hey guys, well ive finally decided its time i do my first project guitar. im going to be doing some custom work on my Ibanez RG7321. im going to strip the paint off the body, fill in the neck pup, arch the top, fit it for a EMG-707 with just one volume knob, and do a swirl paint job in black and white! pics will be up soon of the beginning process
How you done a swirl before? It looks easier than done. lol. Experiment with lots of different kinds of paint and lots of different size test pieces. And because it looks good swirled on a 2x4, it may not take the same to a guitar body so use a similar sized piece of wood to a guitar body for testing. If you have done it before, then ignore that, otherwise just trying to save you from ending up with 3 crappy swirls that have to be sanded down and redone. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
If you're going to carve the top then make sure you don't carve through to the control cavity, i don't think there will be a large amount of wood there before you hit through. So i think you should take that into consideration before you start..still, sounds cool.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Quote by GeToChKn
How you done a swirl before? It looks easier than done. lol. Experiment with lots of different kinds of paint and lots of different size test pieces. And because it looks good swirled on a 2x4, it may not take the same to a guitar body so use a similar sized piece of wood to a guitar body for testing. If you have done it before, then ignore that, otherwise just trying to save you from ending up with 3 crappy swirls that have to be sanded down and redone. lol.

i havent, hence the fact that i said this is my first project. but ive done my research and i know about the testing and ****, and im even going to go to a pawn shop and buy a cheap **** like $40 guitar to practice on in the first place.

Quote by ILuvPillows?
If you're going to carve the top then make sure you don't carve through to the control cavity, i don't think there will be a large amount of wood there before you hit through. So i think you should take that into consideration before you start..still, sounds cool.

i know. im mainly carving the upper part where your arm rests
finally got some pics!

guitar before hand

close up body front

close up body back

and the body completely stripped of all hardware

sanding begins tomorrow!

well as long as i get one question answered that is. how do i get the ferrules in the back out of the guitar?
well since youre gonna refinish it i dont guess youre worried about scratching the finish, so id say just get some needle nose pliers and try and pull them out if that doesnt work, try to stick a small screwdriver or somethin in the ferrule holes from the front and try to knock them out that way.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
You might be able to push them out from the front, stick something in thats the same width as the hole in the top and hopefully the ferrule has a smaller hole to push on.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man