just wondering, if bone and graphite are so superior, why arent the FR locking nuts made with either material? with both FR guitars ive owned recently, ive noticed the sustain is really nice. why dont they just make metal nuts?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Since FR nuts lock, you don't have the issue of the strings needing to glide through the nut, like you would on non-FR, non-locking nuts.

Graphite is inherintly slick, facilitating the strings returning to the right place after some whammy, a bend, or even really aggressive picking.

Metal-metal contact for a nut is fine if there's a bearing, like the ones they use on the Deluxe Stratocasters. Some say this is, combined with the locking tuners, is superior to the FR system.
ah that makes sense. never thought that you cant just CUT a metal nut for fine adjustments if you wanted. i agree with you that proper nut height is overlooked. i recently got a bone nut installed on my seven string because the plastic one was broken in two places. it does need adjusting. its binding on the bigger strings and all of the strings are about 1mm too high and its DEFINITELY noticeable compared to the last nut. and i also found out today its not glued to the body!!

thank you very much for the info. i saved it all on my desktop

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

If you want sustain, install a brass nut. I heard those are great from some users
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
The nut only makes a difference in tone if you're playing open notes. Even then, it doesn't make that big of a difference. The nut is for tuning stability. Both bone, graphite, and metal do a good job of that when it filed correctly.