My teacher has lots of really quite old acoustics, so the finish is really worn away in places. He was asking me in my lesson this week if I knew much about restoring the finish on them?

I've done a bit of reading about the subject and it seems that most people seem to think that changing the finish can really damage (or at least unpredictably change) the sound of the guitar?

Is there any way of re-lacquering or restoring lacquer on an acoustic without harming it?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
depending on what you use it can alter the sound as well as lessen the value of the guitar if its an old one worth any kind of money. sometimes ur better off leaving it as is. besides personally i think thats what gives a guitar its flavor, their ment to be played not kept on a shelf lookin pretty. what ever you decide to do good luck bro. cheers
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
anyone else?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Depends on the finish, a nitrocellous lacquer is going to be very easy to repair, 'drop fill' the areas with worn finish then sand it to the same grit as the surrounding area. It will melt into the rest of the finish and will be invisible.

How ever I cant say anything about whether it would change the tone, my guess would be that if you were just repairing the finish you would be fine, if you stripped it and re applied it then you will run into trouble, if you sand the wood your changing the wood thickness, and when you apply the new finish it will be a different thickness to the original finish, so those are factors to consider...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by samuwel
My teacher has lots of really quite old acoustics, so the finish is really worn away in places. He was asking me in my lesson this week if I knew much about restoring the finish on them?

I've done a bit of reading about the subject and it seems that most people seem to think that changing the finish can really damage (or at least unpredictably change) the sound of the guitar?

Is there any way of re-lacquering or restoring lacquer on an acoustic without harming it?

Nope. With acoustics you are pretty much stuck. If you like the tone of your instrument then it's very important that you don't refinish it.
Not taking any online orders.