I was just thinking....

I've been on a quest for better tone recently, which started with a new guitar and will end with a new amp...then i got to thinking about the crazy factors that can affect your tone and it scares me...haha. So far i have:

Pick gauge.
Pick shape.
String gauge.
Bridge.
Where you pick.
How you pick.
What wood your guitar is made from.
The amp.
The amp settings.
Where your amp is.
Your cable.
The fret size.
Guitar tone knob.
Guitar volume knob.
Bolt on neck?
Neck material.
Pick-up height.
Pick-up magnets..

That's all i can think of but i'm sure i've missed things out.

Which of these would you say are most important?
I'd say the player is the most important factor
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by Ikonoklast
I was just thinking....

I've been on a quest for better tone recently, which started with a new guitar and will end with a new amp...then i got to thinking about the crazy factors that can affect your tone and it scares me...haha. So far i have:

Pick gauge.
Pick shape.
String gauge.
Bridge.
Where you pick.
How you pick.
What wood your guitar is made from.
The amp.
The amp settings.
Where your amp is.
Your cable.
The fret size.
Guitar tone knob.
Guitar volume knob.
Bolt on neck?
Neck material.
Pick-up height.
Pick-up magnets..

That's all i can think of but i'm sure i've missed things out.

Which of these would you say are most important?

What kind of guitar did you get?

Quote by rich2k4
I'd say the player is the most important factor

+1
shred is gaudy music
^PGM401.

It's LOVELY to play, and it's really bright sounding. Just my Line 6 letting me down. It doesn't let the single notes in each chord shine through, and the tones in general are either woody or muddy.
Quote by Ikonoklast
^PGM401.

It's LOVELY to play, and it's really bright sounding. Just my Line 6 letting me down. It doesn't let the single notes in each chord shine through, and the tones in general are either woody or muddy.

Ooohh.

I have to say that in terms of tone, the vaibanez guitars sound thin. Other than how you play, I would say that your tone starts there. Line 6's are rather digital sounding as well (for obvious reasons).

If I had to pick the least desirable combination of gear in terms of tones, I think a Vaibanez + line 6 about does it, though a PRS + Line6 might beat it just slightly.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 2, 2009,
Vaibanez? It's the Paul Gilbert model....but, i shall heed your advice because you do have awesome tone yourself! I actually really like Paul Gilberts tone, but it's never....warm. I don't know if i could warm it up with some kind of pedal?

His tone always seems trebly and thin to me.

If i could get a Gilbert tone with even half the warmth that Gilmour/Timmons get i'd be happy.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Vaibanez? It's the Paul Gilbert model....but, i shall heed your advice because you do have awesome tone yourself! I actually really like Paul Gilberts tone, but it's never....warm. I don't know if i could warm it up with some kind of pedal?

His tone always seems trebly and thin to me.

If i could get a Gilbert tone with even half the warmth that Gilmour/Timmons get i'd be happy.

I see those guys as all sounding more or less the same tone wise. While I appreciate their skill, I don't really care for the actual sound of their guitars. (they aren't horrible or anything, there are just other tones that I prefer much more)

After owning quite a few guitars, I've come to realize that you have to accept a guitar for what it is. Each guitar has it's own qualities.

What you have is a nice, playable guitar, but if you want a Gilmour tone out of it....it's just not going to happen. What you'll get is Vaitrianibert. Not a bad thing, if you like their sound. It is what it is.

btw, thanks for you comment on my tone. I do appreciate that.
shred is gaudy music
Oh yeah i'm never going to get a Gilmour tone out of it. For that i'm going to need a strat and a decent Marshall at a bare minimum. I can get a Gilmour-ish tone out of my Spider in the sense that it sounds similar on first hearing, but then you realise it's bodyless, soulless, hollow and robotic.

EDIT: No worries, i really really like your tone. I'm trying to get a tone all of my own though rather than trying to copy others - otherwise i'd ask what you use haha.

I don't like it when you see people on youtube and stuff that buy, say, all Paul Gilbert stuff, and just play his material all the time. To me, being a musician is about expression and finding your OWN voice. But, good tone is good tone, to me. That's what's great about it though, i can listen to someone like Gilmour, who has amazing tone (IMO), and then listen to Tremonti or Shawn Lane (sorry :P) who have awful, ear-drum-shredding tone.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
I see those guys as all sounding more or less the same tone wise. While I appreciate their skill, I don't really care for the actual sound of their guitars.

After owning quite a few guitars, I've come to realize that you have to accept a guitar for what it is. Each guitar has it's own qualities.

What you have is a nice, playable guitar, but if you want a Gilmour tone out of it....it's just not going to happen. What you'll get is Vaitrianibert. Not a bad thing, if you like their sound. It is what it is.

I agree.

Personally, I find PRS to have one of the most refined and class tone.

Wish I had the money to buy one.

Ibanez have a good tone in the mix, cause a lot of frequencies are filled up by the other instruments.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I agree.

Personally, I find PRS to have one of the most refined and class tone.

Wish I had the money to buy one.

Really?

My 2 least favorite types of guitars in terms of tone are actually Ibanez and PRS. They play well, and look nice, but in most cases, I just don't enjoy actually hearing them.

btw, no offense intended..... It's really just a matter of taste here. You're likely a bit younger and grew up listening to those guitars.

Quote by Ikonoklast
Oh yeah i'm never going to get a Gilmour tone out of it. For that i'm going to need a strat and a decent Marshall at a bare minimum. I can get a Gilmour-ish tone out of my Spider in the sense that it sounds similar on first hearing, but then you realise it's bodyless, soulless, hollow and robotic.

EDIT: No worries, i really really like your tone. I'm trying to get a tone all of my own though rather than trying to copy others - otherwise i'd ask what you use haha.

I don't like it when you see people on youtube and stuff that buy, say, all Paul Gilbert stuff, and just play his material all the time. To me, being a musician is about expression and finding your OWN voice. But, good tone is good tone, to me. That's what's great about it though, i can listen to someone like Gilmour, who has amazing tone (IMO), and then listen to Tremonti or Shawn Lane (sorry :P) who have awful, ear-drum-shredding tone.

The way I developed my tone was to listen to and learn the music I love. Just like we all speak English, but still have our own personalities & tone...... the same is true with music.
shred is gaudy music
^ agreed..(with darren!) in my opinion PRS's, combined with the right amp have the best tone on the planet, of any electric guitar.
It's all preferance, but Gibson and Fender make my favourite guitars.. i hate my Ibanez and my roommates PRS. I like tube amps aswell, tubes ftw
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 2, 2009,
Heh! I love PRS and Ibanez, i think they have excellent tone. I don't like Gibsons in general, never have, although some can sound awesome.

GuitarMunky, can i ask what gear you DO like? You're good at guitar and your guitar tone is nice so i'd like to hear your opinion...
Quote by GuitarMunky
Really?

My 2 least favorite types of guitars in terms of tone are actually Ibanez and PRS. They play well, and look nice, but in most cases, I just don't enjoy actually hearing them.

Hmmm;

PRS is a hit or miss I think for some, but I like the hi-mid crunch at around 700-800 hz If I go out on guess.

So what guitars do you play/like.

I like your tone too, but I dunno if it's ur amp or compression, but I don't entirely like your amp tone.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
How about the room you're playing in? Playing in different rooms can completely change your tone. The size, the walls, the floor etc.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Hmmm;

PRS is a hit or miss I think for some, but I like the hi-mid crunch at around 700-800 hz If I go out on guess.

So what guitars do you play/like.

I like your tone too, but I dunno if it's ur amp or compression, but I don't entirely like your amp tone.

Hang on, you can tell the difference between amp and guitar tone without knowing what his gear is? You must have some well developed ears! Wish i did. At this point i just know whether i like the overall tone or not.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Heh! I love PRS and Ibanez, i think they have excellent tone. I don't like Gibsons in general, never have, although some can sound awesome.

GuitarMunky, can i ask what gear you DO like? You're good at guitar and your guitar tone is nice so i'd like to hear your opinion...

My Favorite guitars are Gibson and Fender. Amps..... tubes (no particular fav, but I'm using Reeves amps now and like them alot).

I think what we consider to be "good tone" is directly related to the music that we've listened to and enjoyed. I grew up in a different era from you guys, so I have a different opinion of what "good tone" is. I also have alot of experience with different type of guitars, so I have opinions based on that as well.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Hmmm;

Well, I don't use compression, and most of the recordings in my profile were done with guitar rig, so no amps there. (the dorian jam, and Halenesque Riff are real amps)

The thing is ........ I like the tone I was getting, and the 1st person I try to please when playing the guitar is ....... me. I wouldn't change my tone for anyone else.
shred is gaudy music
If you're looking for good tone it really depends on what tone you're after. It's not only all of those little things but also how they play off of eachother. Good starting points though would be...

Guitars... Fenders with alder bodies for that bluesy tone, Gibson LPs for a full sound that will really show the true nature of a nice tube amp, PRSs for a very "in the middle" tone that is really diverse and warm. I mean, you can get by with almost any guitar if you have the right amp but you really need to look at how these factors intersect with eachother to get what you are looking for in the end.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Hang on, you can tell the difference between amp and guitar tone without knowing what his gear is? You must have some well developed ears! Wish i did. At this point i just know whether i like the overall tone or not.

Well, not always, but I know what an amp does for tone, and what a guitar does for tone.

Like Munky said about Ibanez;

Even if you play an Ibanez through a cornford amp, or a good old boogie, I will still hear the ibanez quality in the tone.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by GuitarMunky
My Favorite guitars are Gibson and Fender. Amps..... tubes (no particular fav, but I'm using Reeves amps now and like them alot).

yea, I've been getting more and more aware of my tone lately and getting better at hearing it. I'm now starting to not like the randall half-stack I play with my band (it's my uncle's amp, so no complaints really) but I have to fight with it almost every practice. I guess its the weather changes and such, sometimes I'll walk in and the amp sounds like I had it last time, but most of the time I come in and the tone just sounds like shit again even though everything's just like it was lol. then I'll end up messing with it during practice until I finally get it right.

I'm thinking a lot of the trouble is coming from me having to use distortion pedals because the amp has some kind of weird jack for the channel switching pedal and I don't know where the original pedal is. and the amp's distortion isn't heavy enough anyway.
I just think really good tone can make a simple riff or lick sound so much better and bigger. One of my favourite tones after a PRS are Strats, i just think they sound big and bold and warm....i quite like Tele's too..

But, digital amps are not good, but money dictates i must wait

I've been getting obsessed even down to the picks i'm using, they make a huge difference.
the player is definitely the most important part.

now here comes the bad news, you can spend forever and a day finding that perfect tone. but the real hell comes in trying to record it and reproducing it accurately
Quote by z4twenny
the player is definitely the most important part.

now here comes the bad news, you can spend forever and a day finding that perfect tone. but the real hell comes in trying to record it and reproducing it accurately

I know what you mean, but if it sounds crappy from the ground up it won't be much better recorded!

Decent amps under £1000 are rare though, imo.
^ i agree, its funny what mic placement can do to a tone. it can make a good tone sound better or like total ass. i've heard crap tones sound decent b/c of good mic placement.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i agree, its funny what mic placement can do to a tone. it can make a good tone sound better or like total ass. i've heard crap tones sound decent b/c of good mic placement.

+ 1
shred is gaudy music
My tone holds my playing back a bit.

It's so annoying when I for instance pick softly, but the digital box I use doesn't pick it up.

It picks up on so little dynamics, but my computer can't handle mic inputs, so can't use my amp.

I'm sure Munky understands how annoying that can be.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Ikonoklast
I know what you mean, but if it sounds crappy from the ground up it won't be much better recorded!

Decent amps under £1000 are rare though, imo.

I don't even have that great of an amp, a little Fender Tube.. we've got a PA system, and a nice mic for my amp, and tbh i think it sounds great.