First let me start off my saying if your just going to put me down or whatever save it and leave. So far people have been nothing but rude to me and what I ask. Ok now, Ive been playing about a year and Ive gotten pretty good. I pretty much just picked up on the guitar. I dont have a budget at all (200-250). I have an Epiphone SG Speciall II, nothing special about it though lol. I know everyone says "Get a good amp first!!" but the band our band plays with pitched it and we share quarter stacks when we play. My question to you is do you think it is a good idea to put a set of EMG's into my Emily(SG)? Ive played guitars with them and I love the distortion and crunch I got out of them.
What amp do you have?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Im not too good with things but im pretty sure its a marshall jcm 800 head. and the cab
it should say it right on the face of the head. but if u really do have a jcm800 and dont know it...i hate u haha.

as far as emgs go, if u like the playability of ur guitar, emgs dont vary as much as other pickups from guitar to guitar. if u have the money, why not? when u get a better guitar u can rip em out and put em in that.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
it is a jcm800 lol. and i love the playability of my guitar. im really excited because the pickups i have in my guitar are stock. and their really just magnets in a 170$ guitar nothing good. real muddy lol
yea epiphone pickups are pretty lame. well i say go for it then if u got the money. keep the stock ones around so u can put them back in when u sell it and put the emgs in a new guitar whenever that happens, but for now, enjoy!

ps. if u arent too keen on EMGs, if u play mostly heavy rhythms, go 81/85, if u play some play some cleans sometimes, go 81/60. and def do the 18v mod. all it takes is a few battery clips, and wire strippers. (there SHOULD be enough space for 1 battery under each pickup, but dont quote me on that, never owned an SG myself).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
a jcm 800 is a great amp. EMGs will go well with it.

the only real downside of EMGs is if you're changing from passives, you'll have to replace everything but the switch. No big deal because EMGs come from the factory already wired up to pots and a jack. Just add your old switch.
Quote by IronDude10
First let me start off my saying if your just going to put me down or whatever save it and leave. So far people have been nothing but rude to me and what I ask. Ok now, Ive been playing about a year and Ive gotten pretty good. I pretty much just picked up on the guitar. I dont have a budget at all (200-250). I have an Epiphone SG Speciall II, nothing special about it though lol. I know everyone says "Get a good amp first!!" but the band our band plays with pitched it and we share quarter stacks when we play. My question to you is do you think it is a good idea to put a set of EMG's into my Emily(SG)? Ive played guitars with them and I love the distortion and crunch I got out of them.
Dumbest question, ever.

Our opinion of whether it's worth it or not, doesn't friggin matter. It's all about what it's worth ... to you. They're gonna cost about $180~190 for a pair. They won't make your fretboard more playable or your neck more comfy. They'll just give you a tone that you seem to like. Is that worth nearly 200 bucks to you? If so, do it. If not, don't. Simple, really.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I only ask this question SomeoneYouKnew because to put the ones I want my guitar is going to have to be routed out. and its a really thin guitar. I only say is it worth it because i did want to guitars stability to become weaker with all the routing its going to get. And Invader Jim I also am getting them used and installed for 180. Im cant route so its a pretty good deal to me lol
The guy replacing the pickups said he would probably have to route. Like i said i really dont know anything about putting new parts in.
You don't have to route to put EMGs into a guitar. The guy is ripping you off.

Unless he's talking about routing for the battery, just say you want the battery in the control cavity and you'll save a fair bit of money.