Page 1 of 2
So, after many months of debate, consideration and bugging of prominent UGers (namely Matrix Claw), I finally took the plunge and dropped a significant portion of 2 month's pay for one the most epic amps.

A while ago, this arrived.

Without more words, let the pictures speak for themselves.

It comes with a dust cover o.O

D00d... its made in the U.S of A.

What is this??? The famous V shaped EQ!

A BOOGIE MARK V! Yay!!! \o/

An up front shot of the Mark V!

And another!!

AND ANOTHER!!

Finally, one of my many many life goals have been achieved. Next up, a sell-out concert at Tokyo Dome.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 3, 2009,
Nice have fun tweaking... I'm gassing for one of those so badly..

HNAD!!!!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Dude, freaking awesome. I would want one of those, but then I would get it and be like... what the hell do I do with all these buttons and knobs and sliders! So confusing!

But seriously, HNAD!!!!!!!
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Very, very nice! what's your take on it, seeing there's many different opinions on it.

Oh, and HNAD even though you got it a while ago!
Quote by thrasher.
Very, very nice! what's your take on it, seeing there's many different opinions on it.

Oh, and HNAD even though you got it a while ago!

I won't tell ya.

Ya gotta get one to try it out.

muhahaha

Actually.... I imported it from the States as its not available in Singapore or Malaysia yet... so the voltage is 120V, whereas the voltage where I stay is 240V. Phail... I need to get a reliable step down power transformer before I can post my views... check back within the next 4 days, I'll have something up by then.

There is this possibility that I'm the first person in Singapore and Malaysia to have one as the last time I checked with the various stores, no one has placed an order for one yet! Woot (I could be wrong tho)

Thx all for the greetz!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Congratulations!
Laura: Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Sam: Samick Stratocaster Copy (first guitar)
----
Marshall MG250DFX
----
Boss SD-1
Onerr Super Distortion
thanks all.

I'm getting a lot of "What? You have a Mark V?!" from some guitarists around me.

Sad part is... I don't know what it sounds like.

>.<
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
awesome raginkitty. I knew you'd get one. I kinda miss mine but new guitar and tuition made me force my hand. have fun with it and blow people away with its awesomeness
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by DTay47
Dude, freaking awesome. I would want one of those, but then I would get it and be like... what the hell do I do with all these buttons and knobs and sliders! So confusing!

But seriously, HNAD!!!!!!!

There's a lot to tweak. Tha manual alone is about 60 pages worth of explanation on the various functions, buttons, switches and knobs, and its really deep. The manual is almost like a manual all about rocket science.

Once I read the manual, it dawned on me that there is no way anyone can expect to walk into any shop and expect to dial a kick ass tone. I honestly think that the Mark V is an amp you're gonna have to buy based on gut feel and not the test tones.

Quote by zombiak
Lately I want a Mesa SO BAD, and they have INSANE prices here, it's around 1000 bucks for Mesa Caliber DC-2, absolutely crazy. Awful to be a musician here.

Happy New Amp day, gosh, I'm jealous as hell.

D00d, I know your pain, but sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. DO IT, BUY THE MESA!

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Dude, epic. HNAD!

Heh... thx... the amp is indeed epic in terms of features and weight!

Quote by mexican_shred
awesome raginkitty. I knew you'd get one. I kinda miss mine but new guitar and tuition made me force my hand. have fun with it and blow people away with its awesomeness

Heh, thx shred... been waiting for the people on the "friends" list to notice. I suppose most will see it coming a mile away since I was going on and on about it.

Well in your case, you have the new guitar to make up for it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 2, 2009,
I bought my marks on a whim, and review and soundclips. Didnt try them before hand. Really happy the way they've turned out. The head i take its is about 46-56 lbs? I just know it weighs more than any of my cabs

Kinda regretting the new guitar : P but i love its tackyness so much
Sweet........HNAD
Quote by eyebanez333
HNAD!

Thanks d00d

Quote by A Rolling Stone
HNAD

It's a great looking head, for sure.

That is true, looks more flash than my Krank Rev Jr Pro

Quote by mexican_shred
I bought my marks on a whim, and review and soundclips. Didnt try them before hand. Really happy the way they've turned out. The head i take its is about 46-56 lbs? I just know it weighs more than any of my cabs

Kinda regretting the new guitar : P but i love its tackyness so much

I had lots to consider before paying for my Mark (i.e. was finishing off my contract so I would have been out of work for a few weeks, had some payments and had to travel to Australia to fulfil a promise etc), but dang I'm happy enough even before I plug in haha.

I think its there or abouts... I estimated its about 25 KG easily... that would translate to approx 55 pound plus minus. Its hellva heavy and I pulled some muscles moving the head.

Can't wait to transport the cab, although that'll be a long time away. I'm gonna have to settle for plugging it into my Krank cabs for the time being.

Got a pic of the axe? I didn't see your NGD.

Quote by mmjohn
Sweet........HNAD

Haha, thx d00d. Happy new gear week too!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by mexican_shred
Haha thats about what i remember. I remember my forearms feeling like crap after walking a mile with it, and going up and down stairs

what cab are you transporting?

and here it was
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182699&highlight=pgm

Aw c'mon, the PG ain't tacky... altho the painted f holes are a different matter. Cool one tho... I like it in white... it looks clean and elegant compared to the white Jems, which can be a little loud. Still looking at a PG without a flyod rose... seems weird to me haha. I always associate Gilbert's, Steve's and Satch's guitars with flyod roses.

My forearms were in pain, but the worst was that I pull my right arm's biceps just from the sheer act of lifting the Mesa up... it was a real challenge there.

I dunno about the cab. I've no idea what Mesa cab goes well with the Mark V. However, I tried lifting one 412 Recto cabs at the shop... and it was heavy AND bulky. However, it'll be a while before I get the cab as I'm slightly out of dosh right now haha.

Transporting a Mesa cab back home will be another challenge... getting it down 4 flights of steps from the shop.... into the car trunk, out of the trunk, into the house, up the stairs. Sounds like fun, I can't wait!

Alternatively I was actually thinking of getting a custom 212 cab... maybe mix a ceramic speaker for clarity and high gain and evening out the rest of the frequencies with a alnico speaker. However, I don't know the first thing about speakers, how they sound like and cab construction.

Any good cab recommendations for a Mark?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by WtrPlyr
HNAD dude

Thanks d00d. Btw you have a way trippy avatar... i just keep staring at it.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Pretty sweet dude. HNM5D!

Must be cool knowing you may be one of the only ones in SE Asia to have one. Hope you get the power transformer thing sorted soon so you can give us some clippys

Yeah I'm still quite stoked about owning a rare amp here. It's pretty cool that the serial number on my Mk5 is fairly low too. Altho I suspect Indonesia might have quite a few people who have the Mk5 too. Tho I'm fairly certain I'm the first in Singapore and Malaysia. I called up a number of shops which do amp imports to check too hehe.

Yes, hopefully by tomorrow night, I will have power transformer and everything else hooked up.

I'll post a review as soon as I can, and anyone can ask for opinions too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Aw c'mon, the PG ain't tacky... altho the painted f holes are a different matter. Cool one tho... I like it in white... it looks clean and elegant compared to the white Jems, which can be a little loud. Still looking at a PG without a flyod rose... seems weird to me haha. I always associate Gilbert's, Steve's and Satch's guitars with flyod roses.

My forearms were in pain, but the worst was that I pull my right arm's biceps just from the sheer act of lifting the Mesa up... it was a real challenge there.

I dunno about the cab. I've no idea what Mesa cab goes well with the Mark V. However, I tried lifting one 412 Recto cabs at the shop... and it was heavy AND bulky. However, it'll be a while before I get the cab as I'm slightly out of dosh right now haha.

Transporting a Mesa cab back home will be another challenge... getting it down 4 flights of steps from the shop.... into the car trunk, out of the trunk, into the house, up the stairs. Sounds like fun, I can't wait!

Alternatively I was actually thinking of getting a custom 212 cab... maybe mix a ceramic speaker for clarity and high gain and evening out the rest of the frequencies with a alnico speaker. However, I don't know the first thing about speakers, how they sound like and cab construction.

Any good cab recommendations for a Mark?

reverse headstock, white color, maple fretboard, one knob and painted f holes. It spells tacky in my book almost as much as pinky

After i got my mark IV i started hitting the gym to transport it easier haha..

Cab wise i tried an Avatar 2x12 with v30's, recto traditional, a Vader 2x12 and a mesa 1x12 with a c90 blackshadow

the best sounding was the 1x12 and vader. Vader had such a nice bass response and counterd nicely with the middy sound of the mark IV. Its by far by favorite cab even over recto cabs. I'd buy a second vader for my next amp if i already didn't have enough cabs to play at wembly stadium
Quote by mexican_shred
reverse headstock, white color, maple fretboard, one knob and painted f holes. It spells tacky in my book almost as much as pinky

After i got my mark IV i started hitting the gym to transport it easier haha..

Cab wise i tried an Avatar 2x12 with v30's, recto traditional, a Vader 2x12 and a mesa 1x12 with a c90 blackshadow

the best sounding was the 1x12 and vader. Vader had such a nice bass response and counterd nicely with the middy sound of the mark IV. Its by far by favorite cab even over recto cabs. I'd buy a second vader for my next amp if i already didn't have enough cabs to play at wembly stadium

Hmmm... I suppose you've not see my Pink Sawtooth then have you... black and with a pink pin stripe. Tacky?

Ooo a mesa cab with blackshadows... That is old skool.

I'll have a look around. In the mean time I'll probably have to stick to my Krank Rev Jr cabs.

One point I wanted to ask, Matrix Claw said that one "shortcoming" of the Marks were that an overdrive did nothing for his Mk IV... do you agree with that?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
HNAD! Welcome to the mark family :P

Have fun setting dialing in your tone, lol

About the OD, I tried a ZW-44 Overdrive pedal on the lead channel of my MkIV. Didn't really add much except feedback. I played with it for maybe 5 minutes. I could probably get some more gain if I tried to play with it. Sounded decent on the Rhythm 1 & 2 channels.
scoop the midz moar

but congrats dude. that thing looks great
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by ragingkitty
Hmmm... I suppose you've not see my Pink Sawtooth then have you... black and with a pink pin stripe. Tacky?

Ooo a mesa cab with blackshadows... That is old skool.

I'll have a look around. In the mean time I'll probably have to stick to my Krank Rev Jr cabs.

One point I wanted to ask, Matrix Claw said that one "shortcoming" of the Marks were that an overdrive did nothing for his Mk IV... do you agree with that?

hmm maybe. pinky still leads my tacky club

The c90's sound terrible in recto and rectoverbs but with an amp that doesnt already have a scoopedish bass sound it sounds nice. the c90 feels like it scoops the mids and raises bass a little. with mid heavy amps i found it perfect. Still doesnt beat my vader. My vader and mark IV are two things i will never ever consider selling.

eh i think its a little misleading. Rh1 channel with just a ts-9 gets a nice blusey break up. while with a ocd gets a nice crunch. Rh2 ts-9 put it into any classic rock territory. OCD will put it into 80's territory.

lead- ts-9 gave it a little boost- more than you'll need. Some feedback. with an OCD more than you'll need. It gets noisy here on the lead channel but a isp decimator or a proper ns-2 killed it and made it quiet.
IMO lead+GEQ with ts-9 at gain at 9, tone at 12 and volume and 2 o clock is more than enough gain for anyone
Sometimes listening to "the Claw" just feels good. Nice amp also! I have been offered quite a deal on a MKV with a Bassoon cab and I just can't swing it right now.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
It took me several years of experimenting with guitar, pickup, and setting combinations with my Boogie to find "my tone," and I still want to do more with different tube types.

A Boogie Mark series amp is a harsh mistress, no doubt about it, but the sex is toe-curling, sheet-grabbing good.
Hi, I'm Peter
Sweet!

I was pleasantly surprised by this amp. The cleans and crunch are WAY better than the Mark IV. The only thing I thought that was weird... is that the Mark IV setting has more gain than the Extreme setting

I thought it was quite easy to dial in though, it's not picky like the Mark IV or Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
HNAD!
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
HNAD!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
did you buy it through mesahollywood.com?
how much was shipping?
is the warranty still valid?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
OK, just got back home a while ago.. with the all vital step-down power transformer.

Hooked it up to my two 112 Krank Rev Jr cabs...

switched it on...

didn't blow up... that's good...

and I fiddled with the three channels, twiddled the knobs for a while... settled for playing "Don't Cry" on channel 1.

I have 5 comments.

ONE
All the damned reviews and youtube clips do not do the Mesa Mark V justice at all. Its like a lot of the players just twiddled the knobs and played... the clean channel sounds amazing (its the only channel I fiddled with for any significant amount of time)! I went from a Fender-y "clean" tone, to a Marshall-y "clean" tone easily.

Don't trust any vids you see online, it really insults the capabilities and versatility of the Mesa. Most reviewers set it on one setting and proceed to review it without tweaking each of the modes on each channel... the amp is significantly more versatile than any review suggest.

Two

Damn... the amp sounds f'ing amazing even on low volumes. It was 11pm here in Malaysia when I tested it... so I couldn't crank it TOO FAR.

Between 7 o'clock and 8 o'clock on the master volume, you get anywhere from nothing to static to slight crackles as th signal struggles to get through.

From 8 o'clock onwards... the amp didn't just shine... it was amaing! You don't get any of that nasally, weak, trebly or quacky tone you get with most tube amps when they are set too low.

At low volumes, the Mark V was sparkling. Sure it didn't have the shimmer associated with slightly pushed power tubes... but it sounded damned good... miles better than any tube amp I've played at low volumes.

THREE

The Mark V is hard to dial in.

Anyone who's walked into a store, tried a Mk V and says the tone sucks needs too be knee capped and lobotomised. It took a lot of effort and reference to the manual to get a hang of how to begin to dial in a good tone.

Also you cannot apply the same EQ logic to the different channels and the different modes within the different channel... it just does not work that way.

Anyone who has only tried the Mark V in a store and says it sucks, does not know what he is talking about. Trust him as much as you'd trust Boris the Blade.

FOUR

Damn... there are too many knobs, switches and options that I didn't know where to start to dial in a tone.

FIVE

DAMN it can go loud.

Quote by necrophilic
did you buy it through mesahollywood.com?
how much was shipping?
is the warranty still valid?

I bought it from Sweetwater...

I have no idea about shipping, I just got my regular store to sort all that crap out for me... and I ended up paying SG$3750.

A little bit of mark up there... but I'm not so bothered. Plus the store gave me a 2 year warranty too.

With regards to Mesa's warranty... I actually have no idea if its still valid.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 3, 2009,
I've been thinking of getting one of those too. It would look too sweet on top of my Traditional size Recto cab.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Very nice dude. I'm planning on buying either the Mark V or a Roadster. Still need to compare the two side to side, but when I played a Mark V my mind was blown at the sheer versatility of it. It almost reminded me of a modeling amp with all the different sounds that could be coaxed out of it. And I mean modeling in the best way possible.
Happy New Mesa Day
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Page 1 of 2