I haven't been to the forum in a LONG time, so if this is mentioned somewhere, help me not get b& please!

I'm trying to choose between these two fine amps (Triple Rectifier and Rev+1) and need some interwebs help. I went down to my local Guitar center and they only had a Triple Rectifier and I was pretty set on that, but a lot of my guitarist peers heard I was looking at Mesa Boogies and told me Krank was better than Mesa for my style.

I play a lot of Death Metal, so that is my priority, its how I bring home the laydeez ;P, I do like classic rock and regular metal (Pantera, Lamb of God, Metallica, etc...) and I dabble in clean sounds and reggae. I am concerned about the need for tone shaping pedals as well, are either of these heads going to need a lot, or is an MXR KFK 10 band eq enough?

I would appreciate educated feedback, preferably from someone who has used both amplifier heads, but "Mesa boogie is best" is not going to help me, "Mesa/krank will give you an edge over mesa/krank because _________ however [other point] so in the end [your choice over the other or whatever]" would be the Ideal answer as I'm sure you guys know

Thanks!
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
I can't really speak from experience, but I can lay down some facts.

Rectos have a very notorious reputation for being loose as ****. You'll need an overdrive to tighten it up.

Kranks, from what I've heard, are tight, but can be sterile-ish (might only be referring to the Krankenstein, which is sterile.

From soundclips I've heard, I personally like the Boogies better. Kranks just aren't really my cup of tea... aside from the Chadwick.

Both are definitely tweaker's amps. I know LoG uses Mk. III/IV, as did Metallica...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Yeah, I got the Idea for the Triple from Cannibal Corpse since they used them for Evisceration Plague, but I think they shaped the hell out of the tone. I just haven't played the Revolution+ to compare with or I wouldn't even need most of this thread!

Anyone with either amp recommend any tone shaping pedals, settings, mods, etc...?
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
Ask MatrixClaw. I believe he's played both, and should be able to help you more than I can.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
As far as the eq pedal goes, if you don't like the way the amp sounds no amount of playing with the eq will really remedy your problem. I've got the non sig version and I just use it to boost the mids a little. I haven't been able to play a krank, but my buddy had a dual recto and it sounded like ass no matter what he did with it, and what I've heard from the Krank sounds tighter and more focused than anything a recto could pull off. Whichever you end up getting, I highly recomend an overdrive. I've got a Maxon OD-808 and the difference it makes is amazing.
Quote by reesork
As far as the eq pedal goes, if you don't like the way the amp sounds no amount of playing with the eq will really remedy your problem. I've got the non sig version and I just use it to boost the mids a little. I haven't been able to play a krank, but my buddy had a dual recto and it sounded like ass no matter what he did with it, and what I've heard from the Krank sounds tighter and more focused than anything a recto could pull off. Whichever you end up getting, I highly recomend an overdrive. I've got a Maxon OD-808 and the difference it makes is amazing.

No offense to your friend or anything...but he's an idiot if he couldn't get a dual rec to sound good! I A/Bed my amp side by side a recto (my ideal amp AFAIK) and the recto won hands down, but my b-52 came close. It just didn't have the same depth as the recto.

I also A/Bed it with.... A Krank Rev+! The Krank is definately tighter, but it didn't have the same thump as the Recto! Even with a boost on the Krank, the Recto definately won it for me. You have to remember though, the way boogies are wired you MUST crank it some to get anything other than a flabby fuzzy sound. Also, their eq works funny; like if you take out some of the mids, it also cuts some of the treb and bass. You have to find the sweet spot EVERYWHERE

It definately takes some tweaking, but you can EASILY make a recto melt faces with your toanz.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
i've tried both amps. on both of them, its hard to find a good tone, and keep in mind that especially with these types of amps, they sound very different when you're playing with a band. play the krank in guitar center, might sound a bit brittle and whatnot, then go to any fairly underground metal show, there's a 50% chance that one of the bands will be using a krank (from my experience at least),and they'll have that brutal thick sound. so its hard to judge with these amps. personally i would get a krank because i think it has more punch than a recto, but the triple might be your thing.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Try the KranK first. like nutinpwnsgibson said its pretty hard to get a good tome BUT if play around with the EQ and the sweep knob you MIGHT get your desired tone.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
A concern I will raise that no one else has is this.. Kranks are hell to shape on the EQ. The sweep knob which can make your life hell. However, once you learn how to work the sweep with the EQ, the Krank is a versatile amp.

Since you've a diverse style, I'd recommend the Krank. Its tight as hell and slightly more diverse than the Triple.

I've not played the Rev+, but I own the Rev Jr Pro. Like the others have mentioned, MC will be able to tell you more. Personally I don't like the cleans or the distortion of the Triple.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I dont have the Rev+ but i have the Rev and i only play Death Metal its a tricky amp and i did not like it at first took me a while to work out the sweep and EQ once dialed in tho its tight and has a lot of low end punch sounds awesome .. the other guitarist in my band has a Dual Recto both amps sound great but the krank imo is just a bit tighter .. however it let me down it BLEW UP! just before a gig.. however since fixed its been fine.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
The Krank will be quite a bit tighter and just overall be better for Death Metal IMO. Rectos are good amps, but when I think of their tone, I think hardrock where loose is fine, or boosted for metal core.

If you do decide to go with a Recto, get an older two channel one, they sound miles better and are quite a bit tighter.

The Krank will take a while to dial in because it relies heavily on the sweep knob to achieve a good tone; however, their cleans are much better than the Recto and it is able to dial in a tone very close to a more aggressive Mesa Mark IV.

I'm assuming you're buying new? There's tons of other amps I'd really consider before I bought either of those. If you go used, you'll open up at hell of a lot more options for amps that sound better than both of those amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by reddeath959
Yeah, I got the Idea for the Triple from Cannibal Corpse since they used them for Evisceration Plague, but I think they shaped the hell out of the tone.

They also used Kelley Modded Metal Zones with them..................no I'm not trolling, it is the truth

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
They also used Kelley Modded Metal Zones with them..................no I'm not trolling, it is the truth

its is
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me