Ok well i recently put on a set of Not Even Slinky's onto my 87' Spotlight and everything was great til after a bit of a shred session i noticed a rattling noise coming from the headstock whenever i would move the guitar... The G String (the unwound plain G string btw,) somehow messed up the Tuning Peg and loosened it... I just need to know how to fix this quick this is going to bug me all night long haha....

(sorry if this is the wrong forum)
check the washer and screws that tighten to the headstock, should be all you need. if it still moves from there, you may have an issue inside the mechanism.
------

Shwiggity.
Thanks for the advice, i just wasn't too sure how to do it right and i dont want to damage my guitar in any way possible... It's too god damn precious to me :P... you think its likely that string might have caused this?

edit: yea thats not working too well.. i removed the washer and nut but i think its more... ill look into it a bit more... and ugh... paint is stripped... just what i wanted to avoid... crap...
I think it is inside the mechanism... what now... ive removed the entire thing and attempted to tighten it and its still not working well... do i need a new machinehead?
yea that didn't do much either... it also probably doesn't help that this guitar is quiet rare and hard to come by. All the parts are outdated and obsolete... I've been meaning to replace things but money issues have come up so i guess this may just be another thing on that ever growing list
Quote by 666IronDeth666
Thanks for the advice, i just wasn't too sure how to do it right and i dont want to damage my guitar in any way possible... It's too god damn precious to me :P... you think its likely that string might have caused this?

edit: yea thats not working too well.. i removed the washer and nut but i think its more... ill look into it a bit more... and ugh... paint is stripped... just what i wanted to avoid... crap...

You're supposed to TIGHTEN it, not remove it.
And i did, it got to the point where i was stripping the paint of the nut, then it still shook... thats why i took the whole thing off to have a better look... and well... its within the mechanism... nothing that i see that i can do with that...

and yes i will have pictures
Last edited by 666IronDeth666 at Oct 2, 2009,
With no string tension on it sometimes the peg itself will wiggle a bit even if your nut is tight. Its normal. Just tighten it to a snug, and leave it alone.
Quote by Matt420740
With no string tension on it sometimes the peg itself will wiggle a bit even if your nut is tight. Its normal. Just tighten it to a snug, and leave it alone.

well thats the thing... I had it tightened up completely with a 24 on it tuned to Eb so it had ALOT of tension on it... thats when i first noticed the wiggling and stuff... I think its more than this, the G String tuner has always been kind of... odd... It would tune very sharply sometimes and sometimes not all (meaning i would twist it a little and it would jump a whole friggin step)

edit: Pics are here if this helps any... don't see how ti would

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7896/1002092029.jpg
Last edited by 666IronDeth666 at Oct 2, 2009,
put it back on and tighten it and see if there's a difference before making any big decisions.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by 666IronDeth666
well thats the thing... I had it tightened up completely with a 24 on it tuned to Eb so it had ALOT of tension on it... thats when i first noticed the wiggling and stuff... I think its more than this, the G String tuner has always been kind of... odd... It would tune very sharply sometimes and sometimes not all (meaning i would twist it a little and it would jump a whole friggin step)

edit: Pics are here if this helps any... don't see how ti would

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7896/1002092029.jpg

It shouldn't wiggle with that much tension on it even if it was loose. The tuners jumping a whole step is common among cheap tuner keys. I guess my best advice is to replace the tuners. I recommend Grover. For around 50 bucks you can get a nice set of 18-1 ratio tuners.
Yea, put it back on and put a new string on... no changes... its something ill do eventually, i need a few new things on this sucker... Any idea if grover makes em in black? if so any specific suggestions on models of them and stuff?
Quote by 666IronDeth666
Yea, put it back on and put a new string on... no changes... its something ill do eventually, i need a few new things on this sucker... Any idea if grover makes em in black? if so any specific suggestions on models of them and stuff?

Yes they make them in black. I personally like the Grover Rotomatic 18-1 series.
alright, thanks a bunch man, ill look into that once i get my paycheck, btw, i checked out your youtube, great stuff, got me to subscribe