When you (for example) boost an Laney VC30, which is Brithish voiced, with an OD- does it still sound British voiced? Does it still have the "character" of the amp just with more gain? Or is it a mixture of the amps tone and the pedals tone?
Thanks for answers
I'm pretty sure it would still sound british. Just a tighter, heavier and depending on the pedal settings slightly different coloured tone
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Oct 2, 2009,
the pedal would drive most of the tone, but you still get the feel from the amp - so a little of both

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Depends.

'Transparent' ODs are designed to not color 'change' your tone or change it as little as possible. Some tubescreamers are like that, Danelectro Transparent OD, Digitech Bad Monkey, are like that.

Others like an Fulltone OCD or MI Audio Crunch Box do add tone color.

Also, for using these pedals as a boost only, you can turn the 'gain' all the way down, and the level to taste as well as the 'Tone' knobs to taste.

that is my .311 cents
It all depends on the pedal.
I can get all sorts of tones with my pedals through my VC-30.
404: Sig not found.
A pedal is not going to change the voicing of an amp, no matter what you do.

Depending on the OD, it will add certain sonic characteristics, most will add a bit of mids, but for the most part, it will just build on the amp's tone, not completely change it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I second what 311 says on this, some ODs are transparent enough that you really retain the same sound, just more gain, but others can really have a pretty huge effect on your tone, especially those amp in a box kind of pedals, they can really cover the natural voice of your amp with their own sound.
what about ODs with a tube in it? Do they change the character of the amp because of the tube?
Last edited by PapaSchumpf at Oct 2, 2009,
^my guess is no. I'm thinking there is more emphasis on the circuitry, components and power tubes when it comes to 'character' of an amp, not a preamp tube in a pedal.

never played one tho, like a Hughes & Kettner tube factor so...
Quote by PapaSchumpf
what about ODs with a tube in it? Do they change the character of the amp because of the tube?

yes and no. if you use, say, a radial tonebone classic or a maxon true tube, the pedal itself will have (1) more harmonic content than a run-of-the-mill ts-type, and (2) will have it's own eq characteristics. That said, the pedal, with the same settings, will not sound the same through a dual rec as it will through a jcm800, for example.

it's important to remember that frequencies are cumulative. so, if your amp is pushing hard mids, like a typical british-voiced amp, and you throw a pedal infront of it that's known for a mid boost, expect to have to turn down the mids on either the pedal (if that's an option on your model) or the amp.
To clear a few things up, a pedal can heavily affect the tone of an amp, but the 'voicing' (a term that's thrown around a lot, but it basically means the circuit and components the amp designer has chosen to achieve a particular sound) remains the same. The sound is then further influenced by the speaker you choose to run it into.

Either way, giving names to different voicings is usually gross generalisation; every design sounds pretty different.
When we say 'British' we really mean any amp with a strong midrange, chimey highs and natural compression while 'American', broadly speaking, means scooped mids with a bright treble shimmer and tight bass.

If you want to make a 'British' amp sound 'American' and vice versa, the best bet is usually a power tube swap and perhaps different speakers.
Quote by kyle62
To clear a few things up, a pedal can heavily affect the tone of an amp, but the 'voicing' (a term that's thrown around a lot, but it basically means the circuit and components the amp designer has chosen to achieve a particular sound) remains the same. The sound is then further influenced by the speaker you choose to run it into.

Either way, giving names to different voicings is usually gross generalisation; every design sounds pretty different.
When we say 'British' we really mean any amp with a strong midrange, chimey highs and natural compression while 'American', broadly speaking, means scooped mids with a bright treble shimmer and tight bass.

If you want to make a 'British' amp sound 'American' and vice versa, the best bet is usually a power tube swap and perhaps different speakers.

gota disagree with you on this one... sort of. "american" voiced amps don't scoop their mids. infact, mid scooping is something that VERY FEW amp manufacturers will SELDOM do. more often it's the kids at home who want a great "bedroom tone" who do the scooping. "american" voiced amps are akin to a smoother eq with more highs and lows than a british voiced amp, but by no means scooped. i agree that these terms are both generalizations, but they fall within their own parameters, rendering them not "wrong," but rather "vague." while this is not universally true, it often holds that the mid spike from el34 tubes makes their use synonymous with the "british" voice. likewise, the smoother frequency response of 6L6's makes them ideal for use with "american" voiced amps, which are prefered for scooped tones.

EDIT: also, just to be clear, I'm not saying that tubes are the only factor in an amp's "voice." There are many factors and component choices that each play a role in this.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
gota disagree with you on this one... sort of. "american" voiced amps don't scoop their mids. infact, mid scooping is something that VERY FEW amp manufacturers will SELDOM do. more often it's the kids at home who want a great "bedroom tone" who do the scooping. "american" voiced amps are akin to a smoother eq with more highs and lows than a british voiced amp, but by no means scooped. i agree that these terms are both generalizations, but they fall within their own parameters, rendering them not "wrong," but rather "vague." while this is not universally true, it often holds that the mid spike from el34 tubes makes their use synonymous with the "british" voice. likewise, the smoother frequency response of 6L6's makes them ideal for use with "american" voiced amps, which are prefered for scooped tones.

Exactly. I ain't talking Dual Rec metal scooping, more an emphasis on the very high overtones and lows, but it makes it easier to visualise it by saying 'scooped'. Cheers for clarifying things
Thanks. Would you say a VC30 + OD(to add more gain) would at least sound as good as the natural gain of the LC30?
Last edited by PapaSchumpf at Oct 4, 2009,