So, I really want to write some deathcore (in b4 people complaining) I love the drums, the riffs, the vocals, all of it. It's groovy to listen to. I've been playing for nearly 3 years, and I'm starting to notice my compositional skills are horrible and it is EXTREMELY frustrating. I try and listen to other bands, analyze there structure, yet.. i draw blanks coming up with my own stuff.

Any help? Advice? It realy drives me nuts.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Find someone who appreciates the same music you do to collaborate with. Also, don't limit yourself to one genre. Keep writing and record as much as possible, even if it's on your cell phone or voice mail or whatever.
I try but it's like... argh! I watch countless vids, I sit there trying to string together notes that sound good together but everything I do just sounds horrible. I don't know what to do that would be beneficial to composing because I just get so frustrated I quit. I can open up a song on gp, take anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour and get it down pat, but when I try and come up with something of my own... I just give up.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
but everything I do just sounds horrible.

Then you're making Deathcore.

Try using scales such as Augmented and Harmonic Minor.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Balmazer
Then you're making Deathcore.

Try using scales such as Augmented and Harmonic Minor.

Quoted for truth, on both counts.

As much as I hate to say it, but learn some Bring Me The Horizon (pre-Suicide Season), As Blood Runs Black, and possibly some Veil of Maya (technicality doesn't make your music good tho).
Learning some Gothenburg death metal (aka At The Gates) also helps, as most deathcore is usually rehashed melo-death riffs with the chugging breakdowns of modern metalcore.
So if I wrote a song using the harmonic minor scale in the key of c, these would be all the notes available ?

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=C&scchnam=Harmonic+Minor&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

I suppose this ties into theory, but, would I be able to use other scales? Or is would I be limited to all those notes?
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Chromatic runs and powerchords are your friends in deathcore.
C/C# harmin are used heavily in death and metalcore, depending on your tuning. Drop C is a popular choice. Make sure to use unresolving dissonances (tritones are important here), and the minor third interval is to be used in nearly every bar.
Rhythms have to...for gods sake, you live in Arizona! That's the home base of deathcore!
The scale and tuning don't necessarily matter, as it's how you use the notes. Deathcore is more about groove and breakdowns, with minor 3rds heavily polluting the melody section.
A Different Breed of Killer is one of the few deathcore bands that I enjoy. I would take a look at them to take a look at more interesting form of the genre.
I don't know much about theory, so I don't get what you mean when you say minor thirds but.. this is enjoyable.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Let's say you're in drop C. 6th string open is obviously C. You move 3 semitones down (a step and a half), and you land on D#, which would be the 3rd fret. Or you could go to F (5th fret) and the minor 3rd would be G# (8th fret) (let's say this in the key of Charmin).
The major 3rd interval would be just one more semitone on top of that.
Remember that scales and intervals are just the stepping stones in music; to get a complete picture, you have to work on all aspects of music (rhythm, timbre, pitch, and dynamics).

Here's that band I was taking about.
http://www.myspace.com/adifferentbreedofkiller
how much theory do you know?
do you know the major and minor scales? how about pentatonics? are you comfortable playing them all around the neck?
do you know how to construct a chord sequence from a scale you're in?
If you can play the minor pentatonic (or full minor) scale and construct chords from that scale it is almost impossible to make something that sounds 'bad' it just might not sound very interesting.
Finally - can you hum/hear good melody lines/riffs in your head? if so - play them on a guitar and hey presto you have a song! knowing major/minor scales is a good place to start if you're aren't very practised at getting ideas from your brain to paper.

EDIT: if you don't understand the major/minor scale yet then you will struggle with more complex scales - sure you'll be able to play them and make some stuff - but you'll be pretty limited if you don't know how they work
Last edited by doive at Oct 2, 2009,