Page 1 of 2
I hate to say it, because I would have loved to have them in Chi-town, but it was probably the right call. Rio is a great place for the Olympics.
Death to Ovation haters!
Having the Olympics in Chicago would have been terrible for the city and the people that live here, I'm glad Rio got it.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Seems like a good city to have it in. No doubt it will do better than the London olympics.
I'll bet they'll do it twice as well as London is probably going to do it...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
good to see mr. PR finally lost one. im not an obama hater, i just think his PR campaign is unrivaled by any1 in recent US history. i mean he has the, "whats not to like about the guy" thing goin on, and simpleminded folk really actually care about PR alot. hes seem to have won every pr battle hes been in, from the wheelchair joke on letterman, to the school speech, etc.

bringing the Olympics to Chicago would have been a trainwreck anyway. whats in Chicago? thats like the worst example of sports ever with the Cubs.
Well, I don't think their handover ceremony will be great, just pictures of a football being kicked around in a favela.

On a more serious note, whats the security like for tourists in Brazil?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
this is an excellent idea, this will make them clean up rio, seeing as how much of a ****hole it is. Hopefully they'll also put all the rio children kids somewhere better ( and not kill them ).
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by Pure_Morning
Well, I don't think their handover ceremony will be great, just pictures of a football being kicked around in a favela.

On a more serious note, whats the security like for tourists in Brazil?

I imagine it'll depend heavily on the area of the city but there will definatly be issues.

They do have 7 years to deal with everything though.
Quote by TSmitty6
good to see mr. PR finally lost one. im not an obama hater, i just think his PR campaign is unrivaled by any1 in recent US history. i mean he has the, "whats not to like about the guy" thing goin on, and simpleminded folk really actually care about PR alot. hes seem to have won every pr battle hes been in, from the wheelchair joke on letterman, to the school speech, etc.

bringing the Olympics to Chicago would have been a trainwreck anyway. whats in Chicago? thats like the worst example of sports ever with the Cubs.

Well, yeah, that's why there's the White Sox.

I'm kinda mad that they didn't get to have them in Chicago.
Surprise surprise.

I'm sure the shanty towns will be moved even further away to ensure the dignitaries don't have to get their hands dirty..
Quote by Don_Humpador
Surprise surprise.

I'm sure the shanty towns will be moved even further away to ensure the dignitaries don't have to get their hands dirty..

+1
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Pretty good idea I guess.

Brazil can be dangerous though. Security will be a pretty big issue. Not that it isn't anyway, but with the high crime rates in Brazil it will be even more important.
I'm happy that Rio got it, especially after hearing that the Olympic village will be turned into affordable housing after the Olympics are over.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I'm happy that Rio got it, especially after hearing that the Olympic village will be turned into affordable housing after the Olympics are over.

Guess who gets the housings...
Quote by The_Casinator
Guess who gets the housings...
No idea. Brazilians?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
BEIJING WELCOMES YOU!!!
??.. whait, wait.
That wasn´t supposed to be...

Yeah, RIO!
I doubt south america has money to build stadiums ´nd stuff.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
You think Rio will be dangerous? I have a feeling that the World Cup in South Africa will be worse, what with the 50 murders a day in Jo'burg. It'll get even better when the fans from England and Holland decide to go and give any Germans a good kicking like they do everytime
thats bull****. Rio can barely afford to keep its population above the poverty line, and they think they can fund the Olympic games?

they will never pay off the debt
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
It's a great setting in theory, and I'm sure it will be helpful towards sorting out Rio, but as previously mentioned, the security is the main issue...I can see something bad happening with all the gangs and dodgy police. Also, what happens if they don't get it ready in time or run out of money or something?
Quote by poopsmith666
thats bull****. Rio can barely afford to keep its population above the poverty line

It hasn't even got the money to do that.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread
It hasn't even got the money to do that.

yeah exactly

I don't think too much good can come of this for Rio unless they get some sort of like maddd sponsorship from companies or other countries of billionaires
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

Quote by poopsmith666
yeah exactly

I don't think too much good can come of this for Rio unless they get some sort of like maddd sponsorship from companies or other countries of billionaires

Which they will get to be perfectly honest. Corporations and companies pay a fortune to asvertise at the Olympics. If the money generated through that outweighs the cost of pulling it off then it could do Rio some good. Plus with the Olympics coming the Brazillian government should hopefully be more motivated to improve the lives of its poorer citizens even if it is only to put on a good face for the world.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Rubbish idea, the money that brazil is using to fund this could go to much much worthier causes. Its the same with the Football World Cup in South Africa.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by TEK34
I quite like this, I was rooting for Tokyo though, seemed to be the best suited for the games.

Tokyo's crowded enough already, trust me

and pwnerer, yeah thats what i think, they have way better things to spend billions on than a one off sporting event, even one like the olympics
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

Quote by pwnerer
So Brazil is gonna spend a gazillion trillion on the Olympics in Rio, while the biggest (?) slum in the world is still growing in their backyard... Hmmm....
It could help as in giving people jobs who need them, and stimulate their economy.

Or it could make everything worse.

I'm rooting for the first part.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
It could help as in giving people jobs who need them, and stimulate their economy.

Or it could make everything worse.

I'm rooting for the first part.

Sure, but with the money the will potentially spend on the olympics, the could instead spend it on a much more effective way of stimulating the economy.
Quote by pwnerer
Sure, but with the money the will potentially spend on the olympics, the could instead spend it on a much more effective way of stimulating the economy.

They could yes but I bet they wouldn't. Even though the Olympics will motivate them to spend money for the wrong reasons, they will hopefully still be spending money on benefiting the sizable slice of their population that lives in poverty.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by wesselbindt

They got ****ed over hard. Everyone knows the world will have ended by then.

your post looks like a long skinny dick with laughing green balls
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

Quote by illuminatiano
this is an excellent idea, this will make them clean up rio, seeing as how much of a ****hole it is. Hopefully they'll also put all the rio children kids somewhere better ( and not kill them ).

I agree. I could be a positive step for Rio.
¯|(°_o)/¯
everyone is saying they wont have the money to build the stadiums and what not...with the olympics there it will bring in a rediculous amounts of tourists, a GREAT chance for them to help there economy.
Quote by SunDrop
everyone is saying they wont have the money to build the stadiums and what not...with the olympics there it will bring in a rediculous amounts of tourists, a GREAT chance for them to help there economy.

If you think about it though it will really just be a one month stimulus. Then everything goes back to normal.

I mean the construction and stuff will provide some jobs over the next 6 years or so. But it is only a short term situation. After the Olympics things will go back to normal and Rio will have a bunch of useless stadiums.
Page 1 of 2