Well we've finally brought together a band everyone is happy with. Drummer, vocalist, lead and rhythm guitar.. Everyone's happy. Only problem is we don't have a bassist and can't for the life of us find one.

We live in a small country town and so we have very limited choices.. The only bassists we've found were in their 40s, leaving town to go to uni or already in a band. So while we're continuing to advertise in the hope that there may be someone, we are starting to realise that we may not find one at all.

My question is how can we get around not having a bassist and still have a rock/hard rock sound?

Cheers
Last edited by NothingButRock at Oct 2, 2009,
If you have two guitarists,why not make the rythem guitarist a bassist ?. you dont NEED two guitarist,even though it is cool.
you cant really... tell rhythm or lead to pick up bass. cause that would be better suited. you need the low end alot for hard rock. or even tell the singer to learn to play bass. or tell rhytem to play bass and make the singer play rhythem cause its not really needed unless you have dual lines or solo's.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Last edited by matosh.lee at Oct 2, 2009,
Generally speaking, that responsibility lies with your rhythm guitarist. Hard rock tends to consist of a gut-wrenching, ballad-like riff from your lead which, by default, will rule him or her out. Your rhythm guitarist will have room to focus on altering his chord progression to suit your bassless needs.
Have the vocalist play bass. You can make the bass parts not too difficult and still easily get by. Unless your doing like technical death metal or something. Mastodon does it. There's tons of bands that do it.
I agree.. you have 4 people in your group, two out of three can pick up the bass..
Only problem is the singer has never picked up an instrument in his life.. But I guess if it was just something simple like playing the root notes then he should be able to handle it.. i think... It's just hard enough to get him to buy his own things as it is.
Quote by NothingButRock
Only problem is the singer has never picked up an instrument in his life.. But I guess if it was just something simple like playing the root notes then he should be able to handle it.. i think... It's just hard enough to get him to buy his own things as it is.

don't do that. I really don't believe that you should have just anybody play the bass. It's not a second rate instrument. If you really want to go that route, at the very least have the rhythm guitarist play bass - at least he'll have a better idea of what to do. But I really think that you should find a real bass player. Try and convince one from another band to join you. It is possible to be in two bands you know.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Maybe convince a friend of yous who isnt in the band to take up bass?

I took up bass, because i was asked to join a band
Having your rhythm guitarist pick up bass seems like it would make the most sense. Maybe take your singer to Guitar Center or something, put a bass in his hands, see if he has a knack for it. Not having a bass at all with just make your music sound hollow.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by NothingButRock

only problem is you've got two ****ing guitarists, who're probably both still learning.. who already think they're too good to play bass.

Everyone plays guitar, you need bass.. you need to make one of your guitarists play bass, even if it's you.. even if you're better than the other guy, if he wont play bass.. kick him out, play that ****ing bass and get a better guitarists.. which is much easier to find

either way, when you have a kid beat them and make them play that bass
why don't you get one of the guitarists to play bass and guitar until you find a bassist, not like your doing live shows if your just starting out. BTW im a bassist, and bands without bass suck majorly and get nowhere, my advice is keep looking for one.
Quote by Freunleven
Get an A/B/Y switch, and run the rhythm guitar to both his amp and a bass amp. It'll work temporarily, at least.

Uh...unless he had a pitch shifter, it would do nothing except give him an awesome clean sound.
Quote by Freunleven
Get an A/B/Y switch, and run the rhythm guitar to both his amp and a bass amp. It'll work temporarily, at least.

Playing through a bass amp doesn't magically drop everything you play by an octave.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Okay, so as pointed out, add a pitch shifter to the chain leading into the bass amp, and set the EQ to differentiate the bass sounds from the rhythm guitar - in part to avoid the ...And Justice For All effect. Be sure, too, to separate any guitar-specific effects from bass-specific ones in the chain.

The A/B/Y switch would also allow him to switch from bass to rhythm guitar to both, for parts in songs that require one, the other, or both. Maybe something new and interesting could come from such a setup.

use a keyboard to play your basslines

just another option. that's what we do sometimes at church. singer plays basslines. on a keyboard. just choose a bass guitar patch

again, just another option
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo - for sale? considering selling it.
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Ibanez GRG270CA (for sale)
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
No. You need a bassist to play hard rock. No matter how underrated (or at times overrated) they are, bassists are always needed. I tried playing songs without a bassist, it just doesn't sound right without one.

Perhaps you could get the vocalist to play bass? In most cases, you need a simple rhythmic bassline which could easily be done by the vocalist while he/she sings.
Quote by Freunleven

But then you just get the guitar part twice (presumably dropped an octave through the bass amp). A bassist isn't just going to play the exact same thing as the rhythm guitarist down an octave...

Quote by xDeprivationx
If you have two guitarists,why not make the rythem guitarist a bassist ?. you dont NEED two guitarist,even though it is cool.

I've always hated this attitude that a guitarist can just pick up the bass. They're way different instruments, and you aren't able to play bass just because you've played guitar. There's a bit of crossover, but it still requires quite a bit of effort for a guitarist of any caliber to become a bassist worth playing with.
Quote by isaac_bandits

I've always hated this attitude that a guitarist can just pick up the bass. They're way different instruments, and you aren't able to play bass just because you've played guitar. There's a bit of crossover, but it still requires quite a bit of effort for a guitarist of any caliber to become a bassist worth playing with.

its good enough for what he needs it for though.