :P Metal head amp :P

oh, really?

pay attention, james.

...and i own a dual rec, i know what they're good for, thanks.
Quote by GrisKy
oh, really?

pay attention, james.

...and i own a dual rec, i know what they're good for, thanks.

I stand corrected.

I wouldn't care if you owned Mesa Engineering though, a Dual Rec can handle just about anything decently.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Oct 2, 2009,
meh, i'd argue it's better for some things and very weak in others. when's the last time you say a country guitarist use a dual rec?

off topic (like the rest of this post), how you likin' that Diablo?
Yeh ofcourse, I would agree. A country guitarist could use one I guess, could get a better amp for the style but a dual rec would still probs be pleasing to the ears. Point taken though.

Loving the Diablo, got it re-tubed with a mesa/sovtek 12ax7's and EHX EL34's; sounds tighter now and better imo. Wouldn't mind getting a V30 (or similarly voiced speaker) loaded 4x12/2x12 for it in the future though. I've got G12T-75's in the 1936 I'm using and they sound good but it would probs go better with v30's.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by James13v
Loving the Diablo, got it re-tubed with a mesa/sovtek 12ax7's and EHX EL34's; sounds tighter now and better imo. Wouldn't mind getting a V30 (or similarly voiced speaker) loaded 4x12/2x12 for it in the future though. I've got G12T-75's in the 1936 I'm using and they sound good but it would probs go better with v30's.

i tried one with 6l6's. not bad, but wasn't really into it tbh. i've heard they're outstanding with el34's tho.

i've had good results with 75's and v30's in an x pattern. others have said good things about 100/v30's in an x pattern too. you use a straight cab or slant?
Quote by GrisKy
i tried one with 6l6's. not bad, but wasn't really into it tbh. i've heard they're outstanding with el34's tho.

i've had good results with 75's and v30's in an x pattern. others have said good things about 100/v30's in an x pattern too. you use a straight cab or slant?

Ahk, yeh mine had ruby tube EL34s stock so don't have a 6L6 comparison myself.

I've been thinking about that after hearing it's a nice speaker combo to have, was thinking if I got a 2x12 with v30's I'd run it in stereo with my current 2x12 (with 75's).

It's a slant? The speakers are on a slight slant, not sure if that counts for 2x12 cabs though.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
Ahk, yeh mine had ruby tube EL34s stock so don't have a 6L6 comparison myself.

I've been thinking about that after hearing it's a nice speaker combo to have, was thinking if I got a 2x12 with v30's I'd run it in stereo with my current 2x12 (with 75's).

It's a slant? The speakers are on a slight slant, not sure if that counts for 2x12 cabs though.

ah! i should've paid more attention myself! for some reason i assumed you were using a 4x12.

two 2x12's should be interresting.