Right basically,

I have recently purchased an Ibanez RG7420 and it's a great MIJ 7 string. However, the pickups aren't that fantastic (V7 &V8) so I wanted to get some new ones. I'm into playing mainly progressive metal/rock and also a bit of metalcore/ deathcore kinda stuff you get the idea. My current rig consists of an Engl 4x12 cab with a Carvin V3 head. The only pedals I really use are my Boss ns-2 and my maxon od808. I don't really have a budget as such if the pickups are good and get the sound I want then I'm willing to pay the cash, as so speak.

I hope this information helps, also on a side note does anyone know much about the Ibanez lo-trs trem? As I'm thinking about changing it for an OFR 7 or a low-pro 7 but don't know if it needs modifications.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by GuitarHeroUK at Oct 2, 2009,
This metal producer from the UK I know used a Swineshead Venom 7 pickup on one of his guitars. It sounded pertty good.

Go here and go down the page till you find Swineshead Venom 7 test clip.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=762150
Quote by ethan_hanus
This metal producer from the UK I know used a Swineshead Venom 7 pickup on one of his guitars. It sounded pertty good.

Go here and go down the page till you find Swineshead Venom 7 test clip.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=762150

Cheers man, that sounds well good! I got some Swineshead pick ups in my RG and they sound amazing. Thanks for the reply
I scored a pair of 707s used with all the necessary electronics for $90 shipped... People seem to bitch about them and you do have to do routing but it's no doubt the most economical option when you're talking tone for your dollar.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
I scored a pair of 707s used with all the necessary electronics for $90 shipped... People seem to bitch about them and you do have to do routing but it's no doubt the most economical option when you're talking tone for your dollar.

Eh...707s are ok, but i regret not getting passives with an SS amp. You really don't get the best out of them without a tube amp. + routing and electrics, it adds up to quite a bit to install them too, doesn't it? I'd prefer a good set of Bareknuckles or Lundgren to 707s if I'm honest. I'd take Blackouts over 707s too if you wanna talk actives.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Eh...707s are ok, but i regret not getting passives with an SS amp. You really don't get the best out of them without a tube amp. + routing and electrics, it adds up to quite a bit to install them too, doesn't it? I'd prefer a good set of Bareknuckles or Lundgren to 707s if I'm honest. I'd take Blackouts over 707s too if you wanna talk actives.

I personally don't much subscribe to the whole actives and solid-state = bad argument since I can get some VERY solid tones out of my PodXT and EMGs (see my profile if you're interested... I have a quick noodle of Europa on there with my revised tone) so it works out for me. As for routing I did that and the electronics myself too... I guess for other people it would end up being a worse value than just buying some Dimarzios or something xD
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
dimarzio air-norton s have 7-string versions there pretty good, anyone try the new petrucci pickups, they have 7-string versions
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro