I've been wanting to pick up a strat for a while as I feel I've outgrown the thin brightness of my Squier Affinity. I've of course heard only good things about G and L's (just wish the headstock wasn't so lame looking). I was thinking either a legacy or tribute, my price range is 250-700 bucks. I was considering getting a standard mexican but after playing an american deluxe I want something that'll really put out but is worth the price. The deluxe player seems to be just about what an american deluxe delivers, just lacking the niceness of samarium cobalt pickups and s1 switching.

Trouble is the deluxe player I've only seen in 12 inch radius, which is annoying. I'm not exactly sure what radius my affinity strat is, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 9 inch area. I'm basically looking for something like it. Fast maple neck that's curvy enough to get my thumb around since I often play sloppy, fast funk riffs and heavily bended blues licks.

I do however, want this buy to be a final one, as in I'm hoping I won't need to upgrade from here and hence want this one to do it all. So I'd prefer it if what I bought could play slow, middy, warm and full solos, classical cleans or zeppelin-esque riffs. Hence why I'm finding the G and L to possibly be to more convincing buy.
my suggestion is find a used standard strat sense you said that one was more comfertable. and the money you save you can use to switch pickups to something more "you" even if that is as simple as upgrading to the american made noiseless fender pickups.

out of the two i would go the fender option G&L guitars are great in thier most expensive price ranges but very disapointing on the lower end of the budget. where as fender is a great value for whatever price range they are in.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I am looking at about the same thing as you and unfortunately the closest dealer for G&L is about an hour away. from what I've seen, G&Ls beat out fender in stock components, but a lot of people don't like the feel of the G&l. I think the only real solution here is to take both and do a side by side comparison.

personally I'm looking at the tribute series vs. MIM standard and am heading to the shop next week hopefully.
Quote by Plexi81
I've been wanting to pick up a strat for a while as I feel I've outgrown the thin brightness of my Squier Affinity. I've of course heard only good things about G and L's (just wish the headstock wasn't so lame looking). I was thinking either a legacy or tribute, my price range is 250-700 bucks. I was considering getting a standard mexican but after playing an american deluxe I want something that'll really put out but is worth the price. The deluxe player seems to be just about what an american deluxe delivers, just lacking the niceness of samarium cobalt pickups and s1 switching.

Trouble is the deluxe player I've only seen in 12 inch radius, which is annoying. I'm not exactly sure what radius my affinity strat is, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 9 inch area. I'm basically looking for something like it. Fast maple neck that's curvy enough to get my thumb around since I often play sloppy, fast funk riffs and heavily bended blues licks.

I do however, want this buy to be a final one, as in I'm hoping I won't need to upgrade from here and hence want this one to do it all. So I'd prefer it if what I bought could play slow, middy, warm and full solos, classical cleans or zeppelin-esque riffs. Hence why I'm finding the G and L to possibly be to more convincing buy.

If you look for an older deluxe, you might find one with the S1 switching, or you can buy it yourself and install it. I say go for the deluxe if you have the money for it.

As for the radius, 12" isn't that bad. 12" allows smoother bends and just better playing in my opinion. From what I've also seen on the G&L's, they all come standard with 12" radius fretboards, some with 7.25" but I haven't seen any 9.25".

Play the deluxe, if you don't like the fretboard, look for something else.
Some pretty mixed results there, but thanks everyone for their input. I think I'll try out a G and L and if I dislike it, I'll buy a stock mexican and do a pup swap.