I played in a band and got my distortion solely from my marshall TSL601 combo but now im changing to a clean slightly overdriven sound. I reckon the marshalls clean tone is rubbish so im considering getting the hot rod deluxe or deville 410 for a fantastic clean base then adding a tube screamer.
Im torn between the two. I suppose the 410 will have better cleans and plenty headroom but im worried it'll never be turned up enough to get the best tone out of it. im worried that the deluxe will break up too early. Im not interested in the gain channels.
Im edging towards the 410 because of the headroom, any advice? any alternative amps for the job? (i wouldnt be willing to pay more than cost of 410)
thanks.
Marshall TSLs have pretty good cleans. The thing is that they are Marshall cleans, which are much darker and smoother than Fender's chimy, bright cleans. One is not necessarily better than the other.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Im interested in the responses to this as well. Will the 40w HRDeluxe stay clean at high enough volumes to be heard over a loud bassist and drummer, or would it be better to spring for the HRDeVille?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I have the HRD and use it solely on the clean channel with a Ibanez Tubescreamer for overdrive when I need it. It stays clean enough for me at high volume. I like it a lot.

The only time I used a DeVille was in the store when I bought the HRD, I felt between the two the HRD had a better clean sound (more of a classic Fender clean) whereas the DeVille was more of a mellow, jazzy sort of clean tone.

Hope that's of some help.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Depends bro, I have a deluxe, and with my Gibbo, it starts driving even at bedroom volumes.
spinelss
Does anyone think id be better off searching for a used twin reverb? i could maybe get one for the same price as a new deville and i hear the cleans are second to none.
twin reverbs are awesome. i tried one in the store when i bought my HRD but i couldn't talk the guy into doing a good deal so i ended up with the HRD. on the other hand, they are a friggin heavy amp to lug around if you are gigging (unless you have a roadie ).

don't know about a used twin reverb, i guess as long as the tubes are fairly new and it tests out then OK.
- Jimi Hendrix
Ok thanks.
Anyone use a tube screamer? My plan is to find an ibanez TS9 so i can dial in the amount of overdrive i want after ive decided on an amp. Id like to hear what ppl think of them and hear of personal experiences.
yeah i use a tubescreamer TS9DXwith my HRD. i got it used off ebay for about half of the brand new price, it's in pretty good condition.

it does not distort to a ridiculous extent but that's because it's an overdrive pedal and not a distortion pedal. i find it OK for some songs but occasionally i use a boss distortion pedal for heavy stuff with lots of sustain. you really need to test some pedals out to see what suits you.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by anderson80
Does anyone think id be better off searching for a used twin reverb? i could maybe get one for the same price as a new deville and i hear the cleans are second to none.

Silverface Twin Reverbs go for around $400-$600. I'd try for one of those. They are sub-par compared to pre-CBS Fender stuff, but compared to the new stuff they are still much better. Check out Craigslist, you should see a few.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
A mic'ed up deluxe will have a enough headroom. but unmic'ed it might break up to early for your liking.
***Short Sig***