But I'm at least specific! Was wondering about two different amp selections that I was considering, short term and long term.

On the short end of the stick, I'm looking at a fender hot rod deluxe, mostly for the OD and the fine cleans. The OD at low volume is kind of tedious, but acceptable enough. I'd use it as a bedroom amp as well as for gigging. Might buy a pedal for higher gain stuff and the like.

On the long end, possibly selling the hot rod should I get it, I'm considering a peavy windsor, which you guys seem quite keen on recommending. Specifically I'm looking for a stack that delivers hendrix tones with heavy clipping and depth. The kind of compression and dynamics you only get with high volume and can't replicate with OD pedals. Now you would probably say I could get a cheaper tube head for this, but I'm really looking for something that delivers like a 59 plexi head or a jcm800. I'd also like the cleans to be loud enough for a gig, but I could always mess with attenuation for that.

Of course, it would be preferable if I could have a head or combo like that that did that as well as your standard hard rock tones and presence filled distortion, but I'm willing to settle for powerful OD.

These songs demonstrate roughly the sounds I want to get out of this thing well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-iX0msrmCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pqUJf3r_k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFp-DlVNtk

Doesn't have to be as nice as a Dr z or cornford, just fitting these parameters.

Budget for the long term can go as high as 1500+. For short term, 700.
Let me say this, the OD on the Hot Rod Deluxe is horrid sounding, at every volume im. I'd really stay away from that amp in that price range, unless you purchase it used for $350 and get in modded. Peavey Windsor isn't that great either, but then again, with modding it you can get a pretty decent amp.
From the videos, you won't be able to get the Hendrix sound with out a fuzz pedal or O/D. The Windsor is only like $199 anyways, so I guess you could mod it and sell it if you didn't like it. But it's really a one-trick pony.

But, I'd really recommend the Randall MTS series, you'll be able to get plenty of modules which sound pretty damn good to cover all those bases you want (Plexi , JTM, Blackface etc.)
Plus, when you decide to play that high gain stuff, you can get a XTC or Treadplate etc. All the modules have a little added gain on them so I really think it'd be a perfect fit for you. Also, you could probably find an old JCM800 combo for not that much, probably $800. Just my take, some may disagree.
Last edited by thrasher. at Oct 2, 2009,
JCM 800 from the 80's, not a reissue (combo will run you approx 800-1000 USD, head is 1000-1200 USD, 1960 4x12 is 300-600 USD), or a Plexi kit/clone.

Quote by thrasher.
Let me say this, the OD on the Hot Rod Deluxe is horrid sounding, at every volume im. I'd really stay away from that amp in that price range, unless you purchase it used for $350 and get in modded. Peavey Windsor isn't that great either, but then again, with modding it you can get a pretty decent amp.
From the videos, you won't be able to get the Hendrix sound with out a fuzz pedal or O/D. The Windsor is only like $199 anyways, so I guess you could mod it and sell it if you didn't like it. But it's really a one-trick pony.

But, I'd really recommend the Randall MTS series, you'll be able to get plenty of modules which sound pretty damn good to cover all those bases you want (Plexi , JTM, Blackface etc.)
Plus, when you decide to play that high gain stuff, you can get a XTC or Treadplate etc. All the modules have a little added gain on them so I really think it'd be a perfect fit for you. Also, you could probably find an old JCM800 combo for not that much, probably $800. Just my take, some may disagree.

Trouble is retailers rarely have any randalls in stock, but I'll see if I can order one or try out a friend's. Thanks for the detailed suggestions!