I am planning on getting a WMD Geiger counter Distortion pedal and I am looking for an amp that can make the most out of the pedal (and to replace my cube). I had considered a boogie before but getting my distortion from a $300 pedal it would seem to be an expensive redundancy.
I want a amp with nice cleans, will sound good getting high distortion from a pedal and preferably will be able to reach decent amounts of gain on its own (Hella -ish distortion I guess for a reference).
Additional things to consider:
I don't want to spend very much, preferably under $600
I want headroom enough to play along with drums but also want to be able to turn it down for bedroom levels with it still sounding pretty good.
Three band eq please, since I don't want to have to buy a pedal to get shaping of more than my high band (**** tone control on amps)
I like to play big sounding atmospheric type stuff like post rock/metal and Deloused in the Comatorium type stuff, so I would like a natural sounding spring reverb and a fx loop since I will use a lot of delay.
If it matters my guitars are an 80s Kramer with a JB and two singles, and Ibanez with a muddy pooey humbucker that I should replace, and when I get around to finishing it an all maple guitar that will have a short scale and a gfs blade humbucker.

I was thinking of a Fender Hotrod (Deluxe) but have also been interested by Egnater Rebels, Bugera V22 and possibly american sounding Traynors. Any ideas on anything I'm missing out on, anything with great value, or anything I've overlooked please share.
You'd probably be able to use a blues deluxe to great success. They're great amps, and to turn off the "brightness"... well just turn off the bright switch. Simple as that. Some of THE best cleans I've ever heard.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
The Blues Deluxe looks good, but it's more expensive then the Hotrod deluxe. Do you know if that's really justifiable? Seems to me like its not worth it.
**** the Legacy (nothing against you, or the amp itself really) Its just 100w is excessive and I'm not spending over a grand on an amp if I can avoid it.
Blue Deluxe is Just a F**KING BEAST

best clean ever and decent distortion,you can do metal with it if you throw a few pedal in front of it

And check craiglist for used stuff
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Jonsin
The Blues Deluxe looks good, but it's more expensive then the Hotrod deluxe. Do you know if that's really justifiable? Seems to me like its not worth it.
**** the Legacy (nothing against you, or the amp itself really) Its just 100w is excessive and I'm not spending over a grand on an amp if I can avoid it.

They routinely sell for around ~$600. And why does the wattage matter in the slightest, if you're going to be using a distortion pedal? I don't see how a 100W tube amp can be called 'excessive', and a 40W isn't.

Also, the Blues Deluxe is nothing short of an awful choice. It's a fairly bright amp, and doesn't handle distortion well at all. The cleans will sound great but as soon as you step on that distortion pedal it'll go all harsh and fizzy - the speakers and tone stack just aren't designed for that kind of playing.

How about a Mesa F-30 or DC-5 then?
Quote by kyle62
They routinely sell for around ~$600. And why does the wattage matter in the slightest, if you're going to be using a distortion pedal? I don't see how a 100W tube amp can be called 'excessive', and a 40W isn't.

Also, the Blues Deluxe is nothing short of an awful choice. It's a fairly bright amp, and doesn't handle distortion well at all. The cleans will sound great but as soon as you step on that distortion pedal it'll go all harsh and fizzy - the speakers and tone stack just aren't designed for that kind of playing.

How about a Mesa F-30 or DC-5 then?

Wait wait wait... you piss on the blues deluxe and then recommend amps that have some of the most fizzy distortion ever?

Did you not read? He already has a 200+ dollar distortion pedal, why does he need on amp distortion?

OP. Get the blues deluxe. Its worth every penny and more. Its a great amp for everything you want.

Or get the hotrod. Both amazing amps.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Oct 2, 2009,
I play through a Blues Deluxe. Although I'll say I think it's a great amp, it is still a very bright amp, even with the brightness switch off. You'll also find that it doesn't push much drive on it's own. I'd probably look towards something else for what you want.
Not a huge fan of bees
Last edited by Gelato at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by sesstreets
Wait wait wait... you piss on the blues deluxe and then recommend amps that have some of the most fizzy distortion ever?

What, the Mesa F-series and the Carvin Legacy? Are we talking about the same amps here?

And the Blues Deluxe is a beautiful amp, especially for blues to classic rock. For higher-gain modern applications the voicing is totally wrong; there's thousands of more suitable amps.
Quote by kyle62
What, the Mesa F-series and the Carvin Legacy? Are we talking about the same amps here?

And the Blues Deluxe is a beautiful amp, especially for blues to classic rock. For higher-gain modern applications the voicing is totally wrong; there's thousands of more suitable amps.

gotta agree with you on this one, kyle.
Quote by kyle62

+1

The Blues Deluxe is even brighter than the Hot Rod and that one's already really bright. TS, I'd get a Carvin X100B if you want a dark American clean tone. The cleans on that amp are awesome and the distortion isn't too shabby either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^I don't think the X100B is American voiced. Something like a Bassman or an Ampeg would do the job better. So would something like a Crate Stealth. Another option is Solid State, since you're using a dirt box. In which case damn near any one will do

An Ampeg VT-22 would get it done well.
Quote by imgooley
^I don't think the X100B is American voiced. Something like a Bassman or an Ampeg would do the job better. So would something like a Crate Stealth. Another option is Solid State, since you're using a dirt box. In which case damn near any one will do

I was just thinking about a Bassman myself, they aren't as shrill as other Fenders when presented by high gain levels.

Really, if you're playing ambient-type stuff you can get away with any amp for cleans; so you might as well get something as versatile as possible. I 'm fairly certain Cedric from the Mars Volta uses Oranges, which are as British as they come.

A Sovtek MIG50 might suit you well too.
I was a little afraid of the blues amps sounding bright and not handling distortion well.

@Kyle: I understand 40w is excessive, but I don't want to spend more money to get even more excessive and get further away from ever getting to use power amp distortion.

I thought about bassmans before, but they're over a grand. Anyone know of any similar sounding amps or clones, preferably in the <50w range
I agree with the Ampeg 22.

You could also look into a Line6 Spider Valve. They are going for very cheap these days because they are being replaced by a newer version.
Something about Spider Valve scares me (not that I've heard it, it's kind of like a redneck and homophobia, no real reason) are there settings are them that maintain the analog integrity of the signal by cutting out the less than amazing effects?

I would prefer not to have to look around very hard to get an amp (buying used, out of production amps from online) unless the value is well worth it.
Like somebody else said, Omar uses Oranges, so keep that in mind. Also, the Geiger Counter doesn't do much in the way of normal tones, so you should look at an amp with good on-board gain as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Fiddlesticks, I thought that one of the 256 wave tables would have just had a simple sine wave that I could turn up the gain and it be a decent high gain sound (I still dabble in metal so I guess that should be a consideration)

I believe Omar only (or primarily) uses Oranges live. I read in an interview "I use a lot of combo amps when I record--mostly an AC 30 and some really small Supro amps, maybe a Fender Twin here and there, and a couple of time I used a Marshall head." Also they're out of my price range. And I'm not looking to copy Omar, I was just saying I want spring reverb and an effects loop.
Quote by imgooley

****. I don't know why I put that as American voiced I must've spaced out for a minute. It's got damn nice cleans though and that was my point.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I had another idea, what about bass amps? Are there any bass amps that sound especially good with guitar, are modern voiced and (optional) have mid-gain distortion and reverb?

Also, are there any full range speakers which sound good with guitar. I'm thinking I might want to use my amp for bass, keyboards and weird electronic creations and I don't want to blow my speakers playing 44Hz at 148db