Page 1 of 2
Now, i've been on a mission to start a band together.. for, well years now. I've gone through so many different line ups, and musicians.

Theres so many ****ing guitar players, honestly.. it's just pathetic. I live in Austin, where everyone comes with their guitar under the impression they're going to be the next big singer/songwritter/guitar god. Then they come and realize, there aren't half, or even 1/3 the bassists and drummers as there are guitarists

I used to cary the guitarist ego with me, always thought I was just meant to play the guitar and that I was above playing other instruments.. while i have still improved on the guitar, i'm fed up with it.

Do you think you're too good to play bass? Most likely 9/10 people reading this play guitar, i've just started playing bass seriously, 6 months ago. I've got 5 shows lined up this week, all paying.. picking up the bass was the smartest thing ive done in a long time, i can charge people to make me show up for a practice.. it's in demand, honestly.. I don't feel like anybody should ONLY play guitar, that's everyones instrument, pick something else up.. keys, drums, bass, the music world needs this to happen. So, UG.. play that bass!
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 2, 2009,
i play guitar mainly, but ive also self taught myself bass, piano, and a little drums. if i had the room id get a drum set and take lessons.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I agree. I've been trying to pick up playing the mandolin because who can say no to heavy metal mandolin
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
that's everyones instrument, pick something else up.. keys, drums, bass, the music world needs this to happen. So, UG.. play that bass!

I can play all of those.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I play them for the love of the instruments not because no one else is playing them.
I love playing bass. I think if I was to join another band I'd probably rather play bass, just because of the groove...
I've played guitar for 20 years and I've played guitar, bass, drums and I've done vocals for different bands at different times. Its a great idea to learn other instruments. It gives you a better perspective of the songwriting and performing process... and its fun.
I play guitar and as soon as i get space for a drum kit, im having one. I effing love drums and i play them as much as i can. Our drummer doesnt like it so much at band practice cos he can only play a little bass lol
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
guitar is my primary instrument simply because I like more, not because I think I'm "too good" to play another instrument. In fact, I enjoy playing bass as well, but it won't ever be my favorite instrument, just because I happen to like guitar better.

And anyways, in my area there aren't very many metal guitarists that are any good, so it's not that bad. most everything around here is country or butt-rock.
i can play a good chunk of those instruments myself. i wouldn't say i'm too good to play any kind of instrument. in fact, i've shown up some bassists before and thats not even my primary instrument. that being said, i do prefer my guitar over bass, but at the same time some bass awesomeness is called for.
Yeah, really really good bass players are hard to find anywhere I'm guessing. I've been playing guitar for 20+ years and started playing bass this past year just simply because I wanted to do some recording and wanted to learn the instrument. I also started taking piano lessons (again to be able to additional instruments to recording) this past year and I can throw down on Michael Row The Boat Ashore
I've noticed this, too. I don't know what to do about it.

I am actually interested in bass and drums. Drums are a bit unrealistic for me at the moment, but I think I will eventually buy a bass guitar. The thing is, I can't imagine myself playing bass in a band.

I guess in the end, abandonning the guitar for another instrument depends on whether your desire to play in a band overpowers your desire to play your favourite instrument.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 2, 2009,
I could probably scrape through in a band on the drums, I'm decent at them I suppose, it's just that I haven't practised them in a bit so I don't have the endurance.

I could probably scrape through on bass too.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Im a guitarist who can play other instruments but i stick to guitar mainly.
You can't just assume that there's a dime a dozen guitr players out there who are all looking to be the next big thing. Some people have different styles and some people have the same opinion of you bassists.
Think about it.

-jared
P.S. this message wasn't just to be a dick
I live in Austin as well, and I also play guitar, and you're absolutely right, everyone and they're unborn child plays guitar here. There are a lot of problems with the music scene here, someone put it pretty well one time: "Its GREAT to be a musician from Austin, so long as you're not playing in Austin." I know how to play bass, as its the instrument I started on, and I'm working on learning keys and drums, to be a great musician its always good to be well rounded. Plus a lot of my guitar idols are actually multi-instrumentalists (i.e. Jonny Greenwood, Steven Drozd, Warren Ellis etc.) You're right in saying that too many people call themselves guitar players here when they're really hobbyists at most, but a real problem I see in Austin in diversity. If we want to make this a real music central city then we need to do something about 90% of bands being either Straight Punk or Metal or Blues Rock. I see the same band under a thousand names when i play out here...
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
i play drums in my band. i cn also play keys and guitar.
alot of MTer's play multiple instruments.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I've wanted to pick up Bass for some time now but haven't had the money, I'm debating downtuning a guitar and learning basslines on it. Since I know no bassists that want to play the same style of music as mio and my guitarist.

Thoughts?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
I play guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard. I'm most proficient at guitar and bass though, so that's what I stick to. It's not a matter of "I was meant to play this" but rather "I'm better at playing this so that's what I play".

I'm considering finding a place as a bassist, it seems there are too many who are egotistical pricks too, and I'm getting tired of my guitar skills getting me jobs with these sub par pieces of **** whom think they are the next rock gods just because I can play the blues pentatonic fast and can right hand hammer-on using multiple fingers and use a whammy bar for more than just dive bombs. I just want to play out locally, I don't give a **** about being a rockstar. If I did, I would have sold my guitar long ago.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
i only play guiitar but i wudnt mind learn drums , just to beat the f**k out of something and keys would be cool but for now , its guitar untill i get paid more
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Quote by klysandral
I live in Austin as well, and I also play guitar, and you're absolutely right, everyone and they're unborn child plays guitar here. There are a lot of problems with the music scene here, someone put it pretty well one time: "Its GREAT to be a musician from Austin, so long as you're not playing in Austin." I know how to play bass, as its the instrument I started on, and I'm working on learning keys and drums, to be a great musician its always good to be well rounded. Plus a lot of my guitar idols are actually multi-instrumentalists (i.e. Jonny Greenwood, Steven Drozd, Warren Ellis etc.) You're right in saying that too many people call themselves guitar players here when they're really hobbyists at most, but a real problem I see in Austin in diversity. If we want to make this a real music central city then we need to do something about 90% of bands being either Straight Punk or Metal or Blues Rock. I see the same band under a thousand names when i play out here...

If you want to jam sometime we have an open jam house, pretty much people jamming every day, PM me
You see, I have the exact opposite problem. I play bass, and I know far more bass players than guitar players, and the guitar players I do know don't like the same genres that I do. I'm thinking of taking up drums as a 2nd instrument, as I hardly know anyone who plays them.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
I would play bass, drums, piano and sax, if I could. But just strings for my guitars keeps me broke.

One day, I will learn them all.
I'd gladly play any instrument, guitar just happened to reach me first when I started really getting into music.
Ok guitar is a great instrument.. most don't understand the skill it takes to master the other ones either..

I myself am a guitarist.. I am no where near the great but am better then most who try to show off some chord progressions they don't even know the name of.

Now I love the guitar and feel it's my way of expressing myself musically... If i want to collaborate with others in a band I would expect to play it.

I understand that most bands need compromise but I think you shouldn't sacrifice your best players to fill a void in the band...

Say you have 3 guitarists and the singer is the less capable. Id wan't him on bass.. But I shouldn't make him... if the band doesn't want you doing what you want... don't even join..

but if you can do more then play guitar and still feel expressive try to compromise...

Even though I can play bass or drums I don't want to do those things... 1 because I love guitar more. and 2 because I don't want to fill a spot where someone better could fill... especially if thats the only available position..

sorry I lost my thought... aha anyways to sum it up - you are always going to have people be one of the greatest spots... just like in sports and video games... just how it is... but if they enjoy it who are you to tell him to change...

EDIT: another thought - there are only a handfull of those few drummers/bass players that can actually play so....

if you love bass only because you would be in demand then you need to rethink your music goals/priorities... Money is great but bass is much more then a rare spot to fill in the band.
Last edited by ehlert99 at Oct 2, 2009,
I am mainly a guitarist, but from guitar theory and music theory I am capiable on piano/keyboards, Violin, Mandolin (basicly stringed instruments providing I know the order of tuning)

And surprisingly for a guitar player, I wouldnt say I could play bass, Its not really my thing. Im not saying I think guitar is harder and I think im too good for bass, but rather I have been playing guitar for long enough now that I would treat bass like a standard guitar rather than how a proper experianced bass player would play it.
The original post is half true. There are a lot of guitarists, but in my experience there are just as many decent drummers and bassists as there are decent guitarists/songwriters. I'm adding songwriters at the end, just because there are plenty of people who can play covers, but really make and play originals is a lot less.
I play guitar because I like playing guitar. who the **** are you to tell me what to do?

I actually joined a band playing bass just after I started playing guitar so I essentially learnt them alongside each other. Now I hardly play my bass. you know why?

because I don't get the urge to play bass. it's that simple.

I learnt to play piano as a child. guess how often I get the urge to play it?

about as often as people describe bill o'reilly as intelligent.

I play music (more specifically, guitar) because I enjoy it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I honestly consider myself a musician more than I consider myself a guitarist. I play clarinet, guitar, and keys. I'll also play a bass, a synth, I'll attempt chromatic percussion (haven't tried it in an actual band setup). Prettymuch, because I've learned the layout of a piano and guitar, and know a basic amount of theory. I'll attempt to play whatever you throw at me... if it's a wind instrument or brass I've never tried before, I'd have some difficulty....especially brass.

However, I do enjoy playing guitar more than anything else, but I do have a song in writing that doesn't have any guitar in it, but rather piano and voice. Guitar is my main instrument so to say, but it doesn't mean I can't play others.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Started as drums, then bass, then guitar.
Now i play banjo and mandolin
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by sashki
I've noticed this, too. I don't know what to do about it.

I am actually interested in bass and drums. Drums are a bit unrealistic for me at the moment, but I think I will eventually buy a bass guitar. The thing is, I can't imagine myself playing bass in a band.

I guess in the end, abandonning the guitar for another instrument depends on whether your desire to play in a band overpowers your desire to play your favourite instrument.

this. imo... idk, i think i'd rather not be in a band than the play the bass (yeesh!).

Lil' Mac: you hav the coolest avatar EVER!
I've played guitar for 4 years and it still not annoying me, but i m learning to play bass too cause it's funny and it's a good way to improve my hearing and songwriting skills.
anyway bass guitar at low-mid level it s really easy compared to guitar, so i was thinking to get a second band as a bassist.
Last edited by rainboworiginal at Oct 3, 2009,
Hey guys, I've been considering picking up a bass guitar for some time now, the only thing is that I have already invested a lot of time and money in guitar equiptment. If I were to buy a bass, I'm not sure if I should get a cheap one to see if I will stick with it, or go right for a higher quality one that I won't need to replace if I decide to continue...tough decision right?

Anyways, I also have a nice keyboard kickin around that I mess around with but have never actually practiced anything with it, since I don't really know where to start learning or how to practice technique properly and whatnot.

Also, I have been stopping myself from trying out other instruments because I think I would be better off investing the time in guitar. You know, like, I could be decent in two or three instruments, or very good at one, and I would prefer to be very good at one. Do you think this is true, or should I actually get into bass or keyboard?
I play mainly bass. I find it annoying when guitarists, after having come to the same conclusion as you, decide to pick up bass, and assume they can play it just fine because its "the same thing as a guitar", and end up having no idea how to write anything on bass that sounds good (read: not just root notes or following the rhythm guitarist).
Page 1 of 2