So, after sitting in and singing on two songs at my guitar teacher's gig, I went back to talk to the owner, who's a friend, and asked him about getting a gig. He's said he might be able to fit me in with another band, for an hour.

Now, I need some advice for preparing. He said he thinks its best for me to go for well-known covers (the bar's clientele is generally middle-aged/old people, plus the people I'll be able to bring from school), but I have a few originals I'll try and toss in. I'll post the tentative set list in the thread for it. Anyway.

-I'm not sure how to go about practicing. I think I'm going to print out lyric sheets, but make sure I know all the chord changes, because that will be harder to read. But I'm not sure when I've "nailed" a song, really.
-I'm having trouble with my voice. A lot of the time, it either goes too low, or too high, which I remember being a difficulty when I sang into the mic, my voice went a bit sub-sonic, or it hit the slightly breaking level. This, I suppose I'll work on with practice.
-All my songs end up at about 2-3 minutes long, covers included. This is partly because I either delete solos and instrumental breaks or cut them down, but I dunno if it's a problem?
-Solos are causing me problems - for blues songs, I'm OK at flicking between chords and little licks, and it's pretty OK-sounding on the acoustic. But, I wanted to cover Plug in Baby by Muse, and I've got doubts about the lead parts, since there won't be anything behind it. Does this work, in your experience?

Are there any other things you would advise? Cheers.
for me, a rule of thumb is that it's pointless to have a solo with nothing behind it. i love orchestrating entire songs for one guitar. it lets you keep some instrumental melodies without them sounding empty. so far i've put together guitar versions of one love by bob marley, mandy goes to med school by the dresden dolls, and rubber band man by the spinners. take a look at what classical guitar music does with bass notes and melody lines and try to replicate that
Ah, don't get a gig if your voice isn't ready. Practise til you're 101% sure you've got it down.

If you're doing this gig SIMPLY FOR FUN, then just go and have a blast. If you're actually planning on getting more gigs in the future, then take the advice above.

Song choice: go for 'fun' sounding, upbeat songs. You're in a bar. People are drinking and having fun. Don't make em depressed :P

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
I can still remember my first solo gig. Nerve-Racking! Practice your set list as many times as you can, and sing as well as you can. If you have a PA, or an acoustic amp, plug it in and get a listen to your voice, and work on that.

Songs? - For acoustic bar covers I have some sudgesstions, as they have worked well for me.

Hotel California
Folsom Prision Blues
Wonderwall
Knocking on Heavens Door
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Ghost Riders in the Sky
Santa Monica
Hey there "Dilila" or "Delila" - Plain White Tees
A Country Boy Can Survive
Black - Pearl Jam
Polly/About a Girl/In the Pines - Nirvana
Wish you Were Here
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204