Hey. I'm in the market for a new amp as my next gear buy. I just want to clarify some stuf before i start trying out and deciding what i'm going to go for.

I know a head includes pre and power amp.
That runs into the speakercab which will produce the sound.
Combo has both.

Now, when you see people with two heads running two speakers what's the point of that?

And now for my actual proper qustion...

The heads are produced separately from speakers (i presume) so you can mix what speaker you want with your head...

But, why would someone do this? My question really should read:

How does each one affect tone: Speaker, Head, Pre-amp? Is there any advantage to mixing say, a Mesa Boogie Head with a Marshall cab?
two heads running two speakers: they can split the signal so you can use one amp as a clean amp and the other as your dist amp (i think dave grohl does it)

mixing heads and cabs: each head has a different tone, so does each speaker cabinet, if you try out head A through cab A (matching model) and head B through cab B (also matching model) you'll get a different tone, but if you mix it up (head A, cab B and head B with cab A) you'll get 2 different tones from the original...

It's just tweaking your tone when you're doing stuff like that, it's not always very noticable
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Last edited by poipoi at Oct 2, 2009,
Every piece of gear is going to leave some kind of tonal coloring on the end result, so you mix and match to find what ya want.

Example: I have a Mesa Boogie MKIII that can be a little harsh with single coils, so I run it out to a Marshall cab, which has a deeper, muddier sound than a Boogie cab, which tend to be more open sounding. It helps tame the Boogie's high end.

Bliss.

When I use, say, the LP, it can get a little too muddy, so I'll either run that into my Fender or use an open back cab.

Sometimes, different pieces of gear get along, sometimes they don't.
Ahhhh i see! Well thanks very much for the response. I really want a Mesa Boogie Lonestar but the price is ridiculous. There seems to be a gap. You either get £300 or less amps and then £800 or more amps...doesn't seem to be a lot inbetween...but, the spider 3 just doesn't cut it.

EDIT: I have a Bose soundsystem (which act on acoustics) so i know where you place a speaker has an effect on the tone, but, does placing my amp right up to a wall hinder the tone? Because in the shop it was in the middle of the room and sounded SO much better...
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
Ahhhh i see! Well thanks very much for the response. I really want a Mesa Boogie Lonestar but the price is ridiculous. There seems to be a gap. You either get £300 or less amps and then £800 or more amps...doesn't seem to be a lot inbetween...but, the spider 3 just doesn't cut it.

If you're thinking Lonestar, there may be cheaper alternatives.
The basic idea of the Lonestar is a juiced-up, versatile Fender Blackface Twin sound.
Fender Twin Reverb Reissues are pretty reasonable, so are used Twin Reverbs from the 70's. Those are kind of one trick ponies, though, so you might get closer with the Hot Rod series, say, the Hot Rod Deluxe 2x12.
Or go with Peavey's Classic 30 or 50.

Those are all compromises, but there's cheap deals that will get you most of the way there.

Quote by Ikonoklast

EDIT: I have a Bose soundsystem (which act on acoustics) so i know where you place a speaker has an effect on the tone, but, does placing my amp right up to a wall hinder the tone? Because in the shop it was in the middle of the room and sounded SO much better...

On an open back combo or cab, it makes a HUGE difference.

Sound waves exiting the back can hit the wall, and reflect right back to speakers. Depending on the frequency and strength, it can play serious mucky-muck with the sound. Either lay some foam against the offending wall at speaker level, angle the amp a bit, prop it back on it's tiltback legs (if equipped), ir move it closer or farther from the wall.