HI,
I am planning to change my pickup to emg 81/s/sa.I will using it via podxtlive directly for recording & live without an amp......I heard changing pickups won't make a difference if ur not using a tube amp.......Is that True.?........If so i won't be changing my pickups.....I can't afford a tube amp...currently using Marshall cd10......Please help me decide.....

Thanks in advance

My Guitar is custom made...not idea abt wood..Even the luthier don't know.....24frets,licenced fr....
sounds dodgy...

Pickups GREATLY effect your sound, regardless of amp.

BUT. if you have a small cheap practice amp, it doenst matter what guitar you have, it will sound ****.

TONE = pickups + amp

different amps sound different. just make sure your amp is good enough to express the frequencies expelled by your pickups. otherwise it will sound the same, new pickups or not.

and personally, i dont like active pickups.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91

TONE = pickups + amp

there's more to it then that buddy

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
and, why do you state the amp if your not using it? if your guitar is custom built then chacnes are the pickups are good. do some research.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Tyler Durden
there's more to it then that buddy

sure is, but for someone that cant really speak english (or cant type it..) i think 2 different factors is enough.
*Enter Sig Here*
The luthier who built the guitar doesn't know what wood he used to make it! Sounds just a little odd and worrying to me.

Pickups will change the tone of your guitar, with or without a tube amp.
Sorry for my English. And Mr.Hale u don't know me
Last edited by rahuljawahar at Oct 2, 2009,
Pickups will very slightly change your tone regardless of what you're runing though. However depending on the pickups and the map, the difference can be so tiny you won't actually notice it.

Either way, using active pickups (like those EMGs) through a pod is an incredibly bad idea. High output pickups, especially active pickups, are really onyl for driving an all-valve amp extra hard when it's already cranked; running them through anything else will only generate a worse tone and in the cases of some smaller amps, cause damage to the amp (or pod, in this case). At best, you will sound the same, normally you'll sound much worse and at worst you might actually break something.

When you're using any kind of non-valve amplification (pod, solid state amp, direct line to a computer, etc), the best pickusp you can use - no matter what genre of music you play - are very low output passive pickups, something like Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers or most vintage singlecoil pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thank u Mr.fribble.Can u suggest a set of pups then.I need a humbucker for bridge and single coil for mid and neck.I want strat like sound for soloing.I play classic rock,metal,do a lot of palm muting.Actually my current pups lack sustain & have bad harmonics.I need to improve that.
Quote by MrFlibble
Pickups will very slightly change your tone regardless of what you're runing though. However depending on the pickups and the map, the difference can be so tiny you won't actually notice it.

Either way, using active pickups (like those EMGs) through a pod is an incredibly bad idea. High output pickups, especially active pickups, are really onyl for driving an all-valve amp extra hard when it's already cranked; running them through anything else will only generate a worse tone and in the cases of some smaller amps, cause damage to the amp (or pod, in this case). At best, you will sound the same, normally you'll sound much worse and at worst you might actually break something.

When you're using any kind of non-valve amplification (pod, solid state amp, direct line to a computer, etc), the best pickusp you can use - no matter what genre of music you play - are very low output passive pickups, something like Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers or most vintage singlecoil pickups.

i agree that actives into a pod = bad.

but i have to disagree in saying that you only need low out put pickups in any other amp.

i use a X2N in my bridge and an AIRNorton in my neck through a solid state amp, they both have VERY different properties. (not to mention sound a tonne better to the stock pickups, and have very different properties to any high out put pickup ive had in the Bridge)

and i dont loose clarity switching from one to another

--

Rahul, you want a medium to high output pickup in your bridge and some genuine fender pickups in your mid/neck (not there cheap ones but there proper ones), or pickups made for that sound, which seymor and dimarzio both make.

--

properties in tone?

Guitar scale,
String material,
String thickness
Neck material,
Body wood,
Is it neckthrough?
Pre amp type and design
Speaker

i dont see how any of that is relevant in this conversation about pickups. i was just getting at the fact that the pickup factor of your tone gets canceled out if you dont have an amp thats versatile enough to express your guitar output.

your right, i dont know you. all i know is that your ability to type English is a bit meh.

thus, i assumed English isn't your first language, and that unnecessary conversation would just make this confusing.
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Oct 2, 2009,
BTW. no sustain and bad harmonics can be caused by your playing (Technique) or the quality of the guitar. if you cant create them, the best pickup in the world isnt going to be able to capture them
*Enter Sig Here*
ya,English is not my 1st language,OK leave that

Anyway, thank u Mr.Hale....I am now thinking of passives.am looking for metallica,killswitch engage kind of distortion..i know both use emgs.Can i get such thick sound with a passive pup?

guitar scale 25.5
String ernie ball-9- 42
Bolt on maple neck with rosewood fret board
U know my amp
Last edited by rahuljawahar at Oct 3, 2009,
Guitar construction can play a part, but pickups/ amp do as well.

Getting a good amp is probably a better place to start. but if your not going to use it, then go for your pickups.

you can definitely get a thick sound with out using active pickups. MANY bands heaver than metallica etc. don't use actives. ie, Dimebag (from PANTERA and DAMAGE PLAN) didnt use actives. he used a bill Lawrence Rail (aka blade) style pickup then got a Seymore duncan signature.

go to www.dimarzio.com and have a look at their signature artists, what pickups they use and what style of music they play.
*Enter Sig Here*