-------------------------------------------------------|
-----4-----4--------4-----4--------4-------------------|
---------------2---------------2---------2-------------|

I thought this was what an octave was (bulls on parade - RATM)

But then also I was looking at the gp5 tabs for "For Absent friends" by Opeth, and apparently

e-----7-----
B-----------
G-----4-----

Is an octave as well?

Shouldn't the octave be

e-----6-----
B----------
G-----4-----

This is news to me.. I thought all octaves were just like the traditional position in the 1st one. Why is it different here? Which strings are they like this on?
the G to B interval is different. therefor the octave has to be one fret up.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
count the notes down the e string. 4th fret on G is a B. 7th, not 6th fret on the e is the B. it just happens that way cause there is no B or E #.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
The B string is tuned to the 4th fret on the G string and as such, the treble E string below it is acutally tuned to the 9th fret of the G string unlike the above strings. (i.e the D string is the same note as the 10th fret of the bass E.)
Apparently, the only method of tuning a guitar you've ever learned is to tune each string with the tuner...

1 = high e (thinnest string)
2 = B
3 = G
4 = D
5 = A
6 = E (thickest string)..

6th string 5th fret is same note as 5th string Open
5th string 5th fret is same note as 4th string Open
4th string 5th fret is same note as 3rd string Open
3rd string 4th fret is same note as 2nd string Open
2nd string 5th fret is same note as 1st string Open

That should help you figure it out.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
To be awkward, there no E# or B#. So it will move things like that out of place by one. If that makes slight sense?
Bands I've Seen

Robert Randolph and The Family Band
Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Eric Clapton (At the Royal Albert Hall ;D)
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck (at the O2 arena ;D)
The Bootleg Beatles
the G-B interval is a major third instead of a fourth, meaning that thee second note of an interval is fingered one fret higher than on other strings. Since the e is a fourth from the B it means that when playing an interval with the low note on the G you also need to add one fret.
Low E octaves

D-4
A-
E-2

A octave

G-4
D-
A-2

D octave

B-5
G-
D-2

G octave

E-5
B-
G-2

This is the way how you form octaves in standard half step, Whole step, 2 Half steps .... Tunings.

Why does it happen?

Well it kinda hard for me to explain but look on the way you tune your guitar.
for the purposes of the full barre chord, the intervals on the guitar are not even all the way across the strings: e to a is 5 semitones, a to d is 5 semitones, d to g is 5 semitones, g to b is FOUR semitones, and b to e is 5 semitones again. Therefore when playing octave chords on the d and b string or the g and e string you need to adjust the higher stringed not up by one semi tone. tray playing it in the normal position and it will sound very dissonant, because note one semitone apart will oscillate strongly then play it in the proper position and is will sound full and clear, with little to no oscillation, because they are the same note.
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
The G string isn't a 4th (I think) away from the previous string like all the other strings are.

Standard lute tuning is EADF#BE, where all the strings are a 4th apart. Which means the octave is also 4-6 but because you're playing in a Standard guitar tuning your 3rd string is tuned half a step up to G. If you tune to E Standard and play the same thing it's not in the same key, it's a half a step up, meaining 4-6 is actually a major 7th interval, half a step from being an octave. Move up the interval a half step and you get an entire octave, which is played 4-7.

This is only how I understand it to be, I could be wrong.