Hey guys hows it goin?.

Pretty much my issue atm is im currently playing a Fender Jazz in CDCF tuning. I also have a Spector 6 string in lowB-highC tuning. Im wanting to swap it over so my 6 is my drop bass but im worried about G to A#... I dont really see an issue with this at all but the wanker at the guitar shop seemed pretty hard on not going low G.

Does anyone have a good reason not to pull this set up? Im also wanting to swap to the 6 string because its 24 frets and since i got a bass with 24 frets some of the bass solo's etc. im doing for the band im in travel that high up and... would need the A# in question.

Also, opening this up to anyone with interesting 6 string tunings etc. (in before - HEY MY GUITAR HAS A COOL 6 STRING TUNING)

Cheers guys,
Is the D is CDCF a typo? Normally that would be CGCF.

The tuning I use with my 5 string is ADGCF, and I drop it to GDGCF. I have absolutely no problems with it using a .135 low B for the A/G. Neither does Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne.

There is nothing wrong with tuning GCGCFA# if you use a slightly heavier gauge of string and give the instrument a proper setup.
yeah sorry mate it is a CGCF tuning. Will be looking to get the strings tomorrow as its a long weekend in NSW aus and i want to slam out the bass for a few days.

Cheers
how about G C G C F Bb ?? again am i just the only one who drop tunes their bass like this?? seriously??
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
oh btw i was meaning to ask this earlier.
What gauge would these strings be?...

ie. 130 is normally a B, what would i roughly be looking for with a low G be and a high A# to get moderate tension (rather than say tuning down my High C to a#)??
I remember hearing somewhere that you add .005 for every half step you go down. I would look into a second opinion on this, though, just to make sure.
the B and E string will be fine i know that for sure. but then again it depends on your bass some drop tune better then others i guess it depends on the scale of your bass. also make sure to wind your strings alot around the pegs when you string them that will help things not get floppy on you
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
the B and E string will be fine i know that for sure. but then again it depends on your bass some drop tune better then others i guess it depends on the scale of your bass. also make sure to wind your strings alot around the pegs when you string them that will help things not get floppy on you

There's no need for stupid amounts of windings. 2-4 winds, going from top to bottom will be fine. And all basses drop tune fine- it's all in the quality of the setup.
i play ACGCF most times.

im playing with a .135 5th string, it plays fine with the A but cant handle the low G. gets all rattly and horrid.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Ok i just got probably the closest i can, and i hope it works. the music shops near me are pretty ****ty
If not, well no loss really ill still have the 4 strings im currently using working on a 6 string and just 2 bung wacked strings with custom fun tunings ( FOR NOW)

closest i could pick up was a 0.35 for trying to get a# and a 0.145 for the G then also just a heavy gauge pack that i was using on my fender also.

Will report soon how it goes,
Quote by tofuhead
Ok i just got probably the closest i can, and i hope it works. the music shops near me are pretty ****ty
If not, well no loss really ill still have the 4 strings im currently using working on a 6 string and just 2 bung wacked strings with custom fun tunings ( FOR NOW)

closest i could pick up was a 0.35 for trying to get a# and a 0.145 for the G then also just a heavy gauge pack that i was using on my fender also.

Will report soon how it goes,

You do that, and good luck. If it works i'd like to know where you got a .145 gauge string.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
A slight hijack here so sorry, but while detuning my 4 string to bead, and defiantly preferred the more floppiness of the strings, any one know how to keep this loosness in eadg
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm basically in the exact same situation- Six string Spector tuned to drop B- and I just broke my year old E string yesterday, so I'm looking for new sets. I found this set of D'Addarios, but I can't wait over a week to order the strings, really: http://www.guitarcenter.com/D-Addario-EXL165-6-XL-6-String-Bass-Soft-Regular-String-Set-100232-i1122094.gc

Anyone have any other options for me? I want the B to be at least .135, and the E to at least be .105.
Quote by MustangMan311
I'm basically in the exact same situation- Six string Spector tuned to drop B- and I just broke my year old E string yesterday, so I'm looking for new sets. I found this set of D'Addarios, but I can't wait over a week to order the strings, really: http://www.guitarcenter.com/D-Addario-EXL165-6-XL-6-String-Bass-Soft-Regular-String-Set-100232-i1122094.gc

Anyone have any other options for me? I want the B to be at least .135, and the E to at least be .105.

I just ran thru Juststrings and only came up with the set that you posted. Pretty much everything that would generally be recommended stops at .130 but there are quite a few of the E .105 and B .130. Warwicks got a set out in the gauges you need though, dont know anything about those strings though ... probably pretty good.

However, if its viable for you, you can get a 4 string set and just buy the singles for the C and B strings ... i think its silly how in singles there are the correct gauges from many brands but no sets with them.

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by Thegian
I just ran thru Juststrings and only came up with the set that you posted. Pretty much everything that would generally be recommended stops at .130 but there are quite a few of the E .105 and B .130. Warwicks got a set out in the gauges you need though, dont know anything about those strings though ... probably pretty good.

However, if its viable for you, you can get a 4 string set and just buy the singles for the C and B strings ... i think its silly how in singles there are the correct gauges from many brands but no sets with them.

Thanks man, checked Just Strings earlier today before I saw this post and ordered them. Shipping hurt me to pay, but it'll be worth it, hopefully. Haha.
Ok update coz i only just got around to doing this. as shameful as that is.
the .145 worked ok for the G, has pretty much the tension etc. for what i wanted. and the 0.35 was perfect for the A#.

Only issue which i 1/2 know how to fix is a ****load of buzz on the G & low C. personally i havnt had this issue to many times over the last 3 years of playing bass. always had a fairly standard E setup, and when i dropped my fender jazz i only had to bring up the action a tiny bit to get rid of it. which ive tried on this but i obviously dont wanna bring it up far.

A friend does something like sands down his frets on his guitar... or atleast he mentioned about doin it, but i dont wanna do that to the bass.

this is probably a FAQ and im waiting to get atleast told to look for it in a million places on the forum already.
Well, the FAQ is one of the stickies and it has a "contents" post for easy finding. Raising action is one of a number of things involved in a proper setup. If you don't feel comfortable, take it into a tech.

Remember though, is it buzz or clack, because there is a difference. Tuning that low, you're going to get clack, and it's going to have a bit of buzz independant from action. Personally, I like me a bit of clack. Not Fieldy like clack, but some clack. If it is actual buzz, then a proper setup should fix it.
/bow.
Well, going through each fret etc. definatly a buzz, clack i can handle i just changed some EQ so it wasnt as overpowering. its getting there.

Ive got an old mate who is a guitar tech that i did some audio engineering with.. might drop him a line and see if hes interested in having a jam or that then ill pounce.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
how about G C G C F Bb ?? again am i just the only one who drop tunes their bass like this?? seriously??

Bb is A#..........
Quote by FUT55
Bb is A#..........

I remember a rule that if you lower a note you write the b and if you raise it you write the #.

if anyone really cares - bass is currently GCGCFBb
for those that dont care - my bass is currently also GCGCFA#

Just thought I'd post an update- I got the D'Addario set I was talking about on the first page, with the heavy top strings and the regular bottom. They play really, really nicely, sound great, etc. The B string has almost no fret buzz when I play it, even on the first few frets.
Quote by MustangMan311
Just thought I'd post an update- I got the D'Addario set I was talking about on the first page, with the heavy top strings and the regular bottom. They play really, really nicely, sound great, etc. The B string has almost no fret buzz when I play it, even on the first few frets.

Sounds good, thanks for the update Now we know the .135 does work well.