I am a guitarist (as most of us here are), but I am starting to get interested in growling/singing and the such. I do know the basics (exhale do not inhale, use your diaphram, etc.) I know it does take your throat somewhat, and it takes practice to make your growls better, but I have some questions.

How do you get/have a high pitched scream/growl like a Trevor Strnad or Chuck Schuldiner?
How often should I practice?
How long should my throat actually feel uncomfortable for?
Is there any one certain technique or rule that every vocalist/screamer/growler follow?

Thanks, very much appreciated.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Well, i don't do much heavy metal sort of growls, but i suddenly realized how to do that nice bluesy throaty sound, and a friend of mine says its basically the same thing... just a bit differently voiced.

I take in a deep breath, tilt my head up just a bit and sort of make the back of my tongue puff up... If that makes sense. When you sing the note, push it with your chest and contract your throat a bit.

Hope that helps bud.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Growling thread. It's in the Metal forum and there's a ton of knowledge in it. Great vocalists as well, they can help you.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
For high pitched screams open your mouth bigger and do almost as if you were singing a higher note clean.
You should practice more at first but once you have it down good you really don't need to practice though it helps.
Your throat depending on technique should either have very little or no discomfort. If you have serious discomfort or have it for more than a few days you're screaming wrong and killing your vocal chords.
Any one technique? No there are many different techniques to screaming which all give slightly different sounds.
Quote by fail
\/ <-- my care vagina is empty
Quote by Reeen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dAdsOjVChI&feature=related

I think some techniques which could be useful...

especially the further lessons

Hes really good but it's har to understand how he is explaining how to do it, if that makes sense.

Quote by BladeSlinger
Growling thread. It's in the Metal forum and there's a ton of knowledge in it. Great vocalists as well, they can help you.

I figured it could be placed in here. But thanks, I'll probably take this down and look in there. Thanks
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Last edited by The Philosopher at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by The Philosopher
I am a guitarist (as most of us here are), but I am starting to get interested in growling/singing and the such. I do know the basics (exhale do not inhale, use your diaphram, etc.) I know it does take your throat somewhat, and it takes practice to make your growls better, but I have some questions.

How do you get/have a high pitched scream/growl like a Trevor Strnad or Chuck Schuldiner?
How often should I practice?
How long should my throat actually feel uncomfortable for?
Is there any one certain technique or rule that every vocalist/screamer/growler follow?

Thanks, very much appreciated.

For a high pitched black metal shriek, first off make sure you have the range to do it. If you're a bass you can just shred/snap your chords.

It's hard to explain... but you open your mouth as wide as possible and sort of raise your voicebox/thingy in your throat farther up towards your mouth and it should become higher. Beware though, until your chords are comfortable doing them, they put alot of strain on the throat and can cause damage if you push to hard, or try to go to high.

For high screams it might feel slightly painful... but I don't know if you've ever accidentally screamed using you're throat, but it hurts like HELL. It should still feel pretty comfortable, because you're using your false chords.

I would practice until you sense anymore is bad for you're throat.

On technique, throat should always be as loose as possible, not tense at all.

It's all feel and instinct... If it feels wrong, hurtful, and strained, you'll know to stop.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Oct 2, 2009,
Two places to discuss this already.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.