Yes
103 44%
No, because… (on post)
107 45%
Maybe, because… (on post)
26 11%
Voters: 236.
Page 1 of 4
Seeing all these mind-spirit and emotional threads popping out, I want to ask the Pit:
Do you have a soul?

—————————————————————————————
A link for: "Soul" on Wikipedia
—————————————————————————————
The more biology discovers, the less room for soul faith.

I was the only atheist in my Christian school. I used to get so much hassle for saying I didn't believe we had a soul. Imagine a load of teenage girls being like "BUT THEN HOW DO YOU PRAISE JESUS?!?!"
i read the book Journey of Souls. it was pretty interesting. im agnostic so i take everything with a grain of salt tho. dont believe the book, but interesting nonetheless.
I do, but some bloody idiot keeps trying to destroy my horcruxes
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
you don't have a soul. You are one.

EDIT: ^
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Last edited by vanshaya at Oct 2, 2009,
No. I did for years after being indoctrinated into Catholicism as an infant. But now I think the idea is just silly and needs a painfully stupid form of logic to justify it's existance.
Quote by sixstringsteve
Yea, but I'm not a soldier.

No, I don't believe in soul, more in believing that it's a human automatism to think there is something higher that controls life or something in us that will live on forever (not for me though...)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

I got ham but i'm not a hamster
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by cam_sampbell

Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
I don't know, but some aboriginal people think drums have souls..

Take that any way you want
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
It depends on how you define a soul.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by MangoStarr
I don't know, but some aboriginal people think drums have souls..

Take that any way you want

No, I am asian.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Nope, I sold it to this dude in a black cadillac for l33t shredzing guitar skills
I'm not religious at all, but I still believe in the presence of a soul. Biology explains what we are, it takes something much deeper to explain who we are.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
Quote by Dosed.
I'm not religious at all, but I still believe in the presence of a soul. Biology explains what we are, it takes something much deeper to explain who we are.

Yea, it's called psychology.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by cam_sampbell

+7 to you
I was the only atheist in my Christian school. I used to get so much hassle for saying I didn't believe we had a soul. Imagine a load of teenage girls being like "BUT THEN HOW DO YOU PRAISE JESUS?!?!"

God (well, not really) I understand you completely.

Philosophically speaking yes and no, we do (not) have souls. It is strictly dependent on your definition. The soul that goes to the fairies in the sky? Probably not. The mind that people call "the soul"? Indeed, we also have retards among us who want to complicate things and make every one sound religious. I blame the Catholics (and the Jews just because they're easy to blame).
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
No. The soul is an archaic myth. There is no reason to believe that at some point in the transition between non living chemical elements and simple living cells to the advanced creatures we see today that a 'soul' came about somewhere. It dosn't make sense and it isn't backed up by any evidence.
reading some of these posts, I hope you guys know the concept of a soul isnt just restricted to the christian religion...
Quote by Dosed.

It's called the brain. also don't give me that 'what about the mind' BS either, the mind IS the brain because we already know enough to know certain parts of teh brain control different things and different parts of your own personality can be changed if different parts of the brain are damaged. That thing in your head is all 'YOU' are. If you get altzheimers disease then the person that you are will degrade because the brain is.
How does biology explain we don't have a soul? Wtf. If we didn't have a soul how could we love or feel?

This is a music forum, right? Correct me If I'm wrong...
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
so you ask the pit if we have a soul....thats a good question.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Goin' Mobile
How does biology explain we don't have a soul? Wtf. If we didn't have a soul how could we love or feel?

It's all in that lump of spongey stuff in your head. The emotional part of the brain is actually known (i don't know which part it is or the name but i heard it somewhere, i'm sure someone here knows the technical term) and if it's damaged then you won't feel any emotion anymore.

As i said, all the stuff to do with these complex feelings is located in the brain.
Quote by Goin' Mobile

1. (in my opinion) It's psychology. Those are emotions we feel and that have been developed over thousands and thousands of years of learning how to reason. Because we have traits that make us survive and have an edge over every other animal (maybe due to thumbs?), we have been able to survive long enough to be able to reason with eachother. Which is why animals can't feel (or, at least, show no true signs of) the emotions you listed

2. This is the Pit, not necessarily a music forum
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Oct 3, 2009,
everyone posts as if we knew everything in the world. Our senses are limited, we know nothing compared to the grand vastness and complexities of the universe and never will.
No. Occam's razor.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I sold my soul for £20. It didn't affect me much, except now I'm in Westlife.

seriously? souls aren't real. Don't be a silly billy.
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Quote by Myfirstpubes
everyone posts as if we knew everything in the world. Our senses are limited, we know nothing compared to the grand vastness and complexities of the universe and never will.

This.

I don't think I'm important at all. As humans we tend take ourselves too seriously and think we are all knowing and powerful. There are so many stars and universes that are lightyears away yet we tend to trust science for everything and give us an explanation.

Now that I think of it, science made us lose or souls.

Ok, now this thread is gonna get into aliens and stuff
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Quote by Myfirstpubes

This could all be a dream. You could be god and not know it.

Blah blah blah, it's redundant to consider this stuff at any serious level. We can only rely on our senses because that's ALL WE HAVE to rely on. That is no excuse for the belief in illogical myths because if it isn't backed up by evidence (and has been looked into and explained by better means) then what is the point?
Quote by Myfirstpubes
thanks, moonbeam. We're on a rock spinning about in a mostly empty universe. that's it, soz.
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Quote by Myfirstpubes

So we have souls because we can't prove we don't.

From now on, every woman you've never seen naked has a penis because you can't prove she can't.

Have fun!
Quote by Goin' Mobile
This.

I don't think I'm important at all. As humans we tend take ourselves too seriously and think we are all knowing and powerful. There are so many stars and universes that are lightyears away yet we tend to trust science for everything and give us an explanation.

Now that I think of it, science made us lose or souls.

Ok, now this thread is gonna get into aliens and stuff

Realistically speaking, by what method other than science are we going to attain knowledge?
The vastness, complexity, and beauty of the universe hardly need to be invoked for us to realize that there are some major problems with the idea of an immortal, non tangible soul. It brings to mind when Art Bell tried to justify ESP type phenomenon on Coast to Coast AM by saying that there are lots of things we don't know about quantum theory, therefore we shouldn't rule anything out.

It's silly.
Page 1 of 4