One of the two bands I'm in has been an off/on headache when it comes to self-image. Basically put, it seems not all of us care so much.......(ie ME)

Our Band, "xxxxxx" will be playing ALL Original LIVE Music this Saturday, October 3rd at (put place here). We go on at 1...0 PM! No Cover Charge. We are like Malt O' Meal, We are like Soup, we are like nothing bad, we are good for you! We will define the next musical revolution out of the Pacific Northwest!

GRRRRR, that level of pretentiousness makes me mad. I'm already threatening to quit, and probably will if this keeps up. Am I wrong in thinking this sounds super pretentious.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Sorry, I didn't think it was as pretentious, as it was funny. I guess that's not the reaction I was supposed to have. A Malt-O-Meal and soup comparison? Yikes. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.
Seems more cheesy than pretentious to me. The part about the new musical revolution does seem pretentious, though, unless you're actually doing something revolutionary.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
You can't force a music revolution... they just come with time... you either help it along or don't... you can't make it happen though... otherwise you come off as a poser.
Quote by ehlert99
You can't force a music revolution... they just come with time... you either help it along or don't... you can't make it happen though... otherwise you come off as a poser.

That's exactly why I made this thread, because I was wondering if there's something I missed by this. My bassist has been acting like an idiot with an over-inflated ego lately, and it's getting on my last nerve. I'm starting to seriously consider working in my other band and just leaving this one. Too much of this "Revolution" bull****. He's been on this since we tried to hire a new singer months ago (and resultantly drew all the wrong people, though he fails to see that).
My Current Mains
Poor, unfunny, rambling and pretentious. Every band in the universe thinks they're different and 'revolutionary'.
Write one yourself and keep it bold, simple (all the facts clearly visible).

This Saturday (October 3rd), XXXX will be a playing a high-octane set of top quality rock at [venue name].
LIVE, LOUD and totally original. Doors open 12:30PM, free entry. www.myspace.com/XXXX
Personally, that's not what I'd write but I've tried to stay consistent with your band's style whilst being a little more subdued. If you hide the crucial bits (place, time, date) within a wall of unfunny jokes you're not going to get very far.

Here's one I did recently for my own band. I've always said it's fine to take the piss as long as there's a bit of self-depreciation going on...

Funnier than Live Aid, more epic than The Chuckle Brothers - Live, and shorter than War And Peace, it's the music event without compare! On Sunday 11th October, Asparagus Now return to the Limelight Club. So burn those skinny jeans, and dig out a pair of flares!

Loud, unpredictable, and smelling faintly of whisky, Asparagus Now take rock music very seriously indeed...

Doors open 8.30PM and entry is completely FREE.
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
That's exactly why I made this thread, because I was wondering if there's something I missed by this. My bassist has been acting like an idiot with an over-inflated ego lately, and it's getting on my last nerve. I'm starting to seriously consider working in my other band and just leaving this one. Too much of this "Revolution" bull****. He's been on this since we tried to hire a new singer months ago (and resultantly drew all the wrong people, though he fails to see that).

WOAH! Bassist with an EGO!?!?!

...where's that damn red "emergency" phone?
its fine?

except the jokes sound a little too much like 'in jokes'.. I know they're not, but that's kinda how they sound. The revolution thing is a bit eww...

compare yourself to some well-known bands and make A joke (not 3 or 4). People don't want too much **** in the way of where you are, who you are, what time, and the cost.
I may be the only one that doesnt see the harm. But Im just free wheeled I suppose. Whenever I read something like that I just laugh, a small chuckle usually, as I always assume that its a joke, intended to make the reader smile a bit perhaps?

Its ok though, I can see why you would be upset. you could always add a line like "The very best Top Ramen induced rock without the indigestion! Doors open at 8:00!"

Just let the "Band Member/Promoter" know that your not cool with the current state of self promotion.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
That's pretty much what I've done. Hopefully this will be the last time. I'm a little bothered by it because some of the "less humorous" among us have given me a ton of issue about it, and it grates on my nerves because I can see how someone WOULD take it that way easily as I'm not a very freewheeled person.
My Current Mains
I think it's fine if they're just saying that to catch people's attention rather than because they actually believe it, but then again, the higher you raise the audience's expectations, the greater their disappointment will be.
I don't think anyone who would consider or be the type to go to a live show would take anyone seriously with something the has the words 'music revolution' in it. It's such a grandiose aspiration for a band they have never heard is almost jovial. I wouldn't take it seriously.however things like ' we're the best band of the night ' or ' best rock in town ' is something that might actually be true. Pretentious and humor are differentiated by the odds it will happen in reality. I myself prefer a visual experience in a flier and would put as little witty quips in the description as possible to lend to the mystery. There is more of a chance they will be curious and look at your myspace if they haven't accidently been put off by something they thought was stupid and you thought was hilarious in the description
Last edited by JackFlash19 at Oct 4, 2009,
...and now, a word from Jack Black:

"**** you! You ****in' DICK! You're always stiffling my creativity! Let's see you try to come up with something like inward singing!"
Well, it was changed. The whole reason I take issue with this is kind of a long story that's hard to consolidate, but I'll try....

My bassist started posting this on your ad for singers, looking for a "rockstar singer". I initially did not see anything wrong, since I knew that was HIS type of sense of humor. About a week into posting that we were looking for a rockstar singer who's looking to be the next revolution in the pacific northwest, fights started to break out online about this dumb crap. Now, it is there that I took a step back from the ad and looked at it from someone else's shoes, and found it could mean funny, or it could mean "we're a bunch of pretentious assholes who think we are better than we really are". So I asked him to change it. It really hurt our chances with finding a singer, that much is for sure. So me and him had a little talk and I thought all was well....

Then I see the aforementioned article on Facebook last week. I've since gotten it changed.

I brought it over here because I was starting to get flack for it again after an ad for a gig this past Saturday on Facebook my bassist put out again....and I stupidly copied and pasted it without reading the whole thing (my problem). Now, I get back on there, post my own ad, and he posted a new one without it after I took issue on it once again. So it seems people have figured out what was going on.

The thread has pretty much confirmed to me that what me, and a few other people, including those around the band and those I'm in other bands with thought, which is that it came of as kind of pretentious. It's easier to get advice from people I don't know, keeps the problems down.
My Current Mains