So I have a gig tomorrow (playing at a friend's party) and I'm on vacation right now, coming back tomorrow morning. My electric guitar is sitting at home, strings surely collecting rust, and they were already a bit old when I left last week.

My question is: Should I changes my strings when I get home tomorrow (same day as gig) and risk them getting out of tune and not being broken in, or just try to somehow clean my old strings? (Is there any way to do that?)
I hate my sig
I'd change them, but make sure to stretch them as much as possible before tuning up, and be sure to take spares in case.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Change 'em and just play for an hour or two. They'll be settled in fine by then.
Really depends on your guitar. If you usually experience a lot of problems with strings staying in tune after re-stringing, then I wouldn't do it. Would agree with posts above. Stretch them out very well if you do. A tremelo is definitely going to give you more fits if you're restringing the same day. But again, I would say it depends on your guitar. I've re-strung my Paul Reed Smith (with tremolo) the day before or day of a show and had very little problems. A buddy of mine used to try to restring his Gibson Les Paul (no tremolo) the day of a show and fight intonation the entire night.
It is non-tremolo. It just seems like a pain. I'll have to see how bad they feel when I get home. And how much time I have before the party. I never like to change strings last minute.

Is there any way to like clean the rust off other than just scraping it off? I just need them to be playable, I don't care if they dont sound incredibly bright and new
I hate my sig
Restring, stretch, tune, stretch, tune, stretch harder, tune twice.
Tune 5 minutes before the gig.
Quote by Fiire
Restring, stretch, tune, stretch, tune, stretch harder, tune twice.
Tune 5 minutes before the gig.

This is about what I would do... Generally with a fixed bridge you can get them to settle in pretty quick. I would be conscious of tuning throughout the whole show though...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ Terrible, terrible idea.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
dip strings in WD 40?

yea!!! and then rub them with steel wool and set them on fire! that'll do the trick!
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
yea!!! and then rub them with steel wool and set them on fire! that'll do the trick!

That actually would be the way to do it, if you were dead set on WD-40ing them (which is stupid to begin with.) But the WD-40 would loosen the rust/dirt, and the wool would remove it, then the fire would remove the WD-40... But I'd rather replace the strings than do all that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
That actually would be the way to do it, if you were dead set on WD-40ing them (which is stupid to begin with.) But the WD-40 would loosen the rust/dirt, and the wool would remove it, then the fire would remove the WD-40... But I'd rather replace the strings than do all that.

Yea and i'd risk catching my guitar on fire. Which could be a good thing.....

But I'll probably try just rubbing them down with a washcloth or something....or just change them. lol
I hate my sig
^Probably best...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Play it for a while until rust is no longer TOO stiff. Then use the cloth. (I've tried cleaning strings too wet and nothing comes out and too stiff just ****s the fabric.)