http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-hEyVQDRA
I'm tring to learn the solo for my GCSE course work, but how the bugger do I make that sound at 5:52 - 5:55 ish? Guitar Pro 5 says something I don't understand, like Kirk somehow got a very high D# by slamming the E string down or something to that effect.. But I dunno what that means .. I only have a 22 fret guitar, how would I go about getting that sound? Or if anyone knows, how did Kirk get that sound?
That would be a natural harmonic. Strike the string between the right next to the 4th fret on the G or B string I think and change pitches with the whammy bar. If you don't have one, try doing a pinch harmonic and bending as much as you can (without breaking the string).
just do some pinch harmonics and bends and add your own touch to the solo.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
just do some pinch harmonics and bends and add your own touch to the solo.

this
The real way stats to bend the string downward so it goes off the fretboard.

The string hits the fret on the side and creates this high pitched noise.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
thats a pinch harmonic on the 19th (top of my head) fret of the e string and he pulls up the whammy bar and plays with it a bit.

If im not mistaking there a nice lick library youtube video of it with a guys explaining it.
All Hail the Mighty Mastodon

Hail them now, hail them good, hail them just like you should. My neck my back uuuuuuhhhh just like that.. .. .. wat?
Not bein funny....

Theres an urban legend that says the note was an accidental. Is there any truth to it?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 2, 2009,
or, you could whammy without a whammy bar
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Not bein funny....

Theres an urban legend that says the note was an accidental. It there any truth to it.

this is true. KH admitted it in an interview for Guitar World.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Kirk Hammett: I used a Mesa-Boogie Mark 2C amp and a black Randy Rhoads custom Jackson guitar. For the four-bar fill at the beginning of the song, the rest of the guys wanted something high and screeching, but I came up with something a bit more percussive and riff-like, a flatted fifth-type figure. I got this real raunchy, over distorted sound which clashed well with the tight rythm sound James had. James played the first solo in that song, which is a great solo. I worked on the next solo for a couple of days - getting it tight was a real task for me. While recording the track, my hand accidently pulled a string off the neck, and it grounded on the neck pick-up, giving me something like a high D. It sounded like I slid up to a super high note that isn't even on the neck, so we left it. For the next solo we used backwards guitar parts. To get them I played a bunch of guitar parts that were in the same key as the song and laid them down on quarter-inch tape. Then we flipped the tape over and edited it, so we had two or three minutes of backwards guitar. We put it in the last verse of the song.

Taken from http://www.encycmet.com/songs/smmop.shtml
You might not be able to recreate it. Kirk himself can't do it.
He plays some pinch harmonics with bends at that part live.

So, just play some pinch harmonics.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
its like a mystery that remains unsolved !!no matter wht i have tried , its not exact like the album version
Quote by COBHC912
its like a mystery that remains unsolved !!no matter wht i have tried , its not exact like the album version

Its not a mystery, its well documented as above with Kirk himself telling what happened.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3