I recently bought a peavey classic 30 combo. But i think that the tube rattle is too annoying so im probably returning it this weekend for another amp. Im thinking about the Laney VC30. Will the tube rattle be as bad in the VC30? (the reason im asking is because im not sure i will be able to hear it in the shop with all the other noise going on).

Tube tamer for the PC30 is of course an option, but since its the new version with the tube guard i have to lower to tube guard in order for the tamer to fit, not really keen on doing that.

Im also considering going for a head+cab instead. But this will be more expensive .
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8
Last edited by wanner at Oct 2, 2009,
Tube rattle varies by individual amp. Repositioning the tubes and shields should get rid of the rattle in most amps, unless the sockets need work.
You can also get better shields, or use O-rings to dampen the rattle.
The tube tamer should solve your problems, that tube guard could be a bit of a pain though. The Combo versions of those amps always seem have that problem. I would decide more based on if you like the tone of the amp vs the VC.
I would hate to change it for a VC30 and have the same rattling problems. Is this common for all tube amps? What about fenders?

I will check how much I have to pay for a head version along with a 112 cab. That would probably be a good solution for me.
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8
Last edited by wanner at Oct 2, 2009,
Seriously, Tube Tamer...It's like $20..
Head+Cab will cost WAY more...

So you have to reposition the Tube Guard, big deal.

Considering Tube Rattle is one of the very few factual complaints against the C30.
Sure there are some people who don't like it's tone, but that is opinion.
This is one of the only complaints based on fact, and can be corrected.

If you like the tone, the tube tamer will be worthwhile.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Oct 2, 2009,
definitely get a tube tamer. teh toanz are worth it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I went to the store with my C30. Showed them the rattle and they said that it was not supposed to sound like that. No problems exchanging it. They offered to fix the rattle. But i added some money and bought a Fender Deluxe VM instead. And so far im loving it! Beautiful tones and no rattle.
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8
I didn't have any rattling when I had me VC30
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Thanks, I tried the VC30 but i just didnt care much for the gain.
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8