Hey everyone. I just bought the schecter diamond series omen 6 fr with floyd yesterday at guitar center as my first electric guitar. I didn't know that on electrics you have to losen the nut before tuning the strings, so I broke a string before I got home. I have no idea what kind of gauge strings I need to buy now. Anyone know what the default strings are for the omen 6 fr?

sorry if this is the wrong forum or anything but,

Guitar Gear & Accessories (75 Viewing)
Discuss guitar amps & effects. Also strings, picks, cables, capos and other guitar toys.

I think i'm in the right place to ask this.
probably 10-46, i'm pretty sure they come standard with new guitars, you could check on the schecter website though

edit: seeing as it's your first electric, i would just put 10s on it. most people use that for their first guitar
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Last edited by viper_mike at Oct 2, 2009,
Checked schecterguitars.com, no luck. They didn't show string info. I don't wanna buy strings too light or too heavy since I don't want to have to set up all the parts since I don't know too much about them yet.
Quote by cccp2006
I didn't know that on electrics you have to losen the nut before tuning the strings, so I broke a string before I got home.

You only have to loosen the nut if the guitar has a locking nut. Not all electrics have them (I would say most don't)
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
The guitar has a floyd rose special tremolo, so it also has a locking floyd rose special nut.
well it really depends on what you want. thicker strings will have a more bass heavy sound and be slightly harder on your fingers. i was previously using 10-42's i think those are the most thin you can get. i just put some 10-52's on my guitar yesterday or the day before though. i prefer them because they take away the over the top twang my guitar has on it's bridge pick up. i think in general, harder rock, heavier strings. if you want more of a bright twangy sound thinner. if you don't care and just want one's that are easy to play, i'd probably go with thinner ones. but if you're going from acoustic to electric you might not care since they typically have thicker strings. thinner strings can be more difficult to play accurately because the string can more easily slip from your fingers, but they're not as hard on your fingers.
hope that's of some help...
i'm pretty sure most schecter guitars come stock with .10-.46 GHS boomers.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'm glad we don't have Guitar Center in Australia it seems like they just take your money and shove you out the door without even explaining something like how to tune your guitar lol
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I'm glad we don't have Guitar Center in Australia it seems like they just take your money and shove you out the door without even explaining something like how to tune your guitar lol

But its better to learn from mistakes than from some guy telling you :p

Can anyone recommend a brand for 10-42 strings?
Quote by cccp2006
But its better to learn from mistakes than from some guy telling you :p

It's also more expensive.

Try Ernie Ball. Good quality, and not too expensive, IMO.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
It's best to learn from other people's mistakes.

Be sure to change all the strings.

Research it first (lots of good info in UG forums & youtube). Don't trust it if it doesn't tell you to block the trem inside the cavity during the string changes & tuning, though...

Also be sure to stretch each string thoroughly (until you can stretch it 2 times without the tuning changing at all) before moving on to the next string. Be sure to use a good chromatic tuner.

Check this out for a great tip for getting the strings on your tuning pegs (somewehere round the 7th minute): http://www.seymourduncan.com/movie/Les_Paul_High/330/250

Buy 3-4 sets of strings, as you're likely to break a few more as you get used to stretching them.

Don't even ask the GC guys for help. There's maybe 1 or 2 of those employees in the whole country who know what they're doing. Otherwise they'd work somewhere else.

Set aside several hours for this because you'll be tuning, re-tuning, adjusting springs, tuning, re-tuning, etc. all freaking day the first time. Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of Floyd Rose. The good news is once/if you have it set up right, you won't need to touch it until the next string change.

Cheers,
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I would go Ernie Ball slinkys

I second that. I've been using D'Addario 10s for as long as I can remember, but the store was all out of them last time, so I decided to go with the Ernie Balls on a whim, and I must say, they really are quite nice. I never knew my neck could play that smooth. Check them out.
Quote by cccp2006
The guitar has a floyd rose special tremolo, so it also has a locking floyd rose special nut.

Amazing. The noob comes to us with a question, and makes a correction to someone else's window-licker post. Absolutely ****ing amazing!

TS, why styles do are you interrested in? It's better to have a heavier bottom guage for some. Let me guess, you want to play metal, right? Of course you do, you're on UG. Ernie Ball makes a good all around string until you find what you prefer... which again might be Ernie Ball. EB Slinky Top / Heavy Bottoms are good if you're a down-tune kinda guy.
Quote by cccp2006

I'm well aware, strangely enough, as the guitar name has FR in it and you said you had to loosen it.

I said that because you seemed to imply you thought ALL electric guitars had locking nuts
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Make sure you know how to change strings. You'll destroy your new guitar if you change them improperly.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy