I recently bought an OD pedal for my guitar amp as a boost. What settings would work best on the OD pedal if it is being strictly used as a boost for my amps gain channel?
Gain at 0, output/level at 10 (or close to) and tone wherever you like it. That simple
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Make sure you turn down your amps gain quite a few notches too.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Turn the gain down all the way. Then turn up the volume until you get the right amount of boost. Tone is whatever you're heart desires.
Just put volume knob up, and with tone it is just whatever you want. But certain effects mix wrongly, so the tone could do with some major tweak. You could even just match the volume, but put the gain a little higher with the tone, that way you get a boost.
Erm, an OD pedal is supposed to be used as a boost.

Anyway, depending on the exact pedal in question, the pickups you use, the amp you're going through and any distortion/fuzz pedals you're using, you may want to reduce the OD pedal's gain control to nothing. Other than that, just jack up the level/volume/output control, tweak the tone controls to your tastes and then if you're still not getting the distortion you want, start to add in a little bit of the pedal's gain.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Erm, an OD pedal is supposed to be used as a boost.

Anyway, depending on the exact pedal in question, the pickups you use, the amp you're going through and any distortion/fuzz pedals you're using, you may want to reduce the OD pedal's gain control to nothing. Other than that, just jack up the level/volume/output control, tweak the tone controls to your tastes and then if you're still not getting the distortion you want, start to add in a little bit of the pedal's gain.

Wrong. A lot of blues players use an OD on the clean channel instead of the amp's natural OD. An OD is a pedal that is suppose to emulate a naturally overdriven amp.

A boost pedal is a boost and an OD can either be used as an OD or a boost.

TS: You don't have to turn down the gain on your amp. What's the point of driving your tubes harder to get more gain if you're just going to turn down your amp's gain? If you turn down your gain then add an OD they will just cancel each other out and you will end up with the same amount of gain you started with.

Keep your gain where you like it and add the OD with the the volume on the OD cranked and the gain cut almost to "0" or all the way to "0".
Quote by darkwolf291
I have a question about it...can you use an OD to boost a Distortion pedal?

sure, or vice-versa.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?