Hi, just wanted to get your thoughts on this. I've been practicing a lot lately, bar chord switching specifically. The good news is my bar chords have gotten a lot better, the bad news is my index finger and thumb are chronically sore, even when I'm not playing sometimes. I figure I'll give the guitar a rest for about a week and hopefully it will improve. This will be hard because I'm always picking that thing up, 3 -4 times a day. Each time I do though, I alway reagrivate the injury. I figure I just need to vary my practicing a little and back off from the bar chord stuff so much. This ever happen to anybody else and how long did it take for the pain to go away? Thank you.
Quote by JacksonplayerXD
actually youll wanna keep playing to build up the callouses on your fingers

Don't do this yet Is it the joints or the skin?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Dont leave it a week, maybe a couple of days and keep practicing! Its the only way you will be able to get stronger and more accurate when playing guitar! You have to endure the pain to get to the fame!
Yeah, I think its true what the others say. Maybe take it easy but dont stop, those muscles will strengthen over time. I think I had the same problem in my thumb. To be honest, it never went away and when I practise for alot it still comes back, not as bad as at first, unless Ive just gotten used to it. I say just keep at it, unless its absolutely killing you and you cant bear it. Maybe try ice, or heat, but I dont know.
Quote by The Songwriter
Dont leave it a week, maybe a couple of days and keep practicing! Its the only way you will be able to get stronger and more accurate when playing guitar! You have to endure the pain to get to the fame!

Unless it's joint pain... then he could be doing something wrong and suffer for it in the long run...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Usually when i used to learn new things like bar chords etc my fingers would hurt.

Usually its just something that passes over time, as your fingers get used to the new movements and hand shapes.
So just give it a break for a day or two, and then keep at it!
Quote by Dookie92
or heat,

Couldn't resist!

But yeh it will go away eventually you just gotta strengthen yourself up! Happens to everyone!
it goes away after a few days of vigorous practicing. did for me anyway.
I'd stop for a few days, what if it's RSI? Playing on will only make it worse and it might disable you!