Poll Options
View poll results: Monarcy?
Aye
37 22%
Nay
130 78%
Voters: 167.
Page 1 of 3
I just watched the interview with the Norwegian Crown Prince and Princess and it got me thinking about the idea of monarchy.

What's your opinion on Monarchy?

I, for one, am a supporter of monarchy, at least ours, as it creates a great uniter for our country, and also for a big part of Europe, as most royal families are related in some way.
Enjoy jeppelapp responsibly.

Quote by In The Mist
If you led your life by the pit's advice, you would be in prison on multiple charges of rape.
Down with this sort of thing.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
As long as they have no power, I see no problem.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
God save the Queen.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
I say yes. I wanna wear a pointy crown

Where do I sign up?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by jeppelapp
and also for a big part of Europe, as most royal families are related in some way ridiculously inbred.

Fixed.

No the monarchy is stupid and pointless. The tourism argument doesn't work either, by the way, before someone tries that bull****.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm not sure what to think.

-Unlike democracy, you can't elect a leader. If (s)he is a tyrant, there's nothing the people can do (apart from assasination attempts).
-Why are some people born more important than others?

I don't really have a problem with monarchy, but it's not my preferred form of government, so to speak.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 2, 2009,
I really don't mind actually. I may be in favour, I enjoy the ceremonial and traditional aspects of it. It may be outdated, yeah, but I think it's quite good to have an apolitical head of state, to deal with the ceremonial and aesthetic side of Britain and stay away from politics.

I know most will disagree, but I've always warmed to Monarchy. I think it all started when I first read a book all about kings and queens of England when I ws seven. I suppose I've a bit of a sentimental attachment. The Duke of Edinburgh is comedy gold too.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by jeppelapp

I, for one, am a supporter of monarchy, at least ours, as it creates a great uniter for our country, and also for a big part of Europe, as most royal families are related in some way.

Maybe it'd be alright except for the eventual incest and stuff of that sort...
Personally i like republics and that kind. but i think a monarchy would be good to live in within a certain degree... mostly no crazy dudes
i like the history and feeling of culture the royal family bring to this country so yeah i dont mind having a queen !!
Quote by Simsimius
As long as they have no power, I see no problem.

People shouldn't be funded by the taxpayer to live lives of luxury simply because they come from a certain family.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Holy Katana
As an American, I hate monarchy with a burning passion.

I was going to say this.

I mean, figureheads I don't mind, but given any sort of power, I'm concerned.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
People shouldn't be funded by the taxpayer to live lives of luxury simply because they come from a certain family.

Ah, I forgot that.

Ok, I have no problem providing they have no power and aren't funded by the taxpayer for unnecessary benefits [not including 'PR' visits around the world, etc., which does somewhat serve a purpose].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Ah, I forgot that.

Ok, I have no problem providing they have no power and aren't funded by the taxpayer for unnecessary benefits [not including 'PR' visits around the world, etc., which does somewhat serve a purpose].

So, essentially, you want a royal family purely for sentimental reasons?

Like a living an inbred souvenir or something?
Last edited by sashki at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Well, HRM Haakon Magnus does a great job representing Norway abroad, and as for the Swedish king, his comic relief is worth every krone.

Quote by In The Mist
If you led your life by the pit's advice, you would be in prison on multiple charges of rape.
I'm british and no I dont support the monachy, the whole concept is nothing but an antiquated novelty.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
As of today, kings and queens have little to no power, so their purpose are mostly throwing the hard earned money of millions of people down the river for their own amusement and pleasure. I feel really bad for the british when I see videos of the Buckingham palace. I mean, I'm working my ass off so that the queen can sit her fat ass in a golden chair ?

Monarchy is outdated, and I just find all the related traditions just a waste of time, people and money.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

And one supposedly selected by God, at that.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Fixed.

Ehh, not necessarily true. That's a stereotype, continued after the Hapsburg family, who were ridiculously inbred - insanity, jaw problems and the like - and with most of the Royal houses of Europe being related;but it just seems chippy really.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Ur all $h1t

this, but apart from this, there's not really any harm in it. It's not as if the Queen has any real power anyway.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by damn-right!
I'm british and no I dont support the monachy, the whole concept is nothing but an antiquated novelty.

Hmm...better words than i but i agree
Last edited by cody 0893 at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by sashki
So, essentially, you want a royal family purely for sentimental reasons?

Like a living an inbred souvenir or something?

Exactly. Kinda like a living warning.
But the Royal Families do provide a nice bit of PR. Send the queen somewhere and gain attention from other places, which may increase relations with other countries, etc.
But not at the expense of taxpayers.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
It doesn't really interest me that much. The king might be pretty pointless, but as long as he has no power I don't care about whether or not we have a king. All I know is that I don't want a president.
Quote by Chromex
It doesn't really interest me that much. The king might be pretty pointless, but as long as he has no power I don't care about whether or not we have a king. All I know is that I don't want a president.

Ahh... dont base it on the last two america presidents they arent teh smartest people weve ever had
The British people have a strange sentimental attachment to the monarchy, even though it means nothing anymore. Well, it does, symbolically.
Quote by freddaahh
Ehh, not necessarily true. That's a stereotype, continued after the Hapsburg family, who were ridiculously inbred - insanity, jaw problems and the like - and with most of the Royal houses of Europe being related;but it just seems chippy really.

I don't care. I was just being mean for the sake of it to be honest.

Quote by Simsimius
Exactly. Kinda like a living warning.
But the Royal Families do provide a nice bit of PR. Send the queen somewhere and gain attention from other places, which may increase relations with other countries, etc.
But not at the expense of taxpayers.

That can be done with a president, and at least that way you get someone interesting and qualified.
That's what Ireland does. Our president has no real power other than ceremonial duties like dissolving the parliament etc. Our most recent former president is still representing us really well in her new job in the UN.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by cody 0893
Ahh... dont base it on the last two america presidents they arent teh smartest people weve ever had

I don't base it on the other presidents, I just don't want another person that can make decisions and ****.
Quote by Chromex
I don't base it on the other presidents, I just don't want another person that can make decisions and ****.

A president need not have any more power than the queen has. The Irish president is essentially powerless, she's just a figurehead.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Holy Katana
The British people have a strange sentimental attachment to the monarchy, even though it means nothing anymore. Well, it does, symbolically.

The Queen threatened brown by saying she would dissolve parliament if he wouldn't reveal something. I can't remember what that thing was, but it was something to do with money and MP's.

Basically she can destroy parliament at a whim. That's something.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Chromex

I reckon that if Norway/Sweden/Denmark decided to have a president instead of a king, he/she'd probably have the exact same powers as the royals, without the history. And besides, it's not that fun to make fun of a president seeing as we elected him. Royal families creates interesting personas, just look at the Swedish and Norwegian kings.

Quote by In The Mist
Ah, Hell no.

We still have the damn british queen, pretty annoying having some rich old crone as you're head of state when she's really done nothing for you're country.

Then theirs the whole governor general problem, I mean they have no power anymore, but where still paying them huge wages to sit around and look pretty.
Quote by osXtiger
The Queen threatened brown by saying she would dissolve parliament if he wouldn't reveal something. I can't remember what that thing was, but it was something to do with money and MP's.

Basically she can destroy parliament at a whim. That's something.

She can't really though. Parliament would destroy her, like when the Lords tried to block a budget back in the day and found themselves stripped of their power.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
A president need not have any more power than the queen has. The Irish president is essentially powerless, she's just a figurehead.

Indeed, but most presidents have some power. And besides, if the president won't have any power, you might as well just stick with monarchy.
Page 1 of 3